PDA

View Full Version : rope sling?

shawn_ruley
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I used a rope sling out of my dads service truck a while back when Taxi and I went out. It worked great for when one of us got stuck, the rope would stretch slightly, then would yank you right out of the hole.

Any idea where I could go and buy one? or would I have to make one myself?:dontknow:

godtool
11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Buy a proper one at Lordco. I bought the 3" x 30' strap. Its about $100, stretches, and rated for 27,000 lbs. DON'T hook it to small chains, clevises, etc that could break off and sling shot you in the skull. Parts have been known to get ripped off and slung right thru tailgates. Some say wear a helmet. I just keep my head down, lol. :party0010:

godtool
11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh yah the one at Lordco has yellow ends, and is an actual "sling shot strap". I've used mine a few times where a winch would not. Last winter on an icy rd, I yanked a 5 ton moving truck out of a ditch with a 563 bobcat. The bobcat had no real traction but it wound up the strap and the 5 ton popped out.

Taxidermy
11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
I used a rope sling out of my dads service truck a while back when Taxi and I went out. It worked great for when one of us got stuck, the rope would stretch slightly, then would yank you right out of the hole.

Any idea where I could go and buy one? or would I have to make one myself?:dontknow:

Try Princess Auto. Have some before.

shawn_ruley
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
$100? yikes:eek: I think Ill just grab a strap from the princess for now

godtool
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
One of my sayings are "go big or go home". Another is "bigger is better". Check where they are made before buying. The strap I bought I believe was an Erikson. Somethings I just don't buy at Princess Auto... I did buy a 6' tree saver strap there and its built really well... its got lots of use and is in excellent shape. After using any strap try to flush out the mud after yor trip and keep it dry. Trying to keep them immaculately clean, I gave up:party0010:

That strap I bought you may get for $80 with a jobber account. I like to buy stuff that I can undoubtedly rely on....you may have less $$ for wobbly pops or the hydro bill but good recovery gear for 4x4ing should be #1. When I'm not out in my Jimmy 4x4in' I put my sling shot strap under the back seat of my Silverado to help people out of the ditch. Plus it looks pro when you pull it out to help someone:cool:

godtool
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I used my sling shot strap to noose this 25' half pipe. I pulled it out of the garage, out the driveway, down the rd, and into the field. It was winter and ice everywhere so it was easy to pull. My kid used the halp pipe in the garage way less than I needed the garage space, so into the field it went#yeah. Its covered now with a hut made from bug kill logs and a tarp... heated too with a 220 baseboard heater. maybe he will use it but I know I use my garage way way more;)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/half_pipe.jpg

Metal Mulisha
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Buy a proper one at Lordco. I bought the 3" x 30' strap. Its about $100, stretches, and rated for 27,000 lbs. DON'T hook it to small chains, clevises, etc that could break off and sling shot you in the skull. Parts have been known to get ripped off and slung right thru tailgates. Some say wear a helmet. I just keep my head down, lol. :party0010:

Good Points.

shawn_ruley
12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Went to princess today and after a bit of shopping, I decided to wait a couple weeks and go for a proper sling instead:)

godtool
12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Good idea man! Like my Dad says these days.... he wishes when he was young he had saved up to buy good tools rather struggling to use several "used" or "cheap" ones. A good strap may save your life. Also once you have it you will discover more ways to make use of it than just for 4x4ing. The 4x4 Guru's mention to attach the strap to your frame rather a ball hitch. If you thread the strap through your stuck trucks frame make sure it won't get cut. Also bringing both loops back to the "pulling truck" doubles the capacity of the strap (any strap), but this decreases the sling shots stretch. Sometimes its difficult to find a place on a stock truck and thats why I have really heavy duty pipe bumpers. Some people have 3/4" HD clevises on a flange welded to their bumper. You can attach the strap by running the strap through itself (you will get it apart, so far;) ) and then put the other loop around your "pipe" bumper or on a 2" ball receiver. The 4x4 Guru's say not even to put the loop on the receiver ball. I do sometimes but I make certain the bumper\receiver is attached well to the frame and the receiver pin is 5/8" minimum and its a good "ball". If you search "sling shot strap" on google I believe you find a list of rules\pointers to using one safely. If you use a clevis go really big.....Enough said!:o

mus-Tard
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
$100 is fuck all compaird to the cost of your truck. it is cheep insurance. by the way princess auto has "no sale is final untill your satisfide" well me and my brother took in our 55 000 lbs-er that was fucked up from missuse. and we said (by the way it is draging through the store and covered with stave) "my truck doesn't waigh 55 000lbs. this should not look like this." well they looked and scratched there heads and said go grab another one.

