PDA

View Full Version : locked hubs?

shawn_ruley
12-13-2008, 10:09 AM
are there any problems I could be creating for my truck by driving it around with the front hubs locked?

Im a delivery boy and sometimes I have to go up to east K so its nice having 4wd there when I need it, but I wasnt sure if I would be hurting my truck in any way?:dontknow:

crazylike
12-13-2008, 10:13 AM
if there manual locking hubs i wouldn't be driving on concrete with em locked its hard on the front end.

youngun
12-13-2008, 10:41 AM
in the winter is doesn't really matter, i drive with mine locked in on my DD and if i need 4x4 i can just clutch in a pop it into 4x4 on the go........

ToyotaHEAD
12-13-2008, 11:25 AM
if you have a 79-84 SA leaving the hubs locked will wear out the brass spindle bushings. Once these bushing get bad enough the burfield with wobble around and oil will leak past the seal thus contaminating your knuckle grease. Eventrully the oil will thin the grease enough that it will start oozing out around the felt seals and leaving a nasty mess on your tires / ground.

Also driving a SA over 80km/hr is not advised as the burfields (like i said earlier) will wobble.

So aside from the wear on these bushings, no it isnt really hurting anything other than your fuel economy.

However if you have an IFS Toyota leaving the hub locked isnt as taboo. The same style bushing still wear out in the same fasion. The only differance is, driving over 80km/hr is ok.

dirka dave
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd leave them unlocked, you will save on fuel and on unnecessary ware on the front end.

shawn_ruley
12-13-2008, 12:32 PM
ok, thanks for the input. Its an '82 with the solid front so I guesss Ill leave them unlocked[cheers]

Jayota
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
When there is snow on the ground, I leave my hubs locked...
As for high speed... who drives in 4wd at hwy speeds anyways? :)

ToyotaHEAD
12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
When there is snow on the ground, I leave my hubs locked...
As for high speed... who drives in 4wd at hwy speeds anyways? :)

You'd be surprised.... :eek:

dirka dave
12-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I do, in the snow !!!! :D

4 hi, 4 locked[36]

TWOZEROFOUR
12-14-2008, 12:16 AM
i try not to drive over 25kph with my frnt axel locked in,, im always scared my drive shaft will fly thru the floor and sevor my nut sack.. :(

get good tires, i have yet to lock the hubs in the last 48h of straight snowfall here.. and i run open rear diff also bomb up drought hill every morning [cheers]

barracuda
12-14-2008, 02:24 AM
It really isnt as scary as folks would like you to believe .
Although Most NA toys came with manual hubs some came with drive flanges instead .
(these things get driven hundreds of thousands of miles in third world countries and they have the simple drive flanges on them)

Yes it does wear a bit more and consume a bit more fuel in normal day to day use but all in all the trucks were designed to be driven with the front axle engaged . Like anything the more you use it the more you have to maintain it .

I have driven literally thousand of 2wd KM either on hubs locked in or drive flanges in both toys and Suzuki's and have not had any issues with front end wearing prematurely if they are maintained .
As long as all your parts are in good working order it shouldnt hurt it .

dirka dave
12-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Wow, your stuff must be stock...

Try running 37's and 10" of lift.....

barracuda
12-14-2008, 02:27 AM
nope not stock but the front ends that had flanges or that i ran engaged were open . I could never had done that with a ltd slip or an auto locker Your Arb should be fine though.

The japanese made pretty robust products design for some pretty harsh use.

dirka dave
12-14-2008, 02:34 AM
I even notice the differance in my 97' 4Runner when its in Hi4 and its's got crapy auto hubs with slightly larger than stock tires.

barracuda
12-14-2008, 02:41 AM
I even notice the differance in my 97' 4Runner when its in Hi4 and its's got crapy auto hubs with slightly larger than stock tires .

not sure what that has got to do with driveing in 2 wheel drive with the hubs locked in so when he encounters snow all he has to do is shift the Tcase in to 4wd Hi and he will have 4 wheel drive ?

If you have your truck in 4wheel drive with auto hubs you will be in 4 wheel drive

dirka dave
12-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Having the hubs locked in 2wd tranfers power back to the t-case throught the drive shafts, almost the same as driving with auto hubs with 4wd engaged...other than the powere transfer in in the opposite direction and is undoubly greater when in hi4.

The other thing driving with hubs locked is that it causes the differential to rotate and therefore there is a loss of economy due to all that extra rotational force and heat caused by the oil in the diff sloshing around.

It wares out u-joints faster and can give you unnecessay vibrations causing premature tire ware...

just my 2cents. :D

barracuda
12-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Having the hubs locked in 2wd tranfers power back to the t-case throught the drive shafts, almost the same as driving with auto hubs with 4wd engaged...other than the powere transfer in in the opposite direction and is undoubly greater when in hi4.

The other thing driving with hubs locked is that it causes the differential to rotate and therefore there is a loss of economy due to all that extra rotational force and heat caused by the oil in the diff sloshing around.

It wares out u-joints faster and can give you unnecessay vibrations causing premature tire ware...

just my 2cents. :D

If your transfer case had a differential then the comparison would be closer but still not the same . remember the front and rear just like the left and right side do not travel equal distances in curves or corners.
two wheel drive with hubs locked in would not be the same as 4wd-hi with auto hubs.

Secondly the the wear and tear on the front end which was also designed with drive flange use in mind is rotateing without load .(we all know the difference in wear in relation to load) Yes there is more parisitic drag but the wear and tear on a properly maintained front end is minimal .

In reality there are probably more failures due to negligence lack of use or abuse then there is from wear and tear in a properly maintained front end.
I have had both and i do prefer the freewheeling hubs(so i can use locker, ltd slips etc) but the toyota trucks were designed and did come with both hubs or flanges and wont spontainiously explode if used in 2wd with the hubs locked in .

dirka dave
12-14-2008, 03:13 AM
So what you are sayin is that there is ware....

Then common sense would say to unlock them and maintain them.

dirka dave
12-14-2008, 03:14 AM
My truck explodes from time to time... weird.

Jayota
12-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Does it fix itself? I swear mine does.... Leaves the shitty ones for me though.

bob
12-26-2008, 12:14 PM
and when you have time or when your hubs go
http://www.off-road.com/offroad/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=399668

dirka dave
12-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Lots of good reading there......nice link.

HEAVY METAL
12-26-2008, 08:14 PM
i drive fullsize on 39.5's... if i feel that i MIGHT need 4wd i lock my hubs. and shift into 4wd when needed.i have driven long disatnces and high speeds with hubs locked and in 4hi... no issues or problems, so a toyota shoulkd accomplish the same feat no?

dirka dave
12-26-2008, 09:46 PM
no...

barracuda
12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I thought we covered this allready Dirka.

dirka dave
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes you are right, we did...just disagreeing with dean and his full size axles...

dirka dave
12-26-2008, 09:51 PM
It would be birfs vs. u joints...or something like that.