PDA

View Full Version : weld in rock sliders??

bakelite
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Anyone ever cut their rocker panels out and weld in in some tube for a slider? Got pics? I can't seem to find anything cept sliders that go to the frame. I know it's not the strongest etc... Rotten rocker panels gotta go anyway. [cheers]

Edit: 83 Toy Truck :)

Trooper
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I did it on my trooper. cut off the rocker panals and welded in a 4x6 peice of tubing. Braced to the frame. I dont have any pics they worked nice and you dont loose the clearence from sliders. Im sure you can fiqure it out pretty easy

bakelite
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks, yep just wondering if it was done much, and ya it ain't rocket science. [cheers]

Stetson
10-16-2008, 08:26 AM
saw a nice job of that done on a Tracker of all things, looked stock, and was strong as hell. think they went with 4" x 4" box, capped and tapered. Give it a try, and post up some pics, dont see anything wrong with it, after cutting out the old rocker, drill multiple patterns of holes through the body above the pinch seam, and spot weld through to the steel rail, then stitch the main seams. you could even use angle iron against the pinch side, and the other against the upper body (door area), and cap the outer side off with a long piece of flat bar as to keep a nice tapered stock look, just some ideas, you got my head going

Stetson
10-16-2008, 08:44 AM
one concern, with a full framed vehicle, if you strengthen the body rail, and came down aggressivly hard on the body, it may twist, as there are only a few body mounts. the trucks ive seen with what your looking to do were on more of a unibody vehicle, just another thought......

bakelite
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Stetson, good idea's, I like the angle iron one, might try that. This thing is not going to get wheeled real hard mainly replacing the rockers with something a bit more sturdy. I can add sliders under if later if need be. Just getting some idea's straight in my head, back's fuckered right now so I can't actually DO anything. [16]

Thanks.[cheers]

Murd0c
10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
t-o did that to his sami looks wicked and they work well. Saves the hassle on hanging up on rocks

HEAVY METAL
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
couple shots of mine for ya brother....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/HEAVY_METALYO/Picture018-14.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/HEAVY_METALYO/Picture017-15.jpg

dirka dave
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Looks good Deaner.....

Wish my frame was that big.....

SHITTY
10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
that slider ain't budging. nice work

bakelite
10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
That's some solid shit Dean, thanks bro[36] [cheers]

1tontoy
10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Curious to know whats gonna happen with the frame and body move in opposite directions. Seems to me that a welded in rocker that is braced to the frame would tear along the weld on the cab, or at least twist the cab, when the frame flexes.

Welds look good, Heavy. That a self portrait? :D

explorer
10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
i have done it to my explorer and just welded it to the body and did not tie into the frame so that your not twisting the 2 against each other no problems yet

KINGCRUISER
10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Heavy did you weld the slider to your rocker or is it just a slider to replace the rocker? Gonna do this on a buds chevy soon too:cool:

epic3
10-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Curious to know whats gonna happen with the frame and body move in opposite directions. Seems to me that a welded in rocker that is braced to the frame would tear along the weld on the cab, or at least twist the cab, when the frame flexes.

The nose is the only accurat part

Joe I've done exactly what stetson was describing in my first scout it worked awsome and I did it out of 3x4 3/16 wall tubing

HEAVY METAL
10-24-2008, 07:28 AM

its not welded too the cab... and i personally didnt do the welding.. dont trust myself for structural shit yet..[cheers] 37inchdakota helped me build her..[36]

HEAVY METAL
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Heavy did you weld the slider to your rocker or is it just a slider to replace the rocker? Gonna do this on a buds chevy soon too:cool:

nope its very close too the cab but not welded..

i have come doen HARD on these things with no issues.

and fuck you phil...:mad0215:

bakelite
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys, just replacing the rockers with something more durable. Could always put on sliders like on Dean's truck later if needed but for now just kinda cleaning it up. [cheers] If I actually ever get around to it I'll post some pictures. Gonna pick up some steel today for it and another project...never ends ... which is good. [36] [cheers]