PDA

View Full Version : budget minded XJ build?

jeffh
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/jeff_haut/DSC00646.jpg

so here is my new toy, and ive got some serious newb questions about it
92 cherokee, 4.0 six with the autotragic transmission in her, very low rust factor and i bought it for stoopid cheap off a friend so all in all a great deal for a good winter car

then i get conned into go drive around some trails in her with some buddies and apparently, that is a tonne of fun. the stupid thing seems like it wants to go anywhere wich is pretty rad

so now im thinking this might be morethan winter transporation to me,
i want to lift her up maybe 2.5 3 inches, but at the same time i need to replace the rear leafs (they are just sagged to hell) and replace all 4 shocks (ride quality is brutal, apparently being in the back seat when we're out bagging is a death sentence)

so keeping in mind i only paid $250 for it, what do i do to lift her up and make her better on the trails? so far ive checked out
bds < doesnt include shocks from what ive seen?
rubicon express < $$$$ and i cant find a local distributor
rough country < no one has anything nice to say about these, but its the most affordable
pro-comp < seems like the best option, but if you get it with new rear leafs its $$$

what options am i missing? im not sold on shackles and coil spacers, as that doesnt solve my leaf issue, and it seems more like a cosmetic thing, and not a performance thing to me

pS the minivan tires in the picture are gone, it came with some snow tires with alot of tread on them, so they are on the heep now, i dont really wanna get into wheels/tires until spring unless i find some good used

Reeseman
11-19-2008, 04:30 PM
how much lift do you want?

redman
11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
how much lift do you want?

put the joint down and read the post its right there :dontknow:

jeffh
11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
truth, 2.5 or 3 inches, nothing crazy, but enough to fit some 31x10's

kamloopsyota
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
check naxja....im not a jeep guy but i know there is a budget lift using some spacers and different coils front and like f-150 springs(mix-matched) for the rear.....super cheap and gives ya roughly 2.5"......my buddy did it to his and it was decent for only spending like 100 bucks haha

Moondog
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Whereabouts are u? Both Jeepthrills and North Shore Offroad are Rubicon Express dealers PM B (jeepthrills) or CJMike (North Shore Offroad) for pricing options for Rubican Expess[cheers]

jeffh
11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
kelowna for me, but im not scared of shipping parts via vendors, i do it all day long with work

Justin_B
11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
check out www.rock-road.com they got tones of stuff for jeeps. pretty cheap to. mabey look and getting some coil spacers and some shackles? should do u for about 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear, cut the fenders a little and slap on some 31's, good to go:)

jeffh
11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
k here is another one, anyone weld their rear dif's? will the stock one explode real quik if i do?

offroadordrift
11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
k here is another one, anyone weld their rear dif's? will the stock one explode real quik if i do?
i was thinking about that option as well... info is always nice

Roc
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
hi guy I goyt a 88 and a cheap lift with re arced leafs and a extra leaf but in I think I paid 200 for the work also have a 3" lift on 30s

here are some pic goodluck on the lift

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/96throc/Picture005.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/96throc/Picture015.jpg
Lifted
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/96throc/leftonjeep009.jpg

Justin_B
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Had mine welded untill the rear housing twisted and fucked up my leaf on my old cherokee. Make sure u bring lots of spare axle shafts if you do. If budget and quick is on your mind then its a good way to go, if reliability is what u want, then save up and swap in another axle with a proper locker. Either way when i had it done, it was pretty mint untill the twisting happend[cheers]

jeffh
11-22-2008, 10:34 AM
any more experiences? might be a sunday project...

Justin_B
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
any more experiences? might be a sunday project...

