PDA

View Full Version : Max Lift In B.C

FordMclovin
10-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Hello,
What is the max lift for street legal in b.c?
I hear you can do 14 lift and 44" tires is max, I cant find it any where I called ICBC they sent me to some semi place which they were like I dont know call the your local cop shop.
I called them and they said I dont know.
So i was like I could have a 100" lift and 90" tires and run shit over, shes did not think that was funny at all. But I am wondering if any one eles knows?

Chris.S.
10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
My understanding is that bumper height is the main/only concern out here.

Don't really know fer sher tho....

toyon35s
10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
im not positive but i belive your max bumper height allowed is 48inches and head light height is 56inches but dont quote me on that[cheers]

Stetson
10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm a little rusty but if im not mistaken, regardless of lift kit, an suv bumper must not exceed 24", and pick-up trucks 29". there may be a law of headlight height but can not remember it. Some people, (including police) may say they tolerate 4" lifts but nothing more, thus not to be excessively picky, but regardless of the lift you have, the rule of thumb given to a peace officer, if your questioning the safety of a vehicle, they are to give you a notice to have it inspected. And there is nothing wrong with that, it is for your safety, and every other motorist.

If your running two feet of lift, and 44" tires, you could not argue that you would be able to preform quick maneuvers and stop in the same fashion as you would be able to stock. In smaller towns, where traffic is not what it is in the lower mainland, they may tolerate more, but its at the peace officers digression.

epic3
10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
bumper heights headlight heights amount of tire exposed ect ect ect are all things considered and also what attracts attention from the popo

rmiller026
10-09-2008, 11:33 AM
ive heard they will allow 6 inch lift but this is comming from the cop who told my buddy he had more than 6 inches of lift with his cummings with 35s and a leveling kit basicaly it comes down to your bumper hight light hight and wether or not piggy has had his morning donut

rmiller026
10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
o yea and tires sticking out

crazylike
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
no more the 2 inches of tire out the side 48 inch bumber 56 inch head light thats what they checked mine for. i've got 9 inches of lift 3 body and 6 suspention just made a drop bracket for my bumper :)

dirka dave
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
o yea and tires sticking out

no more the 2 inches of tire out the side 48 inch bumber 56 inch head light thats what they checked mine for. i've got 9 inches of lift 3 body and 6 suspention just made a drop bracket for my bumper :)

Both very true...

I did the samething with my bumper when I lived in Surrey and was driving to Stave lake all the time.

offroadordrift
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
i was talking to a tow truck driver and he said the new max for tires is 53inches... that seems big.
he also said he is running aprox 16 inch lift and 49inch supper swampers right now street legal...

jonny6door
10-09-2008, 03:05 PM
i was talking to a tow truck driver and he said the new max for tires is 53inches... that seems big.
he also said he is running aprox 16 inch lift and 49inch supper swampers right now street legal...

its not tire size or inches of lift that makes a truck legal/not legal. although by law a 4" + lift must go thru an inspection. bumper and headlight height are the requirements that must be met. bumper must not be more than 75 cm high and headlights max is 135 cm. you can get around this by making a drop bumper with headlights in it. also tires cannot be sticking out at all and the rear must be covered 2/3 with a flap. any tire can be use as long as it says DOT on them. the new 54" bogger is dot so there is no problem with them. and unimog 53's are dot so there fine too. also the suspension design cannot be changed from factory or it will not pass. ie. lift leafs are fine but if you take the leafs out and do 4 link it will fail even if they were the same height. also a toyota with solid axle that was original IFS will fail too, but ifs lift is fine.
________
Cloudy Trichomes (http://trichomes.org)

chevy69chevelle
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
mine passed an inspection with 11" lift and stock tires, barely. pick up trucks might still have a max bumper height, BUT I don't think you need bumpers on a pick up. if i remember correct, the headlight and bumper height messurements seem right, don't think there is a 'max tire size or lift size' but I remember reading somewhere if you raise your vehicle more then(think it was 10cm, but don't quote me on that) you need to get your vehicle inspected cause you 'altered' it or somethin

rmiller026
10-09-2008, 03:33 PM
mine passed an inspection with 11" lift and stock tires, barely. pick up trucks might still have a max bumper height, BUT I don't think you need bumpers on a pick up. if i remember correct, the headlight and bumper height messurements seem right, don't think there is a 'max tire size or lift size' but I remember reading somewhere if you raise your vehicle more then(think it was 10cm, but don't quote me on that) you need to get your vehicle inspected cause you 'altered' it or somethin

no u need a front bumper rears the one that dont matter

dirka dave
10-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I am going to check the CVIP here at CMBC...... about that.

