PDA

View Full Version : Rear Pinion Bearing?

Little Samurai
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I have a 1990 samurai and recently stepped on the gas hard to get into traffic. When I shifted into 2nd gear I noticed some weird drive line vibration. One culprate was not one but two broken motor mounts (one had apparently been broken for a while). The other thing I noticed was a ping and then a chirping / squealing sound coming from under the truck. A real treat in rush hour traffic

I now hear this sound any time I am in 1st or 2nd gear and under load, even a little extra gas can trigger the sound on command. U joints seem good, RPM's are relative to accelleration there is still a light vibration and can feel some resitance to accelleration (not as responsive as before). Sooooo I was wondering what everyone thinks...rear pinion bearing?

Little Samurai
09-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Trick question I guess? The sound got worse until finally the rear U joint gave out. A least there was finally enough slop in it for me to be sure thats what it was for sure. I didn't know a Zuk 1.3 liter had enough balls to take out a motor mount and a u joint all in one shot, while driving on the pavement no less:dontknow:

Chody
09-27-2008, 06:51 PM
was gonna say same thing happend to me.... and it was the rear u jount