PDA

View Full Version : Pinging wont go away

girlcrazy_4
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
1991 3VZE, 5 speed, 380,000k
I get pinging at steady state cruising, light to no load, any rpm, any gear, any speed. If I very gently accelerate, or very gently let off the accelerator, it stops. Octane and brand of fuel makes no difference. I am in the midst of replacing the spark plugs and they are a very light tan-almost white with signs of detonation on most of them. Looks to be running very lean. No other drive ability problems.

I also smell that "old oil" small from my truck once and ahile. This makes me believe that there is carbon buildup in the engine but does not use any oil.

Waddya think?

dirka dave
10-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Timing ?

girlcrazy_4
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Havnt had a chance to borrow a light ^^ I'll check it when i've got a chance.

I can hear a vacuum leak and I've gone over the lines with a can of ether and still no luck. Its passenger side around those idle solinoids, under the intake or in that proximity. I think a vacuum leak could possibly cause ping

spitty
10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Havnt had a chance to borrow a light ^^ I'll check it when i've got a chance.

I can hear a vacuum leak and I've gone over the lines with a can of ether and still no luck. Its passenger side around those idle solinoids, under the intake or in that proximity. I think a vacuum leak could possibly cause ping
when was the last time the belt was changed

john deere
10-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Are you sure it is a ping and not a tick like a lifter ?:)

girlcrazy_4
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
when was the last time the belt was changed

Which belt are you refering too? The engine makes alot of different noises. The powersteering bump bearing squeels, I've got a noisy lifter on the driver side that is distinct on quiet nights, and now I can hear a vacuum leak... ever so faint but I know its there. Ether proved worthy and the engine revved once or twice but never found the source... just the proximity.

I'm positive its ping. Sounds like a tin can rattling around, lol.

dirka dave
10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Timing belt...http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/character0036.gif

1tontoy
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Could be a Russian submarine. Probably a Victor class. The "pings" are audible with them. If it was an Oscar class boat, your Yota would have had a torpedo rifled up its ying yang by now.

Check timing. Replace ECM. Go from there.

ktowner351
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
who knows it could be your bearings starting to go.. lol does it sound like a diesel when its running lol

girlcrazy_4
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
think it was the plugs. Running premium and new plugs and its mostly ok now. The old plugs had chunks of porcilin missing from detonation.

shancerlelby
10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
with that many k's i'd think alot of carbon would be built up in the motor and maybe getting hot spots on the pistons? :S do the yota thing and run some sea foam thru the thing (vac line to the brake booster) might be a good place to start. if your running 12 degrees on your timing you might want to bump back to stock 10 deg