Josh_M
10-09-2008, 05:56 PM
no u need a front bumper rears the one that dont matter

Nope, youve gotta have a rear bumper too "you must have bumpers in the same place on the vehicle where the manufacturer mounted them at the factory"... something along those lines.

Jeep_Explorer
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I heard that anything over 10cm (4") and you need to get yearly VI's...

BC_4RUNNER
10-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Well I guess I'm screwed:D

m j
10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
all this bullshit with bc inspectors is making a scratch built buggy look very good.
you become the manufacturer, that pretty much tosses the guidelines handbook that shops have right in the trash and gets back to the actual rules of what a car can be.
I have looked over the book that many are claiming is the rules for inspection, its a guidelines book not a regulations book.
it has no bearing on a VI for modifications and I dont think there has ever been a book relating to modifications for VIs.
that would require skilled and intelligent inspectors, and we know that would be a very rare commodity.
it is fun to have a Ubilt title with 5100 gvw and go through the VI.
bumper hieght rules cover under 5000gvw in their guidelines book (or did when I went through), for over they just stated something like equivilent to manufacturer.

bumpers are a pet peeve of mine.
a new car has a piece of rubber over styrofoam as a bumper. real safe.
the purpose of a bumper in a full frame vehicle is to stop the frame rails from turning into a spear in a collision.
lowering a bumper from the frame horns defeats this purpose and is a very stupid idea but they will tell you to do this to pass a VI.
5000lbs with momentum on a knife edge about 3/16" thick and 10" total frontal length is a dangerous spear

I am all for safety regulations, but most of this crap is not looking at the vehicle with an eye to safety

tchevy
10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
wether or not piggy has had his morning donut

[iagree] [iagree] [iagree]

Rye Guy
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Tire size does not matter as long as they are DOT approved tire. I believe 147cm to the headlight and the bumper heights mentioned in earlier posts.

But I am pretty sure that it does not come down to an actual lift amount. Moot point considering the other dimensions.

Oh yah an the morning donut is a must[36]

But remember that even with a current provincial safety decal you can be sent back to inspection @ anytime, thus proving the cops don't know shit.

The laws are vague and left up to interpretation of the officer, so be nice sound like you know what your talking about, and stay away from metro town[cheers] (that was VI twice for me) Bah Metro Town Copshttp://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0245.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Justin_B
10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
So i was like I could have a 100" lift and 90" tires and run shit over,

Something you would see on worlds scariest police chases:party0010:

bigorange440
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
3 inch is the limit...so 4 and over needs a inspection...i just talked to a guy that hands out inspections for a liveing and he said thats what the book says..

HILLBILLY
10-09-2008, 08:41 PM
max. hight veries depending on the vehical, for the specs. on your vehical call a certified shop tat installs lifts they can tell you what the front bumper and headlight hight is for your vehical

pumpkin
10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
This is a real funny read,,,,,all these opinions,,,,,,,,,,no facts[15]

BC_4RUNNER
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
This is a real funny read,,,,,all these opinions,,,,,,,,,,no facts[15]

So I'm not screwed?:D

FordMclovin
10-09-2008, 10:01 PM
so this all comes too........ WHO KNOWS!!!
Because it seems like no body in b.c knows....
Build em big..

