PDA

View Full Version : About my cb ...

Josh_M
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
So i just bought a "Cobra 18 ultra weatherband CB" off my buddy for 5 bucks and am wondering a bit about the thing. Is it a decent cb ?

for channels i have CB, W1, W2, W3, what do each of these mean ?

wat the helll does it mean by weatherband ?

theres a button that says channel 9, i assume it changes it to channel 9 ? what is this and why is it important ?

It has two little scales on them one says "P" and goes from 0 to 4. One says "S" and goes from 0 to +30 ...

figure i should learn to use the thing ... thanks [cheers]

Spooner
12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I think the weatherband means weather stations. Thats what the w1 w2 w3 w4 are. Well thats what I have been told so either someone is shitting me or thats what they are. Channel 9 is an emergency channel. Thats why the switch flips the radio right to 9 so it can be found easy. From what i have heard its the antenna that is important not just the radio.

KINGCRUISER
12-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Channel 4 is all i ever roll with[cheers] Thats if its wokring on that particular day

El Camino
12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
The Govt sends out recorded weather reports on set frequencies around the province. If your travelling through the kootenays or whatever you can flip through the weather band and usually find a report being looped. Its pretty useless really. Channel 9 is like an emergency frequency, if your in trouble switch to chanel 9 and call for help. years ago people used to monitor it. I dont think anyone bothers anymore. So, also useless. The little meters are for signal strength or something.

ShuswapRedneck
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
you can monitor channel 9, you're also allowed to call out on it, but after you have to switch to another channel to have a conversation. Channel 1 is used by truckers west of Kamloops, and channel 11 east of Kamloops. The signal strength is used when you're tuning your antenna, you want them both as close to full strength as possible during transmit and receive. Find someone with a tuning dealy for your antenna to help you set it up to get the best possible range.

radman
12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
i have always been told cobra is good.

Josh_M
12-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the help guys

Jeep Jim
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
If you are going out and picking up an antenna and it fiberglass whip like on big trucks it should be tuned in enough for you to use. If you buy the stainless whip that is held in place by an allen screw then try to leave it about an 1/8th of an inch from bottom. You might have to play with this kind of set up to get the max out of it, just move the whip up or down to get the max RF Gain out of the signal. If you know someone with a Cobra Classic radio they can use the SWR meter to dial in your antenna. Stick with the basic antenna with fiberglass whips they are best if you don't need to use the radio all the time like trucks do. I find CB's are very weak these days for getting out while driving, about the time cell phones came into play they stopped getting range for talking. Most trucks running BC and Alberta use VHF radio's for info and general chatter.

The channels are Vancouver to Kamloops channel 1, also if running north to Prince George on 97 from Cache Creek. East of Kamloops and north up hwy 5 they run ch19. East of Hope it's channel 19 on hwy 3. If going south on Interstate 5 it's ch17.

Josh_M
12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks jim, i was messing with it the other night and was picking up some talking on channel 18 ?

Jeep Jim
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
If others are real close and talking on other channels they will bleed over onto your channel. One thing to remember about CB's if you are using it for emergency purposes make sure you give a good location directions on it because of skipping. Skipping can put the person you are talking to several 100 miles away or in some cases 1000's, your signal will bounce on the atmosphere and local radio's might hear you but not the person you will be talking to.

When I lived north of Calgary I could climb this one hill and shoot the breeze with a base station in Portland OR, it was cool to talk like they were just across the field. Another time just north of Nipigon Ont, I was talking to a driver in Anehiem CA near LA.

It's a cheap means of traveling with someone but distance can be a factor when it comes to getting help. When in doubt get a hold of a big truck and get them to broadcast on VHF for help.

D-Ass
12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
hay josh channel 18 is all the older cb guys that use to be in to that shit hard back in the day if you rally need a hand ask them over the cb there are a couple guys in your neck of the woods that will give you a hand on their

OldEnuff
12-28-2008, 01:32 AM
hay josh channel 18 is all the older cb guys that use to be in to that shit hard back in the day if you rally need a hand ask them over the cb there are a couple guys in your neck of the woods that will give you a hand on their

say what :dontknow:

D-Ass
12-28-2008, 01:47 AM
[sucks]

OldEnuff
12-28-2008, 01:57 AM
[j].........

D-Ass
12-28-2008, 02:01 AM
#yeah[d]

dirka dave
12-28-2008, 10:49 AM
COBRAaaaaaaaaaaaa

-G.I. Joe

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:09 PM
cobras are one of the better ones

4Lo
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I was terribly disapointed in the cb that I had. I got 2.5km range in maple ridge and less that 200 ft in the bush.

I run a vhf in my truck and love it. It is piece of mind for me when I go out fishing by myself in the back country. Basically if the phone don't work aand I hurt myself then I have a better chance of making contact with somebody somewhere.

flatbedfun
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
don't the cb's have a limited range, and need to be in site of eachother or something like that?