PDA

View Full Version : Brake Gremlin

Vastier
12-14-2008, 12:47 PM
So I've still got this intermittent brake problem still. Only happens after I've been on the highway and doesn't seem to matter what kind of pressure is applied. I just slightly touch the brakes and the front left pretty much locks up. Not fun coming into the turn off the highway I'll tell ya. It's already been to the brake shop and had the whole service thing done with the calipers freshened up....just can't figure out what's up with the whole highway thing. The front left gets smelling pretty warm after being on the highway too. Not the wheel bearing...checked that.
So the brake guys say there's nothing wrong. So why am I pulling avoidance maneuvers to the ditch when I touch my breaks?
It does go away once the brakes have cooled and doesn't seem to happen with normal driving. Only highway.
Any thoughts?

kootenaycat
12-14-2008, 12:58 PM
So I've still got this intermittent brake problem still. Only happens after I've been on the highway and doesn't seem to matter what kind of pressure is applied. I just slightly touch the brakes and the front left pretty much locks up. Not fun coming into the turn off the highway I'll tell ya. It's already been to the brake shop and had the whole service thing done with the calipers freshened up....just can't figure out what's up with the whole highway thing. The front left gets smelling pretty warm after being on the highway too. Not the wheel bearing...checked that.
So the brake guys say there's nothing wrong. So why am I pulling avoidance maneuvers to the ditch when I touch my breaks?
It does go away once the brakes have cooled and doesn't seem to happen with normal driving. Only highway.
Any thoughts?

Did you have the calipers rebuilt or replaced? If replaced, bad caliper out of the box? Seen that before. Also a bad brake hose will cause that, swells up on the inside. Rotor thickness? Is one below specs? Will heat up easier then the other and cause heat fade.

Vastier
12-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Brakes are 90% and the calipers where just serviced. I'm leaning toward the lines myself.

B
12-14-2008, 03:13 PM
swap front lines side for side and rebleed if no difference id do the wheel bearing hub next you can always keep it as a spare ... u will need to do em eventually with the larger tires anyways let us know how it turns out ...

Vastier
12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
swap front lines side for side and rebleed if no difference id do the wheel bearing hub next you can always keep it as a spare ... u will need to do em eventually with the larger tires anyways let us know how it turns out ...

Hey thanks Bryce, I'll let ya know how it turns out.[cheers]

Happypants
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
either that or his right calipers fucked and the left is working, pulling it to the left when braking, i cant see it being a wheel bearing, when mine went last weekend my fucking tires started wobbling really bad, like insane death wobble,

dh_4_ever
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
thats true, but the axle aaron gave me had a seized wheel bearing.. duhno how that happened.. usually they get sloppy[cheers]

Vastier
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
either that or his right calipers fucked and the left is working, pulling it to the left when braking, i cant see it being a wheel bearing, when mine went last weekend my fucking tires started wobbling really bad, like insane death wobble,

Good point about the right side Nick. I'll be checking it out today. [cheers]

B
12-16-2008, 10:45 AM

it was just that he said the calipers had been checked twice allready nick ... if it just has some play it can make the caliper grab

[cheers]

and he won't notice it as bad with only the 33's :dontknow: [cheers]

dirka dave
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Figured it out yet ?? [f]

Good thing you're not on flat rate....:rolleyes:

:D

Happypants
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
thats true, but the axle aaron gave me had a seized wheel bearing.. duhno how that happened.. usually they get sloppy[cheers]

hehe, i know why it happened, it was a siezed flex joint on a old lift and i got creative with a cutting torch when i was putting in the long arm kit on his jeep hehe, :party0010:

dh_4_ever
12-17-2008, 01:20 AM
jerk. lucky i got a hub for free from steve go fuck yourself

jeepxj89
12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
your problem isnt the caliper or a hose or anything like that. the problem is in the knuckle. i just had to fix this problem myself after the exact same thing happened to me.

if you take your caliper and pads off and look at where the pads slide along the knuckle, top and bottom. the inside pads sometimes vibrate and wear a groove into the knuckle.

when you apply the brakes with the vehicle rolling forward the pads squeeze the rotor, but since theres a groove , they get jammed in the groove and are being forced "forwards" because of the rubbing on the rotor and cant back themselfs off, which in turn makes your brakes lock on.

what i did was took both front brakes apart, got out the welder and grinder, welded the grooves up, grinded the knuckle back down flush with the rest of it, threw some never seize on it and i havent had a problem since...

B
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM
why only when hot then ?

but we have seen what you saying peanut ....

jeepxj89
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM
you can see in this picture where i put the arrows, the grooves have just started on this knuckle. this is where you want to look

jeepxj89
12-18-2008, 05:42 PM
why only when hot then ?

but we have seen what you saying peanut ....

i dunno, mine did the same thing too. was fine when it was cold or when i didnt drive fast. welded it and up no more problems. my guess would be because when your driving in the city or when you first start the truck up, the brakes arent hot and the rotor and pad hasnt expanded at all and theres just enough clearance for it to roll smoothly but once you start going the faster the rotor spins on the pad the more heat builds up and everything expands.