PDA

View Full Version : need some smarter help

ktowner351
11-09-2008, 10:30 PM
i need someone that lives in the kelowna area that has any clue about carb tunning to come and give me a hand im far past lost

shawn_ruley
11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
trying to get the floats set?

ktowner351
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
well shouldnt they have been set allready at the factory?

ktowner351
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
i live in rutland and i got lots of beer

StillRYE
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
What kinda carb are you tuning?

shawn_ruley
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
check the little glass porthole infront of the carb.
the fuel level should be exactly halfway up the porthole with the engine running. if its higher or lower, the float tabs need to be adjusted

Ms. Hillbilly
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a friend in Rutland...will see if he could help :confused0006:

good luck![cheers]

ktowner351
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
check the little glass porthole infront of the carb.
the fuel level should be exactly halfway up the porthole with the engine running. if its higher or lower, the float tabs need to be adjusted
yea its looking like its sitting too high.. :S so how do i ajust this

ktowner351
11-10-2008, 01:45 PM
What kinda carb are you tuning?
its just a new stock toyota carb

ktowner351
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
tryed to ajust float didnt get it figured out.. still need somebodys help

shawn_ruley
11-11-2008, 02:47 AM
sorry, was a bit buisy today.

sometimes the float tabs will get bent out of shape, throwing off your fuel/air mixture, and making the engine run really rough, or not at all. So they must be reset

to adjust the floats, first you need a tape measure and a phillips head screwdriver (make sure its the correct size, or the screw heads WILL strip)

next, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery (or remove both terminals and the battery itself if you like) and remove the air cleaner and vacuum hoses that are connected to the TOP section of the carburetor (while marking, or labeling the hoses as you take them off) and disconnect the choke connector (the giant connector with red and black wires going form the carb, to the battery)

The carb itself is assembled in three individual pieces, and you only need to take off the top part of the carb because thats the part that the floats hang off of.
It is held on with five (or six or seven:confused0006: ) philips head screws-they are all in plain sight with the air cleaner off, but theres one screw thats in the centre between the barrels, right by the threaded rod to mount the aircleaner-dont forget about that one as you take off the top piece.
-theres also a little choke linkage that must be disconnected as well-dont lose the little pin that holds it in place!

now, as you remove the top piece of the carb (carefully), note that the float is only held in place with a wrist pin that slides freely so dont let it fall out.

there are two tabs that need to be set on the floats (you will see them once you have the floats sitting infront of you)
the tabs get adjusted with the floats hanging from the top piece of the carb.
-we will call the tab that faces vertically the first tab, and the horizontal facing tab, the second tab.
-the second tab holds together a little spring loaded needle valve. Dont let this valve come apart! or you will be searching your engine bay for the little pieces that fell out.

first tab:
hold the top piece level with the floats hanging down and with your measuring tape, measure from the flat (bottom) side of the top piece, down to the lowest corner of the float hanging down-good baseline to start with is 1.89"

second tab:
now, turn the top piece upside down and push the floats down to preload the little spring for the needle valve, and measuring again from the flat side of the top piece up to the topside of the floats (which are now facing DOWN) -measure off of the corner thats facing towards the barrels and the choke assembly-baseline for this one is about .5"

once you got this one set, go back and measure the first tab again because chances are that its moved ever so slightly, then check the second tab again, and so on untill they are both perfect.

once the tabs are all set, reassemble (this means re-connecting ALL the hoses and linkages you removed), and leaving the aircleaner off, start the engine and let it idle and check the fuel level in the porthole.

-this is only a baseline though (factory settings) and you will need to do some fine tuning-if the fuel level is too high, then the foats need to be sitting lower in the chamber, so you would bend the first tab so the floats are hanging down a tiny bit lower and bend the second tab so the floats are sitting higher (go about 1/16" at a time)

and yes, this means redoing the whole process all over again (might have to do it a few times) untill the floats are sitting exactly where they should be and the fuel level is sitting exactly halfway up the porthole. It takes quite a bit of patience, but once you do figure it out, you will find it relatively easy and simple to do[cheers]

ktowner351
11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks a million i will give this a shot after work tomorrow

shawn_ruley
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
forgot to mention-it also helps to have a carb rebuild kit on hand. I think they are like $40 at wyatt auto parts behind crappy tire.

it has all the gaskets, misc. parts (including a few extra of those teeny little linkage clips that get lost so easily:o ) and a detailed diagram for dialing in the floats