PDA

View Full Version : Who can install my locker????

WestCoastMoose
11-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I've just picked up a Detroit, and need it put in. I have the space to do it . Businesses won't install it with the used bearings and races. But I'm ok with it, as long as the person doing it is confident in what they are doing.
Say 3 bills. :cool: let me know.
I've been quoted 6 and up with the install kit.
[cheers]
Dave

pumpkin
11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Whats it going in, and how quick do you need it done?

TWOZEROFOUR
11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
buy new bearings and races,, cheap and worth it[36]

dirka dave
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
[stupid] [stupid] [iagree]

nbrowser
11-01-2008, 08:28 PM

I'll second that.

WestCoastMoose
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
My first plan was to do this with new stuff, but was told I didn't really need it.
It's going in a 90 4runner.
Thx

SHITTY
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
i third that

1tontoy
11-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Ever hear the expression "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?".

No?

Okay.

Have you ever had a sexually transmitted disease?

No?

Liar. But thats none of our business.

Basically, you got a detroit - worth money. And then 3 bills to install it - more money. Call it 700 large, or what ever you young fellars say these days. Skimp on the rest of it just to have it all blow out on you? Stupid.

Put in the bearings and seals.

Oh, and the reason you got herpes was cus you didn't use protection. Just like you're trying to do now.

Metal Mulisha
11-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I Fourth That

barracuda
11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
its pretty simple make sure everything is within tolerance and replace anything that is worn or questionable.

As for replaceing it just for the sake of replaceing it, thats the kind of thing a shop does simply to turn a profit and brain wash the customer. Heck its only the customers money [16]

If you want an excellent job done by someone that i would trust I would take it to Pumpkin if he has the time. If something needs or should be replaced he will let you know .

All you are doing is replaceing a carrier on a toyota it isnt fucken rocket science like some folks would like you to believe:cool:

gavman
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
If the original bearings are in good shape, then why replace those genuine Japanese bearings with likely below par after-market ones. I did both my lockers and used the old ones.:confused0006:

pumpkin
11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Yup,,,,,oem stuff is usually a whole lot better quality than what is available.

youngun
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I can install it at my work if you bring me just the 3rd member in. Drop it off in the morning, done late afternoon. let me know. My work is in Kelowna..

WestCoastMoose
11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys.
I'll get some new ones and check the old.

Pumpkin has mentioned he 'll do it.

Other than the one posting on here,thanks for the input.

Stetson
11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
its pretty simple make sure everything is within tolerance and replace anything that is worn or questionable.

As for replaceing it just for the sake of replaceing it, thats the kind of thing a shop does simply to turn a profit and brain wash the customer. Heck its only the customers money [16]

If you want an excellent job done by someone that i would trust I would take it to Pumpkin if he has the time. If something needs or should be replaced he will let you know .

All you are doing is replaceing a carrier on a toyota it isnt fucken rocket science like some folks would like you to believe:cool:

[stupid] if the 3rd is out and you know how to do all that work, putting in the Detroit should take you 20 min max, I would trust your old toy crap far more than after market new US parts. just my .02.

Think, your not changing pinion pre-load, you dont need any gaskets, just a good quality silicone for the 3rd housing, and its only 4 carrier bearing cap bolts, 2 12mil dial retainer bolts, and a dozen or so carrier bolts, just make sure you torque them to spec, and all you have to worry about when installing is tooth engagement depth which is a no brainier.

LuckyBains
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Stetson you so Crazy. [cheers]

Where are the pictures:confused:

dirka dave
11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd say pre-load, backlash and pinion depth might be important...

Just sayin'........yo

B
11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

it goes along with warrenty kyle ... if i put it in with your used junk and it fails your still going to blame me and when it goes it takes out and axle then im susposed to replace that as well ... ?
i get where your coming from but your smart enought to see both sides ... [cheers]

i agree bob does good work [cheers]