PDA

View Full Version : aussie locker ?

cz858
12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I thought of spooling my font but most of you say itís a bad idea so Iím back to square one. So Iív moved up the list of cheap ways of getting traction and it landed me here aussie lockers they want 239.00$us and claim I can put it in with out removing the carrier but that depends on my gearing the reason this is appealing to me is because I have no knowledge of setting up gearing so I donít want to go screwing around with that. My first question has any one installed one? My second is how do I determine my gearing I think I still have a diff tag will it be there if no what am I looking for? And if I do have to remove my carrier to install will I need any tools to reinstall or just reverse installation? Thanks for your help.

blacksn95
12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I thought of spooling my font but most of you say itís a bad idea so Iím back to square one. So Iív moved up the list of cheap ways of getting traction and it landed me here aussie lockers they want 239.00$us and claim I can put it in with out removing the carrier but that depends on my gearing the reason this is appealing to me is because I have no knowledge of setting up gearing so I donít want to go screwing around with that. My first question has any one installed one? My second is how do I determine my gearing I think I still have a diff tag will it be there if no what am I looking for? And if I do have to remove my carrier to install will I need any tools to reinstall or just reverse installation? Thanks for your help.

Search online for install and pics.. It's quite easy to install.. as for your gears you can mark you driveshaft while the tires are off the ground. then rotate the tire one full rotation and count how many times the driveshaft rotates.

Hope that helps

OldEnuff
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I installed a lockrite locker (nearly identical to the aussie locker) in the front of my '85 Bronco. It is a solid axle but the D44 carrier is the same as the one in your TTB.

With the solid axle you just pull the diff cover off and do the install but with the TTB you have to remove the front driveshaft and axles to pull the third member out.
This is the housing that contains the carrier, bearings and gears and it bolts to the drivers side TTB arm

You DO NOT have to remove the ring gear from the carrier or the pinion gear from the housing.

The locker will come with full instructions on how to remove the side and spider gears and install the locker unit.

It is fairly straight forward if you do most of your own mech work.