Nope had lots of fun in my cherokee when i had it. It was also just a budget 4wheeler. becareful you dont trim to much of ur rear fenders though, dont really wanna pop that seam thats in there. the welding of the rear end will take the longest. good luck on it[cheers]

jeffh
11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
dont need to trim anything yet, i wont be getting tires untill spring. thanks for the halp

bigrig81
11-23-2008, 12:54 AM
this might be not what you're asking, but don't weld the thing if you're going to be driving it on the pavement... but that seems kinda obvious, so maybe that's not what you're thinking.:confused0006: if you drive on the pavement you'll break crap and/or wear out tires wayyyy to quick... sounds like you got a good start for a budget truck tho!!! [cheers]

jeffh
11-23-2008, 11:22 PM
i do plan to daily drive her, but my previous daily drive was a Honda with 700lb springs rice exhaust jack rabbit clutch and no rear seats, any thing i need to worry aboot other than the comfort thing? im used to a shitty ride...

i figured it wont be nice to be in, but the breaking thing isnt in the budget for sure...

Trailjunkie
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
dude gary's auto wrecking in maple ridge. they sell used lifts complete cheap.

nightcrawler
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
i get all my rubicon shit from truckworks

JACKNIFE
11-26-2008, 02:51 PM
dude gary's auto wrecking in maple ridge. they sell used lifts complete cheap.

keep in mind they dont always have them and often there only marginally cheaper than brand new

bakelite
11-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I have a welded rear diff in my FJ40 with a 327...I actually prefer it on the road, it is more predictable than the Detroit I have in my Jeep. :dontknow:

jeffh
11-27-2008, 07:51 PM
i think im gonna do it, and then find some pick and pull axles just in case.

blacksn95
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
If you want a budget lift go to NSOR and ask for the 4.5 inch zone kit for under $700 comes complete with shocks.. It does the job for the budget minded.. They have a site Zoneoffroad.ca for more details

jeffh
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
doesnty look like they offer it with new rear springs... ill haf to call in the AM

youngun
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
my work can re arch your springs aswell as get you lift kits or components or add a leaf to your stock pack.

we are in kelowna. Alsek Spring & Fab we are off of sexsmith road. 250-765-6592....

xtremeyj
12-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Would Jeep build and budget minded not be an oxymoron? I dont believe the two phrases can be said in the same sentence.

jeffh
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
my work can re arch your springs aswell as get you lift kits or components or add a leaf to your stock pack.

we are in kelowna. Alsek Spring & Fab we are off of sexsmith road. 250-765-6592....

im jeff from honda, not sure if it was you i talked too, but i spoke with someone at alsec allready, they are too rough re-arche. 330 000 rough kms on them. thanks for the offer tho

i broke some stuff wheeling the other night, so i gotta dial that back to safe before the lift goes in :(

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/jeff_haut/n527115536_4896128_4381.jpg

Roc
12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Would Jeep build and budget minded not be an oxymoron? I dont believe the two phrases can be said in the same sentence.

now that's funny lol I know what you mean .

youngun
12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
yea, if you talked to the young kid with the big black 4runner then that was probably me.

B
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
once again u get what u pay for ...

im not trying to sell a Rubicon kit to peeps because ill make more money on it i sell em because they flat out work well take abuse and last ...

cause we see it all ... wanna know how many rough country kits i remove to upgrade them after all the component's fall the fuck apart probably one to 2 a month just like only using a add a leaf it might laST MAYBE 6 MONTH'S THEN IT'S SHIT and your riding STOCK SPRINGS AGAIN over and over or save for a month more and put something in that will ride better work better and u won't have t0 mess with ... and the re stuff measures taller than avertized and settles to the height they list not starts at the listed height and then settles to an inch or an 1.5 lower ....

just a heads up for the rest of ya reading this ...

good luck jeff

just my 2c .... when i find a better one we will use that but for now nobody has spent the time to put together a better kit for the jeep's yet ...

xtremeyj
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM

im not trying to sell a Rubicon kit to peeps because ill make more money on it i sell em because they flat out work well take abuse and last ...

cause we see it all ... wanna know how many rough country kits i remove to upgrade them after all the component's fall the fuck apart probably one to 2 a month just like only using a add a leaf it might laST MAYBE 6 MONTH'S THEN IT'S SHIT and your riding STOCK SPRINGS AGAIN over and over or save for a month more and put something in that will ride better work better and u won't have t0 mess with ... and the re stuff measures taller than avertized and settles to the height they list not starts at the listed height and then settles to an inch or an 1.5 lower ....

good luck jeff

just my 2c .... when i find a better one we will use that but for now nobody has spent the time to put together a better kit for the jeep's yet ...

