PDA

View Full Version : My Work truck advice needed

dickrick
10-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Well we have been told that the engine is going on our 1999 F-550 4x4 reg cab with a 16 ft deck and a 7.3 L Turbo diesel it has 420,000 Kms on it but here is the thing it is hard to start but once it is warm it runs great! It smokes a bit at start up and chugs till warm. We have had to plug it in all summer so it will start and with the weather getting colder it takes longer and longer to start. Compression test said that it had just over 100 in one cyl and around 300 in the rest Apparently it should have over 400 in all . Now ford quoted us $11,000 for a new engine installed and the cheapest for a new one installed is $9,500 . Aused engine was Quite a bit cheaper and apparenty they don't rebuild diesels cause they don't get a decent core.:dontknow: So my question is does anyone have any experience with this motor to help out my boss or know of any shop that would rebuild it? Cause if we don't do that then we sell it and I get to drive a new 2009 f-550 4x4 So any help or bids would be helpfull also to add a little light on the shape of the motor the turbo was damaged from dust passing through the air filter which has caused said damage. Holy shit I think this is my longest post ever....... in the Ford room too no doubt:dontknow:

D-Ass
10-18-2008, 01:18 AM
burn it and buy a dodge! at least the dodge won't spin a con rod out the side of the block

FU Toolbag
10-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Both my 7.3's have had none stop glowplug problems. I replaced the entire set 3 times in my first one and that was in a year. My last one I just made shure to plug it in an hour before I wanted to go anywhere. I coulda just changed them as well, but I was planning on pulling the motor soon. I used it like that for about 4 months, and it's now gone in favor of a 5.9 cummins.

The dead plugs sound like your problem. If it's running well once warm and it's just the cold starting, that's probably it.

Mission Hospital
11-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Call the guys at http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/

They only deal with Ford Diesels. They rebuild them and they pay for goodth cores. I have called them many times and gotten a tonne of free advise. Their website has some good tech videos as well.

They are located in Georgia so, you probably won't use their shop. All the same, they will tell you if it is a $200 part that you need and not a rebuild.

Good luck.

Mission Hospital
11-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I just remembered a tip from a friend that works at U-haul. Their trucks gets beat to death and they try to replace only things that are really necessary. When the glow plugs are on the way out they preheat them 3 or 4 times.

1. Turn the key to START. Wait 30 seconds. Do not start.

2. Turn the key OFF. Wait 5 seconds.

Repeat this 3 or 4 times to properly preheat the diesel before starting. This is only necessary if your glow plugs are weak.

It works for U-haul's tortured work-horses.

We have two 2003 F-350s with 7.3L diesels. One has 650,000 km and the other has over 800,000 km. Our other trucks are F-550 chasis trucks with pumper bodies on them. They have the 6.0L diesels in them. They both have less than 300,000 km. They feel so new you can almost smell the new car smell.

Don't give up. The 7.3L is a work-horse.

dirka dave
11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Sell it and buy beer and a toyota.

[cheers]

explorer
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
on the 7.3 the glow plug relay is knowed to to go i have changed 3 or 4 and it works every time and there about 70 bucks each there is 2 and they should be right on top of the motor under the plastic cover that says 7.3 ,you can test them with a test light

Rye Guy
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
burn it and buy a dodge! at least the dodge won't spin a con rod out the side of the block Yeah but the Ford would still get ya home[cheers]

Troy
11-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Sell it and buy beer and a toyota.

[cheers]
show me a toyota that will do the work an f-550 willasshole2

dickrick
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Well we decided to keep driving it till it don't drive no more. And we do cycle the glow plugs a few times before starting it now seems to work. I think I am going to buy a china top and have them sub contract all the shipping thru me.
Now any one have any experience with Hino's?

longhorn
11-04-2008, 05:18 PM
on the 7.3 the glow plug relay is knowed to to go i have changed 3 or 4 and it works every time and there about 70 bucks each there is 2 and they should be right on top of the motor under the plastic cover that says 7.3 ,you can test them with a test light

I bought a big industrial relay.
I found a link for it on the FTE site.
Its about 3 times as big as the normal relay and my truck has had NO glowplug problems since I installed it.
It was about the same price as a stock one.
If anyone wants one I can go find the link for you.

dickrick
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
yes please!

longhorn
11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
This works no bullshit...........
And Mouser Electronics shipped it to me quick!

http://www.guzzle.rbmicro.com/s_gpr.html

Reeseman
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I am a CT machanic. Try changing the glow plugs. It should start better.

blacker_69
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
first off, if you have 100 psi compression your motors done, min 400 second theres only 1 glow plug relay, the rearward most, the front one is for the manifold intake heater, most likely on your its burnt out. quick glow plug check. unplug each valve cover harness and with your ohm meter check the outer 2 pins on each side of the gasket 8 total, less that .8 ohms your glow plugs are ok and its a pure lack of compression and most likely a few injectors out of it. try running a cup of atf with each fillup in your tank, sometimes get a little more outta your injectors, or stanadyne.as well make sure both batteries are charged right up, if either batt is low it will drag down the other, ( no isolator) and check your cables. either way you can only put so many bandaids on. around 12k for new motor is what we charge. installed (ford) with warranty