PDA

View Full Version : weird grinding noise

crazylike
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
i have a dana 60 front that heats up and makes a grinding noise when the hubs are engaged gets worse when its put into 4 wheel drive i have changed the spindles rotors bearings everything is new except for the pumpkin bearings and the stub shafts. it seems to heat up the rotors on the passenger side. any ideas or suggestions.

spitty
11-28-2008, 09:47 PM
caliper maybe? does it pull when you break?

FU Toolbag
11-28-2008, 09:53 PM
caliper maybe? does it pull when you break?

That's wouldn't cause it to only happen when hubs are engaged. Have you copletely cleaned out the whole hub when you changed bearings? Is it one side or both? Are you sure your locking hubs are in correctly?

mus-Tard
11-28-2008, 11:27 PM
bearings at the end of the axle housing.

crazylike
11-29-2008, 12:55 AM
only old parts on the axel are the axel shafts and the stuff in side the diff. caliper has been changed 3 times brake booster and master are also new.
it seems to be only on the passenger side and only when hubs are engaged i am sure that the hubs are locking in correctly there also new. i had the rotors and the spindles done by a shop.
i'm guessing it has to be a bad bearing inside the diff or maybe a warped stub shaft?

crazylike
12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
well i'm back again with the same issue it is still making the grinding noise when i lock the hubs. i thought i had it when i changed the caliper wedge but that only seemed to work for the first 15 minute drive but now the truck is pulling to the right again and the brake rotor heats up and the brakes drag as stated before everything except the stub shafts and the pumpkin insides are new. not rebuilt new

Deathtrap
12-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Your diff isnt going to cause your one side to heat up. Just strip the one side down to a bare spindle and go through it, What year is your truck as well? Ever check your spindle needle bearings?

crazylike
12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
the truck is a 89 dodge w150 but i changed the axels to a set of d60's out of a 81 dodge w250 i changed everything from the spindle to the caliper absolutely everything every bearing only thing i didn't do is the steel piece that bolts to the spindle and holds the caliper and the piece of steel that the hub bolts to and the stub shaft everything else is new.
i had the spindles and the rotors installed at a shop as i do not have a press. i even went as far as to buy a new multi tab locknut and new wheel bearing nuts.

gnu_42
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
wheel bearing nuts are expensive eh

m j
12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
the truck is pulling to the right again and the brake rotor heats up and the brakes drag as stated before everything except the stub shafts and the pumpkin insides are new. not rebuilt new

the brake brackets need to be cleaned, deburred, and coated with sil-glide at all moving points
you have to get the brake issues out of the way before you can diagnose the grinding sound in 4wdr

are you sure the inner spindle bearing was replaced? wheel bearings everyone does but the lil inner spindle bearing the front axleshaft rides on isnt commonly looked at

dirka dave
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Incorrect bearing pre-load.

C.W.
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
This sounds almost identical to what im chasing in my ttb front in my 91 f-150. :confused0006:

crazylike
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
the grinding noise is from the brake caliper draging on the pad on the rotor but it only seems to happen when the hubs are engaged i took a wire wheel to the brake bracket so it was all shiny looking i also have put anti sieze and anti squeel on all moving parts and sliders the shop that it was at did the same. i'm thinking it has something to do with the spring steel piece which goes on the slider to keep the caliper from moving around. i had new one put in at the shop and it was fine for about 15 minutes then it started again. its a king pin dana 60 with bendix brake system.

nbrowser
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Stupid question....as most are it seems...have you ever thought about changing the brake hose on that side ? or both sides for that matter ? Just an idea....

crazylike
12-16-2008, 01:41 AM
there new also all lines hoses right from the master down front and back

ajames
04-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Oh Oh:party0010:

crazylike
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
fixed it was the master cylinder not bled properly