The man knows what hes talkin about, I ran rough country and hated it, I just said fuck it and went overboard, three-link front with coilovers and now doin triangulated four link rear.

nbrowser
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
The man knows what hes talkin about, I ran rough country and hated it, I just said fuck it and went overboard, three-link front with coilovers and now doin triangulated four link rear.

And I think I saw some carnage on the RC leafs on xtremeyj's YJ too, I think one of the leafs bent like a twig and he said he didn't the obstacle hard either....not a good sign imho

jeffh
12-03-2008, 12:17 AM

comming from the car related motorsports world that sort of turns into your mantra. lap times drop with quality parts, i can imagine the crossover to wheeling cant be much different.

whazhappenin69
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
There is quite a bit of info on pirate4x4 on budget lifts for xj's.

I have also heard that Dakota leaf packs will give you a few inches of lift (use the cherokee main leaf only with the dakota pack) and either v8 ZJ or F150 coils should work on the front for a few inches.
I have never tried this but have been told it works.

I would personally save your money and buy a good quality complete lift to start with, you'll be alot happier in the long run. It will cost a bit more but everything will work as it is supposed to.

good luck with the project.

blacksn95
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Depends what your aiming for... some people want to run the lowest track times with the least amount of money invested.. Just like some people want a bush truck that can take you offroad but isnt a rock crawler... It just depends on what you want to spend and what you want out of the vehical... There's no right or wrong. it just all depends on how much money you have and what you want to spend

JACKNIFE
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Im a firm believer in doing it right the first time. Why cheap out to start and continuously sink money in fixing the broke shit all the time. Start with quality and you'll be happy

dh_4_ever
12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I got a set of leafs, re-arced main, with an new pack put in. was made like 3 yrs ago. the new paint was on till I went to prince george last year in the winter. now the paints gone. 50$. get some lift shackles, you will sit at 3" with a nice riding leaf. I suggest new coils in the front.

jeffh
01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
got a set of 31" bfg mud terrains on a good deal off craigslist, now i gotta make em fit

they seem so HUGE to me

dh_4_ever
01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
i fit 31's with my old leafs.. still got em if you want em :party0010:

Happypants
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM

good luck jeff

:s30x:

i would have to say close to best bolt on kit you can get right now for a xj is rubicon express i have the 7.5"xtreme duty with long arms and the 7.5 measured out to 10" over stock height and it hasnt sagged yet which has been over a year of wheeling it, dont choose a lift kit cause its cheaper, you get what you pay for with lift kits and if you wanna be spending money on poocomp or rough country your gonna be replacing it anyways in a few months weather you wheel it or just dd it, if you dont have the money to get a R.E lift then save up some coin, its definitly worth it in the long run,

poly performance,rubicon express and clayton offroad are the only kits i would ever consider buying

jeffh
02-21-2009, 10:07 AM
well heres an update on the whole scenario

i went with everyones advice, gonna do it right (for the most part) the first time
called up Bryce, got him to bring me in a Rubicon Express 3.5 superflex with new rear leafs

then last sunday me and 3 buddies slaved away for 8 hours and installed it, and threw my bfg MT's on.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/jeff_haut/jeeping/DSC00880.jpg

bought an aussie locker at the same time. that goes in wednesday and tomorrow will be its first treck into the woods

here is before
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/jeff_haut/jeeping/DSC00831.jpg

and a better (sorta) picture of the whole package

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/jeff_haut/jeeping/DSC00885.jpg

Happypants
02-21-2009, 10:47 AM
looks good,

Taxidermy
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
nice jeep

jeffh
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks guys. we'll see how she wheels in the AM

BuckNaked
02-21-2009, 11:45 PM
becareful you dont trim to much of ur rear fenders though, dont really wanna pop that seam thats in there.

:dontknow: i was about to chop my fenders right out, what seam do you speak of
________
Magic flight launch box (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

jeffh
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
in the rear 1/4's there is a welded together seam that joins the inner and outer panels to form the wheel well. cant cut past the seam unless you are planning on welding alot