Josh_M
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
If your trucks very illegal, just take the back roads like i do and see how long you can avoid 'em hahahahhaha

bigorange440
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
i can gurantee that its 3 inch lift..it came from a dot officer like a week ago when i was asking him about my explorer and he said the book says that 3 inch is the limit...but its like everything its only till u get cought..and most shops dont care as long as its done right

OldEnuff
10-10-2008, 12:07 AM
The Motor Vehicle Act says if you change the suspension height by 10 cm or more from the manufacturers original you must get a vehicle inspection

10 cm = 3.9 inches

and that is up or down .... so lowered vehicles are included

so a 4 inch suspension lift needs a vi......... according to the MVA

rmiller026
10-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Nope, youve gotta have a rear bumper too "you must have bumpers in the same place on the vehicle where the manufacturer mounted them at the factory"... something along those lines.

nope ask hornythorny about that

Foes
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
10 cm = 3.9 inches

and that is up or down .... so lowered vehicles are included

damn, getting an inspection on my piece of shit daily driver is going to cost more than the trucks worth lol

OldEnuff
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Unless you have some other glaring reason to get pulled over for a vi I doubt very much you would get one for a 4" lift

giggityjeep
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
This is what our Iclick group of guys got from a meeting with the DOT on our rigs, we just figured we would meet with him and get it over with, and see what needed done to get our rigs to comply or if they did already..

Well, we had our meeting and in all I believe there were about 10 people that showed up. It was a great meeting and I’m sure Terry showed us his real people side. He’s quite funny but also takes his job seriously.
We started the meeting off with a little run down of who he is and what he does. Terry Deacon is the Senior Supervising Area Vehicle Inspector. He is actually a peace officer and can stop you for speeding, give out tickets and do most of what the police can do, but he prefers to leave those tasks up to the police themselves. His group is spread pretty thin as there are only two of them and they cover from 100 mile, north to the Peace Country, east to the Alberta border and west to Rupert (I think it was). They had just finished going over the taxi cabs in town and prior to the meeting he had just reviewed 71 cabs. Whew!
Terry gave us all a nice hand out which essentially went over the main points they look for. Being a bit of a wrench himself, he knows what to look for.
Lights:

Headlamps must have a min height of 56cm and a maximum height of 137cm. measured to the middle of the light
Tail lamps, mi is 38cm and max of 183cm
Fog lamps min is 30cm and max is “below the headlamps”
Aux driving lights min is 40cm and max 106cm

You are allowed to have 2 driving lights and two fog lamps. Note: These types of lamps actually are stamped fog or driving.

Lightforce lights are ILLEGAL and must be covered (with a solid cover that light cannot shine through) at all times while on public roadways. This is because they have no light diffuser lens. Lights that are above or below the requirements must also be covered.

We spent quite a bit of time on the light section but I felt this was good as, this is where I commonly hear misconceptions about them.

Topic: Lifted 4x4’s.
Basically you are a target. Any vehicle that is lifted and has larger tires (vehicle has been altered) can be stopped and for no reason other than it is lifted/tires. The stopping officer does not have to give you any reason for pulling you over or for sending you to get an inspection.
We want to do it right but as Terry says, you wouldn’t believe what’s on the road.

Terry says, if you do alter your vehicle watch your tail light and headlight heights. Make sure your tires are covered properly and go get it inspected, especially if you are interested in doing it right.

Tires must be covered by mud flaps/guards from the top center of the tire, down to the middle back of the axle height. The entire tread must be covered. None of this inch away stuff.

Under no circumstances are there to be welded steering components. NONE!

So lets says Terry or his fellow officers pull you over, what do they do?
First they check your DL and insurance papers
They check your attitude. (this is everything)
Check your lights
Check your steering (they will ask you to rock the wheel while they look at your wheels)
They’ll ask you to open your hood
They look at your brake reservoir (leaks, or down on fliud)
They check your emergency brake (more on this later)
Check the exhaust
Check your bumpers
If all is good then they send you on your way. If not they can send you for an inspection or take you off the road. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!

Emergency brake. This is not a parking brake. It is called an emergency brake. The idea behind it is that if your hydraulic brakes failed the vehicle needs a manual override to stop the vehicle from speed. If stopped and questioned about the effectiveness of your Ebrake the office can ask you to drive and stop the vehicle with the ebrake.

OK, some members of ICLICK couldn’t make the meeting and had questions which I will try to answer.

