PDA

View Full Version : winching options

ktowner351
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
bought a winch a little while ago, found that everytime i have used it shortly after the truck wont keep a charge.. ive always been told to leave the truck running when winching, but the guy at a local shop told me that i should install a second batt and turn the truck off when winching... to me that sounds like a bad idea?? any ideas?

ktowner351
11-03-2008, 09:17 PM
also im on my second alt batt combo... so now the winch is just disconected untill emerg.

pumpkin
11-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Yes you should have a battery just for the winch. If you have the truck running while winching, it puts a huge draw on the alt, which can overheat and toast the alt. So,,,,,when winching the alt should be disconnected from the winching battery.

ktowner351
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
is it possible to make it so u can have a switch on the dash for the winch operation and for it to disconect automaticly when the truck is turned off?? should be do able with a double relay system i would think...

stevem
11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
second battery is a good idea but i only ran 1 battery and stock alt worked pretty good pulled for 2 hrs staight had to let alt charge battery every little bit but bat and alt stood up anothe year until i pulled it out for a motor swap

ktowner351
11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
than i cant figure out why im on my second alt/batt in the last 6 months... all my lights and everything have been yanked