PDA

View Full Version : making a turbo manifold

m j
11-23-2008, 08:15 PM
patford I will be bugging you for tuning help :)

Troy
11-23-2008, 08:51 PM
sched 40 pipe tees?

cute wittle allen head screws:)

m j
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
2" sh40
would have been nice to find 2 x 1.5 but no one had them so I had to make lil spacer rings to adapt

the allens just fill the hole, they are 7/16 so not too small, same size as factory spring bucket bolts- three 7/16 one 9/16
I like allen bolts, you will find them all over this project in non critical spots.

ENERGY
11-24-2008, 12:25 AM
You are going to get a lot of exhaust turbulence with your design. If you swept each runner towards the turbo you would get a higher velocity sooner so less lag.

m j
11-24-2008, 04:43 AM
if you have something that can bend radius as tight as would be required to make a nice header in that space I would like to borrow it :)

epic3
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
KMS sells all different radius bends and tubing thickness from 1 inch up
and when youre done you should heat relieve it so it wont crack

dirka dave
11-24-2008, 01:31 PM
You are going to get a lot of exhaust turbulence with your design. If you swept each runner towards the turbo you would get a higher velocity sooner so less lag.

yep, but it should still work all the same.....

78bronco
11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
looks sweet mj what is this going on??

m j
11-24-2008, 05:24 PM
yep, but it should still work all the same.....

:)
too much work to bother discussing his point and how little difference it will really make.
exhaust is a rather turbulent environment what with the valves popping open to let explosions vent into the manifold at uneven times
so you get pressure waves and not 'flow'
ideal would be a 360 header with tuned lengths blah blah...
but with 400" I doubt lag is going to be an issue from the log manifold
its got a .96ar t70

hiya 78bronco, Tom relayed your "Hello" :)
its going in the bronco frame, still looking for a pickup cab for it.
its 4 linked, one tonned, coilover'd, hydro steer, etc
looks like a pile of expensive junk
those Aussies I got of you are at a rebuilders but havent been looked at since last Feb when I dropped them off.
prolley just get another set already built from the US as this guy will take years, he built the 383 in Tom's FJ

Troy
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
if u plan on getting another pair of heads , id be interested in the ones that need rebuilding...

ENERGY
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
It actually would make a noticeable difference and your right about pulse vs flow which in turn means your manifold is very inefficient at retaining pulse energy but hey it on your own vehicle so who cares.

Reeseman
11-24-2008, 10:53 PM
nice job when will it be on the road.

m j
11-24-2008, 11:00 PM
well parts are hard to get, been waiting on some threaded link adapters from Poly since Oct 27, and those are off the shelf items :)
so I am guessing somewhere around 'never', or maybe a lil after that

Josh_M
11-24-2008, 11:22 PM
More specs on the motor mj?

m j
11-25-2008, 06:32 PM
More specs on the motor mj?

dont really have specs yet, just ideas.
400 ford, stock crank and rods, Aussie 302C heads, hoping to find 9:1 forged pistons for it
cam will be really short, aimed at below 5000rpm power
probably keep the Holley street dom, will be looking to see if there are any new OHG kits available
might try the NOS plate for fun, that will be real cold spraying n2o and liquid propane under the mixer :)
I got the jetting specs from a major n2o company for that

the turbo I bought when I was still playing with a chevy, I sized it for 355inches so it is not close to being right (but I didnt run the math at 400inches)
it is here so I am stuffing it on. basically because I had a weekend in the shop with no parts.
master power T70, has a T3 housing on it but new housing is under $150
Tial 44mm wastegate, Tial blowoff. those 2 items are pretty bling and cost more then the turbo

HEAVY METAL
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
fukin eh bud!

