PDA

View Full Version : Need help with YJ WOBBLES

girlcrazy_4
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
edit:

Alright, so we're stumped. The Jeep drives, but the faster its driven the more wobble/vibration comes from the driveline. We figured the t-case was blown (the rear diff was just rebuilt by a shop) and the mech told us the t-case was about to go. He drove it for a week untill these vibration started happening so I pulled the t-case out but it seems to "feel fine" I jacked up the rear diff and spun one of the wheels but the other side does not turn. Should it not turn in the oposite direction being an open diff?

I can turn one side and the yoke spins, or spin the other side and the yoke spins... but spinning one side will not spin the other. Idea's?? It drives so that also isnt making sense... just vibrations. Idea's where the vibrations are coming from??

It has a NP231 t-case, stock driveline and big long shackles on 33's

nbrowser
12-03-2008, 07:52 AM
You'd need to find a YJ t-case, the XJ ones are clocked a little differently than a YJ one.

Nutbar
12-03-2008, 09:34 AM
The T cases between XJ and YJ are NOT clocked differently the rear extension housing of the transmission on the XJ is clocked lower than the YJ, but the XJ case has different yokes and the spot for the vacum switch (if the XJ has one, not all did) is different.

an 87 YJ will not be a 4.0 it will be a 4.2 if stock

if you are asking if a 231 will fit it must of had a 207 in it, a 231 will fit but it needs to be an earlier 21 spline from a YJ

xtremeyj
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Sorry Ken, gotta agree with mikey on this one, Im runnin a tranny out of an XJ and it is the tranny thats clocked a few degrees off. Correct me if I am wrong mikey, but didnt the 4 cyl YJ up to '95 come with the 21 spline? Or would that be different because of the ax5 and his would be the peugoet?

Nutbar
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Sorry Ken, gotta agree with mikey on this one, Im runnin a tranny out of an XJ and it is the tranny thats clocked a few degrees off. Correct me if I am wrong mikey, but didnt the 4 cyl YJ up to '95 come with the 21 spline? Or would that be different because of the ax5 and his would be the peugoet?

The AX/5 (the common 4cyl 5spd) and the earlier AW4 autos (90 and prior) used a 21 spline shaft as well . . . BUT . . . you have to watch the stick out length of the input shaft for the Tcase there is 3 different lengths on the 21 spline inputs

xtremeyj
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
The AX/5 (the common 4cyl 5spd) and the earlier AW4 autos (90 and prior) used a 21 spline shaft as well . . . BUT . . . you have to watch the stick out length of the input shaft for the Tcase there is 3 different lengths on the 21 spline inputs

Ya I hate it when it sticks out to far:happy0045:

girlcrazy_4
12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Alright, so I am looking at a 231 t-case from a 4cylinder, standard transmission from a 1989 yj. Is this t-case going to work?? I took a look at my brothers jeep tonite and it is for sure the 207. The slip-yoke is fully extended and atv is everywhere.

and this input shaft length you guys are mentioning... how do I go about making sure im looking at the right one. Here is a picture of the one we want to get.

http://classifieds.castanet.net/data/346/large/IMG_0240.JPG

davey73
12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
mikey what dont you know about jeeps????why buy a manual,just call mikey..

girlcrazy_4
12-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Nevermind, I pulled the t-case for him tonite since he said it was blown. Lucky him its not blown... the rear diff is so I think.

girlcrazy_4
12-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Alright, so we're stumped. The Jeep drives, but the faster its driven the more wobble/vibration comes from the driveline. We figured the t-case was blown (the rear diff was just rebuilt by a shop) and the mech told us the t-case was about to go. He drove it for a week untill these vibration started happening so I pulled the t-case out but it seems to "feel fine" I jacked up the rear diff and spun one of the wheels but the other side does not turn. Should it not turn in the oposite direction being an open diff?

I can turn one side and the yoke spins, or spin the other side and the yoke spins... but spinning one side will not spin the other. Idea's?? It drives so that also isnt making sense... just vibrations. Idea's where the vibrations are coming from??