1. With rear disk brake conversions, is the parking brake a concern? YES, it must be a manual system that can stop the vehicle from speed.
2. Is a adjustable proportioning valve ok? Yes, definitely.
3. Can a person convert a booster/master cylinder from a 4whl disk vehicle to something with aftermarket rear disk brakes to achieve correct proportioning? Recommended to take the question up with a inspection facility. They can give you specific instructions as they are trained.
4. Any problem doing a spring over axle swap to a vehicle that came with a spring under? No problem but there will then be steering problems. Get it inspected.
5. Is a Tcase brake ok? It must be able to stop the vehicle from speed and run independent from the hydraulic brake system.
6. Do bumpers have to be the width of the body, frame or tires? It must be at least 4 inches horizontally and able to take an impact. He wasn’t sure and would get back to me on the width thing. Vehicle do not need a rear bumper. Frt bumpers lowest is 29.5 inches.
7. Can you add plastic to the bottom of the bumper to correct the height? No.
8. Is welding to the frame ok? Yes, if good trade practise is adhered to.
9. Are fuel cells ok? They must be manufactured and certified. No handmade. Prepare to show proof.
10. Is grooving of tires ok? Not on the steering axle and not if the tire is marked ungroovable.

Terry asks that if any questions come up to please call him. He is very approachable. You can reach him at anytime on his cell at 250-613-7926 or his partner Val Hunsaker cell 250-613-8284.

If we wish to have another meeting at anytime, Terry is more than willing to give us his evening and bring the info forward.

Once again it was a terrific meeting and the participants were first rate!! GO ICLICK GO!!

For further info you can also poke around their website athttp://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/ (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/)

you can clikck this link http://iclickoffroad.com/msgboard/index.php?topic=295.0 you have to register to view the thread, but there is more info on there about this or just call the guys.

for more info call the number there.

bakelite
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Good stuff, thank you.[cheers]

snowman
10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Fuck da police!!go fuck yourself

rmiller026
10-10-2008, 03:28 PM
comming stright from the under ground :dontknow:

Lego Racer
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
yup to the bottom of the bumper

Lego Racer
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
i was at that meeting and i even asked if i strapped a peace of metal to the bumper and then take it off in the bush. That was a big no. Has to be firmly attached to the bumper.

Reeseman
10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello,
What is the max lift for street legal in b.c?
I hear you can do 14 lift and 44" tires is max, I cant find it any where I called ICBC they sent me to some semi place which they were like I dont know call the your local cop shop.
I called them and they said I dont know.
So i was like I could have a 100" lift and 90" tires and run shit over, shes did not think that was funny at all. But I am wondering if any one eles knows?
It has to do with the hight of your lights and bumpers. The max hight is 13 feet 6 inches

Reeseman
10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I am a licensed vehical inspector.

In The Zone
10-11-2008, 07:20 AM
nice read

HEAVY METAL
10-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Lightforce lights are ILLEGAL and must be covered (with a solid cover that light cannot shine through) at all times while on public roadways. This is because they have no light diffuser lens.

:( uh oh....i need some covers

HEAVY METAL
10-11-2008, 07:55 AM
i could spray paint the inside of my clear lens.....

BC_4RUNNER
10-11-2008, 09:30 AM
i could spray paint the inside of my clear lens.....

What size are they Dean? I will see what I have layin around. Funny how people bug me about the covers on my lights but I am just trying to stay under the radar.

Ginger Snaps
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM
good read!

Rdnk_Wmn
10-11-2008, 11:01 AM
buddy just bought a dodge, josh you saw it, that white one, its on 49s with a 20 inch lift... and he got pulled over, VI.... not street legal... so he pretty much bought this truck and fucked himself over..

SHITTY
10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
build it and drive it. if u get pulled over the cop will tell u what is wrong untill then fuck it . getr done.:happy0045:

4skin
09-08-2015, 11:31 PM
This is what our Iclick group of guys got from a meeting with the DOT on our rigs, we just figured we would meet with him and get it over with, and see what needed done to get our rigs to comply or if they did already..

Well, we had our meeting and in all I believe there were about 10 people that showed up. It was a great meeting and I’m sure Terry showed us his real people side. He’s quite funny but also takes his job seriously.
We started the meeting off with a little run down of who he is and what he does. Terry Deacon is the Senior Supervising Area Vehicle Inspector. He is actually a peace officer and can stop you for speeding, give out tickets and do most of what the police can do, but he prefers to leave those tasks up to the police themselves. His group is spread pretty thin as there are only two of them and they cover from 100 mile, north to the Peace Country, east to the Alberta border and west to Rupert (I think it was). They had just finished going over the taxi cabs in town and prior to the meeting he had just reviewed 71 cabs. Whew!
Terry gave us all a nice hand out which essentially went over the main points they look for. Being a bit of a wrench himself, he knows what to look for.
Lights:

Headlamps must have a min height of 56cm and a maximum height of 137cm. measured to the middle of the light
Tail lamps, mi is 38cm and max of 183cm
Fog lamps min is 30cm and max is “below the headlamps”
Aux driving lights min is 40cm and max 106cm

You are allowed to have 2 driving lights and two fog lamps. Note: These types of lamps actually are stamped fog or driving.