Josh_M
11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
dont really have specs yet, just ideas.
400 ford, stock crank and rods, Aussie 302C heads, hoping to find 9:1 forged pistons for it
cam will be really short, aimed at below 5000rpm power
probably keep the Holley street dom, will be looking to see if there are any new OHG kits available
might try the NOS plate for fun, that will be real cold spraying n2o and liquid propane under the mixer :)
I got the jetting specs from a major n2o company for that

the turbo I bought when I was still playing with a chevy, I sized it for 355inches so it is not close to being right (but I didnt run the math at 400inches)
it is here so I am stuffing it on. basically because I had a weekend in the shop with no parts.
master power T70, has a T3 housing on it but new housing is under $150
Tial 44mm wastegate, Tial blowoff. those 2 items are pretty bling and cost more then the turbo

Any ideas on the numbers your gonna be makin ? Ever think of meth injection ?

m j
11-25-2008, 08:49 PM
no clue what it will make for power, or what the weakest link will be

I am not a fan of spraying water and alcohol
I have a 100mm thick intercooler 24" x 12" core 3" inlet/outlet

KINGCRUISER
11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Everything bombs around crazy on meth[36] Sweet build man keep up posted.:cool:

78bronco
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
kool and if you zero deck the block with stock pistons you should yeild around 9.00 compression and if you are still having a hard time finding pistons you can get your 400m rods bushed to use clevand pistons

patford
11-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Looks great keep building ! With your headers keep it simple
unless you got to win races . Been just looken at mine for better
part of year first set up burns alot leads . Got a you build kit
for B&G customs have to dive in to it again , cause 15 psi
feels good . My T-66 was size for a 300 , put it on my 351
, motor built to run out at 5000 rpm , hits rev limiter at 6000
no problem if I dont shift fast enough , I think that master power
well put smiles on your face .

D-Ass
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM
2 things looks good but first question is did you clean the coating off and v notch the ends of the pipe

and you do know the exhaust is pointing back at the engin and with a 3" exhaust that will be a little hard to pass around the motor:confused0006:

if you would like some set up help I can give you a hand as I use to do turbo builds and installs [cheers]

m j
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
its a little closer to being in position
spark plugs leads are going to be in danger

78bronco
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
are you gonna put the bronco tub back on the frame???

m j
12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
going to use a reg cab not a bronco tub

78bronco
12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
that will be sweet !!!

m j
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
2 things looks good but first question is did you clean the coating off and v notch the ends of the pipe

and you do know the exhaust is pointing back at the engin and with a 3" exhaust that will be a little hard to pass around the motor:confused0006:

if you would like some set up help I can give you a hand as I use to do turbo builds and installs [cheers]
if you know a good place to get V band clamps and flanges I would appreciate that info.

street legal quad
12-03-2008, 07:15 PM
hey bcredxj you did turbo set ups? any carb set up with turbos? sorry for jacking thread I will start a new one if you reply!

m j
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
lost a post here, so this is attempt #2. might end up with duplicate attachments as I am blocked from seeing my attachments list on here ??

3" fits with lots of room in the stock location.

epic3
12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
cool are you gonna be runnin twin turbo? and only showin one side

m j
12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
single, I aint rich :)
even this cheap turbo was $600

78bronco
12-28-2008, 04:30 PM
most truck places carry the V-Band clamps and mac industrel exhaust has them to and worst case I think mopac can get them

epic3
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
single, I aint rich :)
even this cheap turbo was $600

Your only usin one side of the engine to spin it then?

m j
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
no, both sides. one side would be stoopid

m j
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
I got the 3" turbo sized one from Traction after I found a Nelson Muffler online catalogue and number to match the housing, kinda the flange didnt fit so I had to order a 3" flange from http://store.racing-solutions.org/ where I also ordered the 2.25 Vband assemblys for the crossover pipe.
while I was wasting $$ I ordered some stuff from SSAutochrome as well just to compare their shipping and quality. as usual the guys that have the worst reputation in the forums once again ships fastest and has the best customer service.
this is the 3rd or 4th time I have ordered from them but I havent gone to Sumas to pick up the order as I will wait til the rest of them arrive.

epic3
12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
no, both sides. one side would be stoopid

Thats what i was thinkin guess I should look harder at the pics

m j
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
pics are horrid I know. it is a work in progress that wont get much visible progress without way more parts.

the turbo is sitting on a T, the bottom side has a 45° fitting aimed back towards the bellhousing and will get a 2.25" Vband
the starter is on that side of the motor so the crossover has to come between the rear sump and bellhousing then under the stater and engine mount to the turbo.
the ID of the factory manifold flange is only 2" so running a 2.25" crossover isnt going to be the bottle neck of the system.

