PDA

View Full Version : Lift Question.... Shackles?

bigrig81
12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey question for y'all with more experience than me.... Pro's and Cons of fabbing my own shackles and mounts for a full-size blazer? Assuming they're built well, what's good/bad about lifting a truck that way? thanks!!

[cheers]

85_GMC_4x4
12-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey question for y'all with more experience than me.... Pro's and Cons of fabbing my own shackles and mounts for a full-size blazer? Assuming they're built well, what's good/bad about lifting a truck that way? thanks!!

[cheers]

Depends. What year blazer? The K series blazers (K5 and K15) used reverse mounted shackles (the shackles go down from the spring instead of up towards the frame. Doing a "shackle flip" in these vehicles results in an instant 4" of lift and has the added benifit of helping with pinion angle. No downside to in this case.

The key to shackles is to get the angle correct and to keep the length down. You don't want 8"+ long shackles as the longer the shackle the more lateral movement you'll see in the rear axle. This results in handling problems and additional leverage on the shackle bracket/frame.

There are a few reasonably priced shackle flip kits out there that look very good. You might want to consider purchasing instead of fabbing your own as they're not all that expensive.

bigrig81
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
sweet, ok, well it's an '85 blazer and i haven't had a chance to look at how the shackles are mounted as it's just getting towed to my shop tomorrow.

when you mean, a shackle flip, do yuou mean just reversing the back and leaving the front or modifying the front too?

lateral movement hey.... so does this mean that if i can build strong enough mounts that move the mounting point for the shackle down and keep the shackle the same length that i can get away with it?

haha thanks for your patience with my ignorance on the subject! i think it's time to do some other online research too.....

oh yeah... any good tips for places to get a shackle flip kit?

HEAVY METAL
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
jeep thrills.. talk too B...yo

604 465 5559

C.W.
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Here is a shackle flip on a ford, same idea. I'll see if i can find a pic of stock but it was basically the same as your blazer should be as long as its a full size.
Before anyone says anything, those bolts were just used to mock it in place.

FU Toolbag
12-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry cw, but that's a lot more work than needed. Go to the wreckers and get yourself a matching set of spring mounts for the front of your rear springs. Make sure they have the same spacing from the frame. Cut them off and use them instead of building your own. It will look a ton better, work out correctly and if a cop ever wants to give you shit he won't even notice the change cause it's still factory looking. As for the front, don't do it. Get yourself some new springs or rearck your old ones. Shackle lifts on fronts are just not right. You can move both front and rear spring mounts, but that's a lot of work compared to getting them rearched.

C.W.
12-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I had the factory ones as well but these were already built and a direct bolt on when i got them. The factory ones would have only required drilling but this was an easy swap and so far works good.
I was just trying to give him somewhat of an idea to compare to the way his are.

bigrig81
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
thanks guys, i have spent a couple hours now reading up on them and have seen both the idea of getting some front mounts and moving them to the back and some fab options..... thanks for the pics CW it is good to have a visual.

wondering if anyone has any pics of using the front mount on the rear and how much lift it gives you?

and has this done on their blazer or 1/2 ton in kelowna? nothing like an in person snoop :D

thanks AGAIN!

C.W.
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Im sure someone in kelowna has done the factory ones. Punkrocker on here is in Kelowna and has some fab'ed ones that are adjustable on an 80's chev.
Using the factory ones i believe gets 4-4.5" of lift, could be wrong though.
Mine got me 5.5" on my truck. [cheers]

m j
12-10-2008, 05:03 AM
chevy lift recipe is rear springs in the front
search on it

bigrig81
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Im sure someone in kelowna has done the factory ones. Punkrocker on here is in Kelowna and has some fab'ed ones that are adjustable on an 80's chev.
Using the factory ones i believe gets 4-4.5" of lift, could be wrong though.
Mine got me 5.5" on my truck. [cheers]
question for you CW....
Did you leave the front mount as is (ie. would i leave the front mount as is on a blazer) and just drop the rear?

and MJ, i couldn't find anything on the web about using rear springs in tghe front. sounds like a good idea, will rear springs out of any '73-87 1/2 work? or do i need 3/4 ton or.....?

chevy lift recipe is rear springs in the front
search on it

thanks for the input and i welcome more! [h] [h] [h] i am doing this truck as a shop project for my students at a high school here in kelowna, hence trying to do things as cheap as possible! :D maybe get a rig done up so we can do a "fieldtrip" to postil next year or something![36]

m j
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
search 52" spring swap
length of rear springs is 52 vs 47/48 for stockers
http://www.coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451962

for the rear springs chevy guys used to use ford 57" long springs with a shackle reversal as the hot setup

bigrig81
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
That CK5 is a wicked article!!! I'm sure i'm going to have some more questions, but that will give some material to chew on fro a few days!

[cheers]

m j
12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I cant recall Rene's screenname on this site but he would be my first call for info on a chevy leaf sprung project.
HeavyMetal has his old K5 that was most likely taken as far as a leaf sprung K5 could go.

my recollection with 52" swaps is they usually add about 4" of lift over what the lift spring is rated for, so a 4" lift rear chev spring would get you 8" lift used in the front

another issue is the stock shackle location for chevy's in the fron is design for a negative arc spring that would move forward away from the frame on compression.
with a positive arc spring it will hit the frame on compression.
to fix that you have to run a long shackle, around 7" between bolt holes.
while we are on shackles, the angle of the shackle makes a huge difference in spring rates.

shackles are not a place to look for gaining lift, make them just long enough to allow the spring to move properly and get any lift you need from the correct springs.
state a desired tire size goal and see what others have done to use that tire

C.W.
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
[quote=bigrig81;1347596]question for you CW....
Did you leave the front mount as is (ie. would i leave the front mount as is on a blazer) and just drop the rear?
Yes i left the front mount alone.

bigrig81
12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
kk good deal. I'll be coming back wit more q's when i'm in the thick of i'm sure!!!!!
Can't wait to get started!!! :party0010:

just have to get 2 head gasket nightmares out of my shop first then roll the blazer in!! :D

Truckstuff
12-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Here is a shackle flip on a Blazer frame using 2wd front rear hangers and 56" springs. [cheers]

importcrusher
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
when u do a shackle reversal doesnt that move the axle ahead if there is any arch to the springs?

SHORTBOXCHEVY
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
yeah it moves it forward a lill bit, but nothing a litle fender trim wont fix, on the other hand it makes for a way better pinion angle!

dirtbikeseller
09-26-2009, 09:24 AM
big rig how did you make out with the shakle reversal? any pics? im posibly going to do that to my desil when i get my front end lifted , got the parts comin monday :) ,