PDA

View Full Version : Hours to do a Timing chain R&R

Maelthra
09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
I just need the hours that a shop would quote me to do a timing chain on an 84 Dodge Ram 360. Local shop here says 6 hours and I think its BS.

ShuswapRedneck
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
probably about right...it was 8 hours to do my intake plenum gasket...6 hours they say to do ball joints. I'll search around and see if I can find that list that shops use that give ballpark times for certain jobs.

Tehaids
09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
I can see if taking about that. Once you figure in the time to take the front of the truck off, grill, rad, fan, water pump and cover, thats a couple hours already. Then the time to put in the chain, gears and tensioners. I could see it taking around that long, but then im not a professional mechanic so it would take me longer.

Maelthra
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Whoa whoa, taking the front clip off? look under the hood of your truck, I know in mine there's like 6-8" from the front of the block to the rad, at least. To me, it looks like you remove the belts, rad hoses, water pump, maybe the alt and p/s bracket, and the timing cover.

Though, I could be wrong, I'll admit I have in the past.

epic3
10-01-2008, 12:31 AM
24 year old truck original chain never been opned up I'd say thats not far off.
Its always wise to quote high and quote for all parts possible water pump timing cover front main seal ect ect.
Make sure they do the front main tho labour/parts wont be much more cus they are already there but it'll save you hundreds in a couple years if ya dont

nbrowser
10-01-2008, 08:13 AM
hrm our books say 3.1 hours.....

Lurker
10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Shouldn't take six hours, easy job if you can remember in your head where everything goes.

m j
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
do they still have the Mitchell manuals in the librarys?
go look it up yourself and photocopy the page

really though if you can do it faster then the shop, just do it.

Maelthra
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I might just do it myself if I had the time and space to do it. My set of tools is pretty basic, and our mechanic at work just took all his shit to school with him for two months.

I have a manual for my truck, I just don't have the time to do it right now

Apathy
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
don't know about that dodge, but i'd say about 3-4 hours.
I can do the timing belt in my pathy in 2.5 and i have to pull the rad.

kootenaycat
10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'd say around 3 hours is right. In case you decide to do it yourself, Dodge uses a funky harmonic balancer design. I had to buy a special puller that would fit through the 3 "spokes" to pull them off. Another wonderful engineering feat. [16]

m j
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
the mitchell manuals at the library included the book the shops use to quote jobs, the term 'books says it is a 3.1 hour job' is from looking at the mitchell manual.
I havent been to a library in 10 years but when I needed info like that it was available
I was quoted 12hrs to change a heater core once :)

nbrowser
10-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, I was a lookin at Mitchell at the shop when I posted that, it's online now....no paper, just an internet connection needed for us to get the most late breaking stuff, it said 3.1 hours on the 5.9 (360)

kootenaycat
10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I was quoted 12hrs to change a heater core once :)

Ever done an evaporator on a Pacifica? Or a heater core on a taurus/sable? Some are just about 12 hours. The '04 Pacifica I did last week was a first time job for me and took 6 hours, book was just over 5 I believe. These are the jobs you want the customer to come in half way through so they can appreciate my job. Complete dash, steering column and heater box sitting on the floor, was looking at the inside of the firewall by time I got everything out to access it. Stupid engineers. [16]

nbrowser
10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
heh I just finished cylinder head gaskets on a '98 F150 with the 4.6 Triton....NOT FUN ! started it monday at about half past 9ish, got off work at 4....didn't even have the valve covers off, didn't yank the heads til about half past 10 the following tuesday, sent em off for redoing n stuff, got em back wednesday afternoon, bolted em back up and got the timing chains and exhaust manifolds back on by 4...went back at it thursday, started at half past 7AM, finally turned the key at about half past 3 with a half hour lunch break somewhere.....friggin engineers....tons of crap to come off.....

PS. 10 bolts per head, 6 steps to torque them down in....try swinging a 2 foot breaker bar on the right side....yeesh friggin electrical center !