I got the wastegate installed.
there isnt much more I can do on the hot side, some grinding inside the tubes to smooth it out and glue the V band flange when it shows up.
so until I get a cab the turbo progress is on hold as the cold side stuff is all in mounting the IC to the rad support and plumbing it.
well I guess I can run some oil feed and drain lines.
the drain line is another thing I didnt account for very well as it has to run right beside the hottest point of the system

Troy
12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
i have a supercab for sale? that'd be cool with a cage behind it

m j
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
had one
didnt like it
want a short low pickup looking thing

Troy
12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
just throwin it out there

so what does it take to run a turbo?
high compression? forged crank and rods what about pistons and cylinder heads?

m j
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
depends on your goals. mine are very modest. I wanna play with a turbo.

low compression is better, same as a blower
pistons that can take abuse are a huge plus, so forged with the rings down from the crown are good
I like small CC combustion chamber heads with a dished piston to get the compression ratio.
get the pressure acting on a larger surface area of the piston kinda thinking similar to hydraulics
I am kinda chicken of overboosting so I bought the best stuff to control the turbo in regards to wastegate and blowoff valves
A good turbo for a V8 is gonna run $1400usd, a cheaper one like this is $600
the Tial wastegate and blowoff were $600
then you just play with pipes til the exhaust can flow thorugh the turbine and the air from the compressor makes it to the carb

every motor has a weak point but I dont think the 400 has a weak crank, and the heads are available to make power, considering even the worst 335 series heads have 2.04" intakes and canted valves.
my goals for this thing are very low, if it makes 500hp I would be very happy.

the chevy I am collecting parts for is a lot higher on the food chain.
eagle forged balanced rotating assemby 3.75 stroke, JE 30cc dished pistons
still need a block and heads for it and will probably cheap out and use the new SHP dart.

in the meantime I wanna practice hand making the bits to mount a turbo and see how bad I fail
if this junk doesnt fail to fast then I will do the next exhaust manifold with stainless using what I learned from this mess.
if it fails bad then I will go again in steel until i learn something :)

Troy
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
cool, so your not really doing a whole lot to the internals on this motor then

just experimenting

never thought about dished pistons and gaining the surface area either

patford
12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Well how much boost is it going to see ? head gaskets is the weak link .
500 hp no problem with that turbo and motor , but poor tune can kill
things fast at high boost . Guess when it will be up and running ?

m j
12-30-2008, 12:05 AM
internal mods will probably be custom pistons and Aussie heads, maybe a hydraulic roller cam.
no fancy crank or anything like that. you cant get a rod long enough to replace the stockers so I wont have to even think about that :)
I might spend the $$ on bushing the lifter bores to fix the oiling issues these motors are famous for but with the low rpm I plan maybe not.
these motors like to pump all the oil into the head and drain the pan, so to fix that they bush the lifter bores leaving a .030 hole (that size is from memory so check it before you use it please) for oiling the top end.

Pat I am gonna creep up on the boost till it breaks, but dont plan for more then 12.

it gonna be awhile before this thing lives.
still need a cab and 2 coil overs before I can get serious on finishing the chassis.
links are all in but not finish welded so there is a couple of weekends cleaning stuff up for welding and a few more just gluing stuff that is tacked in now.

patford
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
For my T-66 it states at 10 psi it pushes enough air for 500 hp .
Ya Ya I know it depends on what else the motor has . Had to
put that in there cause people would be all over me for that
first statment, but its a ball park .

78bronco
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
for anything over 10PSI of boost u will need an intercooler and I recomend studding the heads mj and yuo wanna run more exahust events on the cam then the intake as well

Always broke
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey i know almost nothing about turbo's but could you get the manifolds and cross over pipe "REDI COATED" to keep in all the extra heat in and clean up the look ?? i know that the engine compartment temp come way down when you do headers (Just did mine) will that work in this application??

m j
12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
I have 2 intercoolers to choose from.
a 100mm thick or a 75mm thick, they are both about 30"x12" core size (cant recall actually numbers but biggest cheapo ones I could find)

on coatings, yes it is very common to ceramic coat the hot side

78bronco
12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
and you can coat the turbo exhaut housing and pickup effencancy as well

epic3
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
a good rule of thumb for estimating final power on a turbo charged motor is every pound of boost will roughly produce 10 percent gain in power.

importcrusher
01-10-2009, 12:12 AM
are u puting on 2 turrbos?

m j
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
one 70mm turbo
2" crossover pipe from left side factory manifold meet a T right at the turbo