PDA

View Full Version : Buying a diesel...

Lynx
09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Hey I'm looking to get a diesel pretty soon. Something in the 10-15 000 dollar range. Main concern is fuel milage. I drove a 2003 f-350 yesterday didn't like it all too much. Any diesel guru's? I've been trying to do my reaserch but can't find much. Should I go with ford/dodge/chevy? Right now for fuel economy I'm thinking a 98 ish cummins. What kind of milage can I expect? :dontknow:

I'm really not going to be pulling anything huge,..... well I might just cause I can.

Thanks for you input, Cory

Shera
09-26-2008, 06:18 AM
We have a 92 cummins diesel dodge crew cab and love it ,only bad side of it ,is the turning raddis is tight so it takes some jocking around in tight spots but is great going camping ,just throw gear in the back and enjoy, one big tip when you get it NEVER let it run out of diesel or major problems ,we also put a second water seperator on fuel line because you have to be careful where you buy fuel as long as there is good turn over you will have no problems,oh yeah second thing is we learnt the hard way ,you need 2 batteries to jump start the truck if you battery goes dead as they need a lot of juice to turn over , there is a diesel for sale on wolf road [just off lickman] in chilliwack thats for sale [blue in color ] its sitting in the field facing the road., Good luck

Shera
09-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Oh yeah there is a good place in port kells that does work and preformance work strictly on diesel's but I forgot their name but they are good ,around 192 just off the main drag there

Rye Guy
09-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah there is a good place in port kells that does work and preformance work strictly on diesel's but I forgot their name but they are good ,around 192 just off the main drag there

PDR?

Cookie
09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
bought my 98 dodge 3/4 cummins a few years ago and it sounds the same as the day i test drove it.CUMMINS CUMMINS CUMMINS. i wouldnt go with anyting else. chevy makes a ok diesel but the cummins man nothin will last longer or even get better mileage.oh and i paid 16000 at ugly trucks for it. came with a year warrenty.the autos tranny isnt the best but if upgrade the torque converter youll be allright.

crazylike
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
i personally like the dodge diesel add an exhaust and a chip and your laughing 28 mpg with chip rouoghly 1000kms per tank. stock your looking at around 18-20 mpg

Candiass
09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
We have a 2001 dodge deisel - love it and its been a great truck for us [36] [36] Cummins all the way. Ours came with a chip so not sure what it was like without it but I say get it [cheers] .

B
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
dodge cummins ... and done

Cookie
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
i did the 4inch exhuast from turbo back and the k&n and that brought me up to 1100km per tank

Lynx
09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow thats fucking wicked milage, just what i'm looking for. Would the newer cummins do that kinda milage too? 12V or 24V?

Hard time time finding any at dealerships rights now. All fords.

westcoaster
09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
you buy a ford 6.0 your begging for problems.....

Lynx
09-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Whats the headache with 6L fords?

Happypants
09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
either dodge or chev, ive had my duramax since brand new, when i first got it i blew the injector pump, engine and tranny, but it was all warrantied, and gm has good warrantys too, never had any issues fighting with them or anything, plus the new duramax`s have more power and word is there coming out with a 6.9L duramax in the near future,

lots of guys out here have cummins, most of my family owns cummins, there also another truck i would look into buying, there roomy, comfy, lots of low end tourque and there are a million and a half upgrades for them, the auto trannys arnt the best but you get an ATS tourque converter and pull the tranny, have them add extra clutches, tighten everything up and your good to go, ive watched my cousin beat the shit outta his dodge, from rolling it 7 times, to blowing the tranny trying to pull a 8ft round stump outta the ground, he went and got it rebuilt with the ats converter and the clutch pack upgrade and...well, he got that stump out the second time..

basically, just stay the fuck away from fords, the new ford 6.0L`s have head issues, the bolts for the heads arnt strong enough under heavy load and high heat they stretch causing the heads to warp and crack, and blow head gaskets, you can upgrade the heads with ARP studs instead of regular bolts, but you gotta pull the whole cab off the frame to do any kind of work to the engine cause its so jam packed in there, they also have alternator/chraging problems,

rmiller026
09-27-2008, 01:36 PM
cummings or nothing period cummings is a true deisel everything else is just gas with deisel parts i mean theres a reason all big trucks are stright 6s

westcoaster
09-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Whats the headache with 6L fords?

faulty injectors filling the crank case with fuel
wire harnesses rubbing on sharp corners causing small shorts and major headachs (driveability)

variable turbo getting gummed up. turbo either has too much boost or not enough.
EGR valves sticking.
EGR coolers leaking coolant.
leaking head gaskets
weak intercooler boots. Under boost the turbo will blow the connectors off the intercooler leaving you by the side of the road with no boost.
cold weather starting really sucks
The list goes on and on.

