PDA

View Full Version : Spool in the front??

cz858
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok I have decided to mini spool my 8.8 my truck is not a DD and I donít mind a lil scuffing and I like the fact that if I do need to drive it on the road a lot I can switch back. But now I come to my front end I have read a lot about this and a lot of people say get a locker but I donít have the funds the biggest thing iv read is you lose your turning radius but donít you in a locker as well? I know you can unlock and keep going with a locker but canít I do that as well with my hubs with a spool?? Is the steering loss that much? enough to say I want the steering more that the traction? Any and all input would be appreciated. Keep in mind I want the most traction I can get but I donít have thousands of dollars to spend.

cz858
12-15-2008, 10:02 PM
nothing but bad feed back about this evan on the rear so far but i still cant find a better way to get some traction with out big $$

85_GMC_4x4
12-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't reccomend it. The truck won't turn worth crap with a spooled front, plus it put's a LOT of stress on the front.

I welded my front once...replaced it within a year. Welded rear seems to be fine, but not the front.

vern
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
A buddy spooled his front and rear, only locks one hub until he runs into difficulty. Then he just has to lock the other hub. He seems to have little problem with it. Just dont forget to unlock one hub once your back onto the fsr.

ri0
12-24-2008, 06:48 AM
I had a welded front and rear back in the day...then I went to an arb locker...
I will NEVER go back to welded or spooled front...spooled rear for a trail rig is just fine...you will hate having a spooled front, unless you put in hyrdo assist...I had cross over steering on 37's

if you are going to do it...save your money and go arb...the best investment I have done to my rig...what a differance...

offroad wise
spooled front with one hub locked is worse than an open front
arb in the open position I found to be better than a stock open diff, when it starts to get hard then...flick a switch, then your locked up solid...get passed the obstical then unlock...

spools, or welded is very hard on your whole front end.

In The Zone
12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
selectable or open
spooled or welded front will cost$$
in repairs compared to the cost of a good selectable locker.

jonny6door
12-24-2008, 02:09 PM
i spooled the rear and love it. i spooled the front and drove it about 1 km and took it out. probably the worst idea ever. locked rear open front all the way. trust me it just doesnt work the way you think it would. way more negatives than positives.

if you want more traction just let out air in your tires. you will be suprised at how much more traction you have because of the larger footprint of the tire and ts ability to conform to the ground better. and its free. ive got 46's and only run 1.5 - 3 psi max for offroad and 8 for the street.
________
KAWASAKI M5 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_M5)

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
i run a 35 spline power lock an dit works great for the money and its serviceable