PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 22RE Again

Taxidermy
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I still having problems with 87 Toyota pickup 22RE Engine. Had problems in spring, but thought fixed. Now that it is cooler, when driving the Check Engine Light goes on. Seems to lose power like no gas. Also shudders when backing. Also stalls and dies at stops. This starts after driving no more then 2 or 3 kms. Then engine light comes on and off and it stalls, hesitates and sometimes dies. Like after warmed up. Only been driven 1000 kms this summer. Seemed OK most of the summer, drove off road some and OK, but now cool, it is back to acting up. Sometimes it would hesitate, but easy to start. Now harder to start after stall. Sometimes it would surge a bit also. Tach showed it surged up and down a few times.

Has new O2 sensor, new PCV valve, new fuel filter, checked TPS and OK. Flushed out radiator and new fluid. New radiator cap. All fluids changed 1000 clicks ago. New belts. Well maintained. Toyota Deaker checked fuel pump, but it was OK, although not sure. Acts just like not getting gas. One mechanic said might be computer.

Have not checked codes again, but everytime in the past it was an 04 temp sensor code.

This is driving grandpa and me crazy. Cannot find the problem. Now so bad we can't drive it without it hesitating and stalling. Any suggestion would be helpful.

tchevy
10-08-2008, 11:02 PM
change your tempature sensor. not the sender, there are 2 different things. the sender if for the gauge and sensor is for the computer. if it is out of range the truck will have all of your symptoms. the part will be inexpensive and hopefully easy to change. let me know how it works out[cheers]

dirka dave
10-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Do you have heat sensing gun to check if the theremostat is opening and that the sender is working ?

darwyn haller
10-09-2008, 12:57 AM
I tell you.. I think better new engine. So, maybe Your truck is wrong on km high. I guess.. I am find in vancouver for engine price $950 for km 160,000. If you want to.... My wife is tell you about engine? Thanks [cheers] [cheers]

Cheese eyes
10-09-2008, 01:33 AM
[iagree] check tempature sensor and if the theremostat is opening, and the ground wires on the engine [cheers]

HEAVY METAL
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I tell you.. I think better new engine. So, maybe Your truck is wrong on km high. I guess.. I am find in vancouver for engine price $950 for km 160,000. If you want to.... My wife is tell you about engine? Thanks [cheers] [cheers]

are you drunk?

darwyn haller
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
are you drunk?

No, I trying help my friend Brandon. Thanks

Stetson
10-09-2008, 12:21 PM

[wako]

Um, everyone always appreciates the contrubution, but mabey read it back to yourself before submitting, and if that still makes sence, make an appointment with your doctor . . . . .

Stetson
10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
change your tempature sensor. not the sender, there are 2 different things. the sender if for the gauge and sensor is for the computer. if it is out of range the truck will have all of your symptoms. the part will be inexpensive and hopefully easy to change. let me know how it works out[cheers]

I think this is a good place to start, especially with what you have already done.

I know I always post this when people have stalling issues with a 22re, but do check the intake hose from the air box to the intake manifold. pull it off and check for any cracks especially in the flex portion, if the is any leak what so ever, it will mis lead your mass air flow sensor and the flapper will not open far enough, telling the vehicle it is not getting air, stalling out the vehicle. Seen this more times than anything else. When you accelerate, the engine torques to one side, and the crack opens up, and it gets a false reading and sputters out the engine.

Taxidermy
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM

No , I not want to replace the whole engine. Just want some more ideas on what to fix so that it works safely.

RIFF RAFF
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
[wako]

Um, everyone always appreciates the contrubution, but mabey read it back to yourself before submitting, and if that still makes sence, make an appointment with your doctor . . . . .

maybe some people should also read some peoples profiles so they can understand people better or at least know the person you are insulting. rather than just jumping down everybodys throat!!!! and thinking they are better than the rest!!!!!

darwyn hallar thankyou for your ideas and triing to help[cheers]

dirka dave
10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I think this is a good place to start, especially with what you have already done.

I know I always post this when people have stalling issues with a 22re, but do check the intake hose from the air box to the intake manifold. pull it off and check for any cracks especially in the flex portion, if the is any leak what so ever, it will mis lead your mass air flow sensor and the flapper will not open far enough, telling the vehicle it is not getting air, stalling out the vehicle. Seen this more times than anything else. When you accelerate, the engine torques to one side, and the crack opens up, and it gets a false reading and sputters out the engine.

That was going to be my next sugestion....

Glad that someone is on the ball.:)

It sounds like there is possibly TWO problems,
1- Temp, either sender or thermsost
2- Throttle position sensor or as you suggested gummed up throttle plates or induction leak somewhere or a restriction.

[cheers]

Taxidermy
10-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Toyota Parts for 87 22RE. We went to Lordco to find a new water temp sensor but no luck. Can you tell us a good place to find special Toyota 22RE parts? Napa, Canadian Tire or Toyota Dealer or other supplier. Seems hard to find older parts. Thanks for your help.

nbrowser
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
NAPA might have it, failing that you could try the local Toyota dealership, and while your in there, might as well do the thermostat, it's not expensive and from what I've seen, reletively easy to do. Just wish you were closer to me so I could force it into diagnostics mode and have it tell mewhat's wrong with it......

darwyn haller
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
maybe some people should also read some peoples profiles so they can understand people better or at least know the person you are insulting. rather than just jumping down everybodys throat!!!! and thinking they are better than the rest!!!!!

darwyn hallar thankyou for your ideas and triing to help[cheers]

Thanks.. You're right. I am deaf. English is my second language.

SHITTY
10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
this could be way out there but i was thinking maybe a vacuum line ? when i had my 22re in my toy it had a stalling problem when i applied the brakes and it was a vacuum line. but i could be wrong :confused0006:

Jayota
10-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Pull the codes again, might be something different.

colonelangus
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
vacum leak
have you checked your fuel filter lately.?

Toyota Girl
11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Try cutting the cat converter off. :P

mountain man
11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
If you need any parts, sensors, etc. I've got an 89 thats on its way to the scrap yard. Let me know if you need anything.