PDA

View Full Version : Spinning my axel.

cz858
12-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I am having a problem I have a 1989 f150 and last weekend I spun my axel I almost took out my ujoint I have had this happen before and all I have to do is put it in reverse and put the brakes on then mat it. The last time it happened I figured I sheared the pin in the spring pack so I took it apart and they where fine I replaced anyway then I went and bought some oversized u bolts but this has not stopped the problem I have a 3in” block in the rear I have thought this may have something to do with it if any one can give me an idea that would be appreciated

Maelthra
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
What you have is called "Axlewrap."

Getting rid of the blocks will help a lot, as well as getting stiffer springs.

Happypants
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
what kinda rear diff you using? im gonna guess being a 89f150 most likely a 8.8? blue torch fab sells a traction link bracket that you weld onto the axle so you can make a traction bar, if your running blocks you will get axle wrap, stock spring perches also do it, my diesel used to get axle wrap till i cut the rear perches off and welded on antiwrap perches that you can buy at t&t auto in maple ridge, there a bit longer than regular perches and are wider, stronger,

here is the link for one of the traction link brackets, they make them for d44`s 60`s and 14bolts, and d35`s,

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=59&products_id=57

i`ll see if i can find some info for ya on a traction bar,

cz858
12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks i think the first thing i will do is lose the block and rearc or buy new springs hope that dose the trick.

Happypants
12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
your in abby anyways, take the leafs to carrier springs, they`ll re-arc them or put a lift into them and not take a chunk of change either, plus they like cash too,

OldEnuff
12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
or do a shackle reversal..... google sky manufaturing

I used their bracket on my 85 bronco and it added about 4 inches of lift............ and the off road ride is much improved

cz858
12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Awesome I tried calling them today but they must be closed Saturdays I will try again on Monday. Is it also true I might get a lil more flex out of my springs after there re arced?

cz858
12-13-2008, 05:11 PM
i will look at at the shackle to im looking for a cheep fix so what ever i can find to fix it at a good price will do

nbrowser
12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Personally, I'd skip re-arcing the springs, they've been put into axle wrap and re-arcing will only cause more weakness, I'd do a new set of leafs with some lift, lose the blocks and you should be fine.

Happypants
12-13-2008, 05:40 PM
re arched springs dont cause more axlewrap, if there not properly put together or too soft you will get axle wrap, get them military wrapped too and you will be fine

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM
i had a friend with the same problem,his axle perches were rounded at both ends

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:24 PM
your in abby anyways, take the leafs to carrier springs, they`ll re-arc them or put a lift into them and not take a chunk of change either, plus they like cash too,
i like those guys they do good work,good price