PDA

View Full Version : Xj steering fabrication

BushWhackXJ
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
so here's the deal. xj 6.5" long arm, with dana 30 up front. 3" drop pitman(and yes reinforced frame rail) I'm looking for some ingenuity. I'm thinking of 3/4 tonne or 1 tonne knuckle to knuckle tie rod set-up. I was thinking of cutting drilling and tapping for new rod ends, just need some help for the drag link and making it an over the knuckle setup. any bright idea's? or pics.

over size the holes on the knuckles, and put spherical bearing rod ends bolted? Yes i'm not talking about a 300$ kit, i'm talking home brew. Advice? yes i'm capable and have the tools, just need the idea's... THX

m j
11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
you need a set of taps 7/8"-18tpi left and right,
a tapered reamer 1.5" per foot,
and some 1.25" od x 0.219" wall DOM
es2026R and es2027L draglink ends
es2234r and es2233L tierod ends
drill the tapered hole in the es2233L to about 3/4" then use the tapered reamer to taper it
etc etc

http://www.partsmike.com/tie_rodid.html

BushWhackXJ
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
thanks mj, sounds like you've done this before. I didn't know that i could just get a tapered reamer... never thought of such a thing.

This still brings me to another question. Are these tierod ends bigger (OD and Taper)than stock? would it allow me to drill my Knuckles and taper them from the oppposite side in order to mount the tierod over the knuckles?

m j
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I have never done a jeep steering so I dont know for sure
you can knock a tierod out and measure the bottom side of the existing hole and compare it to the specs in the link for the ends I listed

the tapered reamer is about $90usd iirc
you do need to drill the hole out as much as you can before trying to ream it.

I have an image with the es2233L TRE modified to accept the es2027L drag link end, application is different but you can see the general idea.
also threw in a few images of the steering we did for Tom's Cruiser build using the same part numbers and tubing size.
He didnt end up using that drop pitman and has since added a PSC ram assist.
he hasn't had any steering issues.

Happypants
11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
you may have to move the lower track bar mount on top of the axle to keep the draglink in line and parellel to reduce bump steer,