Lightforce lights are ILLEGAL and must be covered (with a solid cover that light cannot shine through) at all times while on public roadways. This is because they have no light diffuser lens. Lights that are above or below the requirements must also be covered.

We spent quite a bit of time on the light section but I felt this was good as, this is where I commonly hear misconceptions about them.

Topic: Lifted 4x4’s.
Basically you are a target. Any vehicle that is lifted and has larger tires (vehicle has been altered) can be stopped and for no reason other than it is lifted/tires. The stopping officer does not have to give you any reason for pulling you over or for sending you to get an inspection.
We want to do it right but as Terry says, you wouldn’t believe what’s on the road.

Terry says, if you do alter your vehicle watch your tail light and headlight heights. Make sure your tires are covered properly and go get it inspected, especially if you are interested in doing it right.

Tires must be covered by mud flaps/guards from the top center of the tire, down to the middle back of the axle height. The entire tread must be covered. None of this inch away stuff.

Under no circumstances are there to be welded steering components. NONE!

So lets says Terry or his fellow officers pull you over, what do they do?
First they check your DL and insurance papers
They check your attitude. (this is everything)
Check your lights
Check your steering (they will ask you to rock the wheel while they look at your wheels)
They’ll ask you to open your hood
They look at your brake reservoir (leaks, or down on fliud)
They check your emergency brake (more on this later)
Check the exhaust
Check your bumpers
If all is good then they send you on your way. If not they can send you for an inspection or take you off the road. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!

Emergency brake. This is not a parking brake. It is called an emergency brake. The idea behind it is that if your hydraulic brakes failed the vehicle needs a manual override to stop the vehicle from speed. If stopped and questioned about the effectiveness of your Ebrake the office can ask you to drive and stop the vehicle with the ebrake.

OK, some members of ICLICK couldn’t make the meeting and had questions which I will try to answer.

1. With rear disk brake conversions, is the parking brake a concern? YES, it must be a manual system that can stop the vehicle from speed.
2. Is a adjustable proportioning valve ok? Yes, definitely.
3. Can a person convert a booster/master cylinder from a 4whl disk vehicle to something with aftermarket rear disk brakes to achieve correct proportioning? Recommended to take the question up with a inspection facility. They can give you specific instructions as they are trained.
4. Any problem doing a spring over axle swap to a vehicle that came with a spring under? No problem but there will then be steering problems. Get it inspected.
5. Is a Tcase brake ok? It must be able to stop the vehicle from speed and run independent from the hydraulic brake system.
6. Do bumpers have to be the width of the body, frame or tires? It must be at least 4 inches horizontally and able to take an impact. He wasn’t sure and would get back to me on the width thing. Vehicle do not need a rear bumper. Frt bumpers lowest is 29.5 inches.
7. Can you add plastic to the bottom of the bumper to correct the height? No.
8. Is welding to the frame ok? Yes, if good trade practise is adhered to.
9. Are fuel cells ok? They must be manufactured and certified. No handmade. Prepare to show proof.
10. Is grooving of tires ok? Not on the steering axle and not if the tire is marked ungroovable.

Terry asks that if any questions come up to please call him. He is very approachable. You can reach him at anytime on his cell at 250-613-7926 or his partner Val Hunsaker cell 250-613-8284.

If we wish to have another meeting at anytime, Terry is more than willing to give us his evening and bring the info forward.

Once again it was a terrific meeting and the participants were first rate!! GO ICLICK GO!!

For further info you can also poke around their website athttp://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/ (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/)

you can clikck this link http://iclickoffroad.com/msgboard/index.php?topic=295.0 you have to register to view the thread, but there is more info on there about this or just call the guys.

for more info call the number there.

Old but good info bump this should be a sticky

evdog
09-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info