PDA

View Full Version : '89 YJ and XJ Steering boxes interchangeable?

bigrig81
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
if i've got a blown steering box on a yj and am going to do an SOA and use a XJ pitman arm, will the box work too? any help would be awesome! i seek knowledge from those with superior heep experience [h]

;)

Pudge
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
pretty sure YJ boxes are 4 bolt, and XJ's are 3 bolt bolt

nbrowser
11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I can say without a doubt, interchange is not possible. Sorry for the bad news.

bigrig81
11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
It's all good, i was just thinking about it and thought i would throw it out there instead of going into wrecker to check :D thanks!

Nutbar
11-23-2008, 11:14 AM
The YJ and XJ boxes are nearly identical, just as Pudge said the XJ has 3 mounting bolts and the YJ has 4 and they will bolt in place of each other but I would not suggest the XJ box on a YJ because the YJ with leaf springs puts a lot more stress on the box and mounting point than it does on the XJ with the links and a track bar which is why the YJ has 4 mount tabs not 3.

unless the XJ box already has an aftermarket drop pitman arm on it, the XJ and the YJ use the same pitman arm stock so there is no advantage in trying to swap a stock XJ arm for a stock YJ arm. The stock pitman arm that has more drop than the YJ arm is the ZJ Grand Cherokee

If you are doing a SOA (which I really DO NOT advise to do) you are going to need more than a drop pitman arm to correct ALL of the steering problems you WILL encounter

bigrig81
11-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Interesting, in all the resaearch i've done, you're the first person to tell me that the SOA are bad. :confused0006: not that i'm saying your wrong, i'm just curious as to why you would say that. hahaha then again, i have read that the XJ pitmans had more drop! so yeah, my sources could be bad. and i am very aware of the other steering problems and driveline changes that will need to be done. would love some input! thanks!:D

[cheers]

Pudge
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
mr bigrig my friend, Nutbar is the Jeep Guru in these parts....if he says it, it is so

cheers

bigrig81
11-24-2008, 12:00 AM
hahahah no doubts about that! still curious tho! :D

Pudge
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
he works @ Jeap Thrills, all the boys there are wicked dudes 604-465-5559
one stop shopping

Nutbar
11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't like springovers in the little jeeps because they cause just as many problems as advantages when doing one. I will not do a SOA on the CJs or YJs at my shop. To do a SOA properly it will usually cost you as much or more than buying a good quality lift kit, and don't usually work as well as a well executed lift kit.

First things first most guys want to do a SOA with the stock springs, the stock springs were not designed to work SOA so now when you flex you invert arch your springs which they were not meant to do so the springs bag out WAY faster than stock, and the springs are to soft for mounting like that so you get an overly squishy loose ride.

Now for the steering, you can't get, nor would you want, a pitman arm with enough drop to relocate your drag link enough to stop spring bind when right turning so guys will do an S bent drag link which is weak, dangerous, and causes bump steer which is also dangerous. To properly correct your steering now you need a high steer setup which quickly becomes very pricy especially if you are trying to do this on your stock D30 frt dif.

Axle wrap is also another major thing you need to deal with when doing a SOA. SOA are way worse for axle wrap than SUA just because of the physics of the load on the axle and spring when SUA the weight of the truck hangs from the axle on the U bolts like a pendulum(sp) and naturally wants to keep the axle directly above the load, when SOA the wieght of the truck sits on top of the axle and makes the axle want to roll out from underneath the wieght but it is bolted to the spring so the spring flexes and rolls over. When doing a SOA anti wrap bars (ladder bars) of some sort are a necessity especially on the rear or you will constantly break springs and driveshafts.

Those are just a couple of the major issues encountered when attempting a SOA there are also various other minor problems that can be encountered when doing this, all of which is why I will not do SOA on the jeeps at my shop there are to many headaches and too much cost to do one properly.

xtremeyj
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
All bow to the infinite wisdom of the jeep gods, Mikey knows his shit man, ill attest to that. I went spring over in the rear, first twisted a driveshaft off cause of axle wrap, got a ladder bar installed and then my first run out, saturday, I broke my weak ass leaf springs. My four link rear is gettin done ahead of schedule now cause I aint buyin more springs.

bigrig81
11-24-2008, 08:14 PM
haha kk sounds good :) i knew about all those things having read about them in different articles and from talking to certain people, but nutbar, you're just so dang persuasive! hahahaha and the fact that you build heeps for a living probably plays a role in it. [h] honestly the only reason i was going to go with the yj and soa was because it was a cheap way to get a capable rig when money is tight.... hmmmmm back to the drawing board! well hey, while i am on the topic :D how much are 4" and 6" lifts for an '89 yj through you guys at Jeep Thrills?

thanks for the help!

cheers

cannonfodder
11-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Anyone that thinks they know it all doesn't know much!! It's a big ever changing world.