The early 2003 and 2004 trucks were most prone to the injector issues. 2005 year trucks had pretty much the easy things resolved. Still had EGR and cooler issues.
The quality simply wasn't there.

Edit: This really isn't relavant in our climate.... but I'll toss this out there anyway.

dodge diesel cold start (note the ford in the back ground)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRcagq8FDU&feature=related

ford 6.0 cold start (note the dodge running in the back ground)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ru7cdisUtY&feature=related

Lynx
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Well looks like the clear choice is cummins...

Spent the day looking around and didnt see much for dodge. Is it a big deal getting something diesel with like 180,000 no warranty? Most have Vi papers comming from the states though. Would like to get something 2000+ year.

If anyone knows a dealership with lots of used dodges let me know, ugly trucks didnt have any.

westcoaster
09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
The cummins is not without it's issues either...

"53" engine blocks cracking
Killer dowell pins
VP44 injection pumps
lift pumps

The difference is, most of the issues can be delt with when your dealing with a cummins.

Once you figure out what year (range) you are looking at ho here: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php and ask questions (there are plenty other sites as well....)

You asked a question here, locate ford, dodge or chev sites to ask specific questions.

get stuck
09-27-2008, 07:43 PM
i would say a cummins or a 7.3 power stroke

longhorn
09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Ive got 2 7.3 PSD's and they are every bit as good as the Cummins.............except they burn more fuel!
My 94 isnt to bad on fuel but my 02 eats it up.

Moondog
09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Well looks like the clear choice is cummins...

Spent the day looking around and didnt see much for dodge. Is it a big deal getting something diesel with like 180,000 no warranty? Most have Vi papers comming from the states though. Would like to get something 2000+ year.

If anyone knows a dealership with lots of used dodges let me know, ugly trucks didnt have any.

Try Pioneer off of Horne in Mission they are the disposal center for the main Dodge dealer (Pioneer Chrysler) in Mission they usually have at least a dozen or more used Cummins in stock 3/4 and 1 tonnes[cheers]

arjan
09-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Try Pioneer off of Horne in Mission they are the disposal center for the main Dodge dealer (Pioneer Chrysler) in Mission they usually have at least a dozen or more used Cummins in stock 3/4 and 1 tonnes[cheers]

They bring them in from the US, prices are not too bad imo.

Cookie
09-28-2008, 11:17 AM
the 12v cummins will run to a million miles plus. if your after a motor that will never let ya down go with the 12v. very low workin motor.ive got almost 400000 on min.

Happypants
10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
ill stick with my duramax, fuel wise from delta to w.harrison and back on a 1/4 tank towing my jeep?? ahhh yeeaaahh

dirka dave
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
What do you want a diesel for, to tow, to haul stuff or just because your buddies have one ? :dontknow:

Different diesels do different things.

In my opinion :
For towing... Dodge
For hauling....Chev
For comfort....Ford

Wait until Toyota puts one in the Tundra, the all bets are off .

Just my 2cents..

[cheers]

Cookie
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
good thing that all you got is 2 cents.

B
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
What do you want a diesel for, to tow, to haul stuff or just because your buddies have one ? :dontknow:

Different diesels do different things.

In my opinion :
For towing... Dodge
For hauling....Chev
For comfort....Ford

Wait until Toyota puts one in the Tundra, the all bets are off .

Just my 2cents..

[cheers]

lost me here dirka ?

whats the diff between towing and hauling ? ... and by comfort u mean to drive ? ...

the cummins is the best motor out of the bunch ... period ... as for smooth and cumfy the chev with the ifs is the most car like handling .. but the dodge for a truck a least has coils not leafs yes because of the weight they do go thru track bars but they all have fast wearing out front componants due to weight ....

and ill come take ya for ride with the leather heated buckkes she's hella comfy ;)