PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engine problem

Strider
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I just had my 22R rebuilt. dropped it in, hooked it up, and now when I pour coolant in the radiator it runs out the oil pan...

Have I hooked up hoses wrong like a dumbass, or is there something missing internally??

Thanks

dirka dave
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Crack in waterpump/ timing cover housing ?

Strider
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Doubtful, brand new water pump and the timing cover was completely re-finished, bead blasted and checked.

Its definatly not a small crack, when I pour in water into the rad it runs right out the oil pan no small trickle, just as if I had dumped it in the head. if I dump in 1.5 liters it comes pouring out.

toyon35s
10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Doubtful, brand new water pump and the timing cover was completely re-finished, bead blasted and checked.

Its definatly not a small crack, when I pour in water into the rad it runs right out the oil pan no small trickle, just as if I had dumped it in the head. if I dump in 1.5 liters it comes pouring out.

sounds like a gasket was missed opps[cheers]

dirka dave
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Did you put the plugs in the end of the block, behind the flywheel ?
I think there are 3 or 4 alen head plugs for coolant and oil passages.

Well, I guess it would be comming out of the bell housing, nevermind.

dirka dave
10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Head gskt in upside down ?

Strider
10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Don't think the gasket is in upside down, but only one way to find out I guess.

ktowner351
10-28-2008, 11:45 PM
my advice would be check the hose behind the water pump on the drivers side... if it isnt hooked up perfect it will leak no matter wut.. i did mine like 4 times before i found it... its probly just leaking down the side but looks like the oil pan...

colonelangus
10-29-2008, 12:12 AM
I just had my 22R rebuilt. dropped it in, hooked it up, and now when I pour coolant in the radiator it runs out the oil pan...

Have I hooked up hoses wrong like a dumbass, or is there something missing internally??

Thanks
first of all why was the oil drain plug out..it should have been installed with oil in engine..second if coolant is coming out the oil pan that quick you may have a cracked block..i had a 340 demon that had same problem..did lordco rebuild yours too.?:confused0006:

dirka dave
10-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Have you changed the intake ?

Strider
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
my advice would be check the hose behind the water pump on the drivers side... if it isnt hooked up perfect it will leak no matter wut.. i did mine like 4 times before i found it... its probly just leaking down the side but looks like the oil pan...

No its is definatly coming out of the oil pan. the oil wasn't even close to oil when I drained it. Its mixing up with the coolant.

first of all why was the oil drain plug out after I had oil/coolant shoot out of the valve cover 3' in the air I freaked out and pulled the plug to drain it.
The plug was in before(not that stupid;) )

Have you changed the intake ? original intake for coolant but new water pump.

Just talked with the machine shop they are sending a tow truck to pick up the rig and take it in, gonna pull the engine and deal with it themselves.

Thanks guys

dirka dave
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Weird....post up what they find.

FZJ80
10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
You must have a water hose connected to the crank case vent, i wouldn't think a gasket would leak that much coolant that quick.

Stetson
10-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Ding Ding, seen this a few times before! head scratcher huh! Your head and block are not flat. they warp over time, just a thousandth or so, especially when they are taken apart. Take it apart, and run a strait edge from corner to corner. Ive sent out heads and blocks to be plained and decked, and all they did was plain it, or decked the block but not the head. If both are not decked, its not flat and STRAIT, you put the two together, and to your eye they look flat, and you think torquing them to spec would mate them tight, but it doesn't. And no the gasket will not make up the difference! Ask Custom Runner, rebuilt his twice do to this, first he got to start it for two seconds, and muck up all the new parts, the second time we left the plug out like you and watched the coolant all pour out. Took us a while to figure it out too. Went back to the machine shop and the lazy guy in the back only plained the two clean, but did not deck them. Its alot of work to do it again, but there is no way around it.

dirka dave
10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Well the shop that put the engine together sould bite that one if thats indeed thhe problem.....
Sounds a little more than a few thow. differance to me.

FZJ80
10-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it would take more than a few thou on a head gasket to let coolant flow into crank case the way he is saying.

Stetson
10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
One quick thought if you think your machining is good, did you put the right bolts in the right holes in the water pump. they're different lengths, and one is supposed to be siliconed when installed. this also could be your problem, and an easier thing to check.

colonelangus
10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I think it would take more than a few thou on a head gasket to let coolant flow into crank case the way he is saying.
i agree
what about internal frost plugs ..are there any that could have been over looked .

Stetson
11-02-2008, 11:02 AM

you would be supprised, untill you see it pouring through with your own eyes [cheers]

is its resolved yet?

another idea, did you over torque the water pump bolts and put a crack in the timing cover? just a thought. seen that too... . . .

ktowner351
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
another issue ive had was the impelor on the water pump was a hair to big and it wore a hole right through the timing cover... nothing to the eye but found a pin prick hole when i put it up too light...

Stetson
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
another issue ive had was the impelor on the water pump was a hair to big and it wore a hole right through the timing cover... nothing to the eye but found a pin prick hole when i put it up too light...

That may be your problem. I see on your sig you have an 87, and you wrote 22r. Most all 85 and up are an RE, fuel injected. The 85 and up are generally called a laser block, it is .009 taller than the other blocks. this could be your problem with gettin parts, there are a number of different water pumps for the r and re motors depending on the block and cover. They're not all the same. as yours is an 87 with an "r" motor, make sure you get the right ones. you may have a laser block, or you may not. you may see in a gasket kit you get two sets of timing cover gaskets, and one is a millimeter less in length, this is for the two different blocks.