PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium runflats

RCCruiser
10-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok, I'm finally working on my Hummer rims. I'm in the process of re-centering them. I still have the magnesium runflats. I won't be using the PVC or the other aftermarket inserts quite yet. So, I want to cut down the magnesium ones.
So, my question is, how can I cut them down safely. I wouldn't want to light them on fire. http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
I have searched a bit, and most talk about grinding them down. Can this be safely done without them catching fire?

Trooper
10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
You can grind magnessium just be very carefull of the dust. Machining would be a better idea. Any ground of machined surface must be pickled with dichromate to prevent corrosion and trust me magnesium corrodes like no other metal.

RCCruiser
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
. Any ground of machined surface must be pickled with dichromate to prevent corrosion and trust me magnesium corrodes like no other metal.
That's something I never thought of. Would just plain paint help with corrosion prevention?

dirka dave
10-19-2008, 11:02 PM
You still owe me beer....

Trooper
10-20-2008, 12:40 AM
That's something I never thought of. Would just plain paint help with corrosion prevention?

No a plain paint cannot and paints with chromates have been banned as far as i know. You can buy the stuff, magnesium pickling solution. Aircraft supply outfits have it same with allot of industrial supply places. Just dont get it on your skin or breathe it in.

KINGCRUISER
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I would say turning on a large lathe is the safest. Then get ahold of a business that does anodizing. They can usually pickle the metal for you.

RCCruiser
10-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanx for the info. Looks like I'll be using a sawzall, then keeping the peices for my next camping trip. :D