PDA

View Full Version : Help---Front Brake Seized up.

Vastier
10-30-2008, 10:22 PM
So I'm driving around tonight and the jeep starts pulling hard to the left and kinda started stopping on it's own. Front left brake is real tight. Still turns with alot of power but that was when it was still warm. Have a feeling it won't budge by the morning. I haven't a clue about brakes. One of those things I've never really been interested in but I'm giving myself a crash course tonight. So can anyone tell me how to adjust the calipers so it's not so tight? Just need it loose enough so I can go get them done proper.
[cheers]

spitty
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
you sure its not the wheel bearings?

Vastier
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Haven't gotten that far yet. It smells like burning brakes though. I'll be lifting it in the morning and pulling the tire off for a closer look. Doesn't make any sort of noise at all. It's just real tight.

spitty
10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Haven't gotten that far yet. It smells like burning brakes though. I'll be lifting it in the morning and pulling the tire off for a closer look. Doesn't make any sort of noise at all. It's just real tight.
did you notice if the hub was abnormally hot?

Vastier
10-30-2008, 10:42 PM
There was definately something hot in there. Could here it ticking away as it was cooling down. Not sure if it was the rotor or the hub though.

Tinker
10-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Very common problem, ya gonna need a new caliper. You can take off the fluid cover and try and reset the piston, Take off the caliper bolts and get a clamp on it to push it back or a big screwdriver till you can get it off and then use the clamp. The boot is probably ripped and you have dirt in side the caliper so I wish you luck.

Happypants
10-30-2008, 11:56 PM
like jeff said, more likely the caliper not the wheel bearing, easiest way is if you have braded lines, then pull the line, kink it, pull the bolts on the caliper,get a big ass pry bar and start from the top and pry on that bitch, but make sure you also pull your/inspect your hub bearing because the heat from the rotor/caliper could mess up the hub bearing and deem it useless,

pistnbroke
10-31-2008, 01:28 AM
most likley a caliper or a brake hose

pumpkin
10-31-2008, 06:20 AM
most likley a caliper or a brake hose

Yup, if braided lines, DO NOT kink the line. If the brakes got really hot you need pads and calipers, but it may be the flex hose that caused the brakes to seize, if thats the case you will have to replace that as well.

Vastier
10-31-2008, 07:23 AM
[cheers] Thanks for all the answers guys. Guess I'll be taking it to the brake shop. Shitty time for it to happen...I'm moving today.:mad:

Mr Vic
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
replacing brakes on the d30 axle is super easy, i wouldnt take it to a shop unless you really have to. 2 bolts for the caliper, 1 bolt for the brake line. brake pads just pop into place without much effort.

Honky
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Thats an easy fix. too bad you didn't have more time

knox
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
like mr vic and honky said, this is super easy to do, just take a few before pics, its just afew bolts.... go online to find how to bleed your brakes, and your done, takes less than half an hour.... [cheers]

JACKNIFE
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
If you still have problems and need to drive it beat the caliper with a hammer and it can temporarily fix the problem

best of luck

BOVINE
10-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Very common problem, ya gonna need a new caliper. You can take off the fluid cover and try and reset the piston, Take off the caliper bolts and get a clamp on it to push it back or a big screwdriver till you can get it off and then use the clamp. The boot is probably ripped and you have dirt in side the caliper so I wish you luck.

Ya what he said....

I had the caliper seize on my tj

It will only take 30 min the change a front dana 30 caliper its super easy.

Little Samurai
10-31-2008, 11:17 PM
If ya got the time do it yourself, it's not hard at all you just need a big clamp to push in the piston aside from that I am sure you have everything else you need to git er done.