B
12-07-2008, 03:59 AM

so this thing isn lifted ? all your vibs are angles of the rear d/s to the rear end ... extended shackles will only make it worse ..... to bad your mech up their are morons .... please give spec of the lift ... any spring lift or jud=st shackles ? t case drop or no ? .. all these things if not takin into account are issues that have nothing to do with the tcase or rearend it's self just the anglers between them ... ;)

might of seen this once or twice :party0010:

xtremeyj
12-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Listen to B, as far as your tires spinnin, unless your locked both wont spin when you turn one, or the other may spin the other direction, your vibration sounds like its comin from bad angles in your driveshaft like B said, or your U joints could be toast.:confused0006:

Little Samurai
12-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Could it not be an out of balance drive shaft? If you had some rear end work done and it started after that, maybe the mechanic did not bolt the drive shaft back to the flange the same orientation as it was before. I may be way off here but try separating the drive shaft at the spline and tuning it slightly in one direction then drive it and see if it gets any better. Mark where it is currently and then see if you eventually get rid of the vibration. It will get worse the closer you get to 180 degree off balance point then better as you work your way back to the g spot.

crazylike
12-07-2008, 10:22 AM
best way i know to check if its a driveshaft problem is take it for a drive make a mental note as to when the shacking starts eg 2000rpm 2500 then slow down change the gear and bring it back up to the same rpm and see if it still shacking if not then its something else. check tire balance air pressure wheel lugs then check you drive line angles should be no more then about 5 degrees front or rear.

girlcrazy_4
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
The u-joints are pretty new and felt good before I dropped the d-shaft. It has a shackle lift... say... shackles are about 8inches long or so. Dont quote me on that. It has been lifted this way for about 10years, the vibrations are recent. The rear d'shaft angle is quite substantial, but its still a usable angle. D'shaft spins freely. I'm going to throw a new oil seal into the t-case and put it back in and I'll make up a t-case drop and see if that helps at all.

Another thing I noticed. If I turn the yoke on the t-case in either direction, there is quite a bit of play in it before the gear catches. Nice little clunk. Can this be adjusted??

B
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
The u-joints are pretty new and felt good before I dropped the d-shaft. It has a shackle lift... say... shackles are about 8inches long or so. Dont quote me on that. It has been lifted this way for about 10years, the vibrations are recent. The rear d'shaft angle is quite substantial, but its still a usable angle. D'shaft spins freely. I'm going to throw a new oil seal into the t-case and put it back in and I'll make up a t-case drop and see if that helps at all.

Another thing I noticed. If I turn the yoke on the t-case in either direction, there is quite a bit of play in it before the gear catches. Nice little clunk. Can this be adjusted??

so the drive shaft fell out ? and your still using the same one ? ... and it didn't shake before ? ... :confused0006:

girlcrazy_4
12-08-2008, 12:39 AM
No no. Dropped... as unbolted. Dissasembly.

dirka dave
12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Bent rim ?:dontknow:

poostang
12-08-2008, 11:54 AM
shim your diff

girlcrazy_4
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I think im going to give up on him as he dosn't like any advice given to him. He called his mechanic and the mech told him that I am an idiot for wanting to drop the t-case as it'll screw up his drive-line. Its "built that way for a reason" from highly trained jeep techs... sorta speech. He went to lordco and bought front u-joints and new wheel hubs hoping it'll fix his truck.

I cant stand when someone who is mechanically illiterate asks for help and when given a hand turns down the advice, but wants me to install his new hubs and u-joints as "he knows best"

edit: I forgot to mention before. Before these wobbles started happening... his truck would make this clunking sound (usually in 4x4) when laying on the throttle or suddenly backing off the throttle.

crazylike
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
my truck used to do that then i installed some tranny drop brackets and it gone now but i do need to trim my front drive shaft

jeffh
12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
do yj's have the same tranny/bushing to t-case guard issue that xj's have?

might be a crazy thought, but why not get okanagan dodge to have a quik peak? one of my mechanics at honda was a tech there for a number of years and it suprises me how much he knows about my xj, might cost a bit more $$ but if they can pin it down once and for all it will be cheaper than random parts swapping

jeepxj89
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
is it a stock tcase or does it have an sye installed? double check the u joints? any new dents or dings in the dshaft? with the driveshaft installed, pull up and down on it at the diff end, does the yolk wiggle at all ?

also are you sure this vibration is coming from the driveline? have you checked the front end components? balljoints, tie rod ends etc?

does he have a detroit installed in the rear?