PDA

View Full Version : Link changes

Apathy
10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok, I'm going to be changing my front suspension sometime this winter / spring.
I was thinking about accomplishing 2 things at 1 time.
In the picture, the red lines show my current link positions (front is a radius arm).
I'm thinking of changing it to, the blue lines.
In the rear, other than haveing to go to a bushing to keep the angled links upright (one end only) are there any other concerns? I'm thinking about changing this to improve my break over angle. Driveline is not a concern.

then, i wanted to take my rear links and put them as lowers in the front (i havn't worked out all of my dimentions yet) i might have to shorten them a bit. But they are hell for stout (1.5" x .25 DOM sleaved with 2x2 1/4").

Anybody see flaws in my logic?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/newlinks.jpg

Nutbar
10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't heard of bent links having any bad drivability issues but the two things that come to mind as problems I could see would be #1 - only using a rod end or some other swivel end at one end of the link the rod end will run out of misalignment and bind while flexing the suspension and #2 - a bent link will already have a weak point at the bend to further bend or break under heavy abuse, but this is a little easier to overcome, by just building them extra heavy.

Apathy
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks Mikey, that pretty much what i was thinking.
do you think that 2x3 .188 wall would be ok back there? They would be cut, welded and reinforced on all 4 sides of the weld joint.
I'm not too worried about binding as i have WAY too much travel anyway.(therefore the limiting straps
I'm also going to be putting my front springs out back, and trying some linear rate coils up front. My rig has sagged quite a bit over the last 3 years.

Apathy
10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Every time i look at this old pic, i think... wow.. she used to be pretty!

Nutbar
10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
.188 wall should be heavy enough the rock sliders on the CJ are 2x2 .188 and I haven't killed those yet, it's been 8 yrs and a LOT of abuse,

Oh and I know what ya mean about "used to be pretty"