street legal quad
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
princess auto is great for replacing broken stuff, even if it is your fault.

godtool
12-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I'll 2nd that on last two replies[36]

I bought a torque wrench there for cheap, cheap, cheap... 150 lb'er... $20?
I think I broke it right away.... it was just too cheap, cheap, cheap... got my $$ back and bought a mastercraft one from canadian tire for 5 times as much and is lasting 5 times longer so far:D Mastecraft lifetime guarantee too!

shawn_ruley
12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
ok well, looked around town today for damn near two hours and came up empty handed. Went to Lordco and they had no idea what I was talking about, went to princess, crappy tire, napa, couple truck accessories shops, cookson motors, etc. and only about half the people I talked to even knew what I was talking about.

Going to look at Corix and this other place tomorrow. Dad said thats where the company he works for gets them from (should have just asked him to begin with)[27]

ray
12-11-2008, 11:02 PM
lordco ones work great but nothing beats

a proper white nylon 6 inch wide strap with loop ends those fuckers stretch like no tommarow and they yank yeh right out but i tell yeh when they snap they snap!

HEAVY METAL
12-12-2008, 07:24 AM
u guys r on glue if ya think a strap stretches.....

Nutbar
12-12-2008, 07:39 AM
u guys r on glue if ya think a strap stretches.....

A proper "Recovery" strap will stretch they are made to stretch, the stretching reduces the impact on both the recovery and the recovered vehicles as well as the stretching will increase your pull power, once you hit the maximum stretch of the strap it will want to recoil and add some extra pull.

Loading/Rigging straps are not elastic and therefore are not meant to be used as a tow/recovery strap.

HEAVY METAL
12-12-2008, 07:42 AM
thast why i use my 6" thick braided rope....yo

match that with a pintle hook and i can pull anyhting out....yo

shawn_ruley
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
went around again today and still could find absolutely nothing:(

is there some special place that I would have to get one from or something? Im starting to get a bit frustrated

godtool
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I was at Lordco in Chilliwack and they had one... 3" x 30' rated at 27,000 pounds. Steve quoted me approximately $80 with my account. If he doesn't remember who I am tell him I just bought an Ingersol-rand impact gun on Sunday, December 14th. It is a white nylon slingshot strap with yellow ends. Just go to your local Lordco and have them contact the Chilliwack Lordco.:) They also have the 2" x 20 footer on special for about I think $25. That's a good-sized strap for small vehicles but I would go big then there's no worries.

vajayjay
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I just got a 4" 32000lb from lordco Maple Ridge two weeks ago for $100 I think it was the last 4" but I saw 3 and 4" there

B
12-16-2008, 06:26 PM
ok well, looked around town today for damn near two hours and came up empty handed. Went to Lordco and they had no idea what I was talking about, went to princess, crappy tire, napa, couple truck accessories shops, cookson motors, etc. and only about half the people I talked to even knew what I was talking about.

Going to look at Corix and this other place tomorrow. Dad said thats where the company he works for gets them from (should have just asked him to begin with)[27]

go back to lordco

made by erickson 4" x 30' -35000 lb pn 59801

give that info to the kid behind the counter should set ya up mang [cheers]

vajayjay
12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
go back to lordco

made by erickson 4" x 30' -35000 lb pn 59801

give that info to the kid behind the counter should set ya up mang [cheers]
Yeah thats the one I got[cheers]

crimsen
12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
princess auto does carry them and i belive you can get the 50 000 or so lbs one for 80 dollars. its like 6" wide and 30 feet long IIRC