PDA

View Full Version : need help/advice on brake/hub please!!

g-rod
12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
1983 truck, im doing the front brakes, and those cone wedge type washers are just fucked... soild, wont move what do i do?? any help would be awesome!! here are some pictures

Murd0c
12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
just pop them out with a screw driver and wiggle the hub to help losen it

dirka dave
12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Here is the secret...remove washers and nuts....Spray with wd40 or whatever....PUT THE NUTS BACK ON A FEW THREADS....Tap the outer hub above the cone washer...not too had as to dint it.

When you reinstall them put some neverseze onto the cone locks.

[cheers]

hoser
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
tap the hub with a hammer

nbrowser
12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Yep, nothin some love taps from a hammer can't wiggle loose, I run into that a lot at the shop when I"m tearing apart Toyota 4Runner or Pickup hubs to swap the rotors, just enough of a whack right on the outter flange to unsettle the cones usually helps.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
wipe em down. find the split in the cone washer.. tap the split with a centre punch and a small ball peen.. one you get the hang they will alll pop out 1st try... i remember freaking out trying to remove them at 1st[36]

Stetson
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
As everyone has said [cheers] and same as the manual, use a center punch on the end of the stud the cone is on and a quick smack to the center punch. the shock factor pops the cone back towards you, this combined with the tapping of the aluminum hub on the outer circumference above the stud. I will usually use a set of needle nose vise grips to grab the outer edge of the cone thats protruding, and wiggle it back and forth to slid it off.

colonelangus
12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
quoting stetson

As everyone has said [cheers] and same as the manual, use a center punch on the end of the stud the cone is on and a quick smack to the center punch. the shock factor pops the cone back towards you, this combined with the tapping of the aluminum hub on the outer circumference above the stud. I will usually use a set of needle nose vise grips to grab the outer edge of the cone thats protruding, and wiggle it back and forth to slid it off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
x2 about the center punch on stud ,but do not hit the hub body thats just stupid.i have a set of hubs that some knob was beating on to get off ..its totally NOT the way to do it..if they dont pop out at you hit it a bit harder..heres a tip put the nut back on till its even with the end of the stud before wacking it with the hammer.this way you wont screw up the threads..

takes 20 sec per side max..

toyon35s
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
all of the above works ,giver shit and get r done[cheers]

dirka dave
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Are you done yet ?

slacker
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
luv .... show it some luv