PDA

View Full Version : zf5 diesel vs gasser?

Fuzzydog
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I might be wanting to replace the zf5 in my 91 F250 diesel 4x4. Can I use one from a gasser F350/F250, or are they geared differently than the diesels?

radman
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
i belive they are geared the same. im not shure what bell housing is the same as the 7.3, as they are not changeable. if you are looking for a new trans. take a good look where the rear mount bolts to the trans. the ears tend to brake off.

Fuzzydog
10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Radman - I didn't think about the bellhousing thing. Didn't realize they are not changeable. My tranny is getting a bit hard to shift. Hopefully I only need a clutch and/or some bracing for the firewall (I've read that years of hard clutching can flex and crack the firewall to where the clutch rod does not move the clutch it's full range of motion :eek:)

FU Toolbag
10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Ah, not right, sortoff. If you are using a zf5 from a 460, no problem to put on a 7.3. The gas ones are actually better for a desiel than the original ones as theye have'nt had the shit rattled out of them. I've never had a problem with the ears breaking off, and yes they are geared the same.

Clutch rod? it's not hydraulic?

Fuzzydog
10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks FU. if I understand you correctly the bellhousing pattern on the 460 is the same as the 7.3l?

Regarding the clutch rod, I might not be using the right term. I think I mean the pedal rod? apparently it gets ovaled out over time and reduces the hydraulic effect...... there were pictures on the diesel forum.

radman
10-25-2008, 11:52 AM
i seen a truck here the other day, the clutch master cyl. looked like it was going to rip out of the fire wall.

FU Toolbag
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
There is a small nylon washer/spacer ont the pedal arm that likes to wear out. It's a ford only part and is about $5. It's pretty easy to change as well.