PDA

View Full Version : Warn Hubs ???

Tunabomber
09-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Ok so i have never had manual locking hubs before and i have a few questions

What kinda maintenance is required to keep em gooder

what happens if they are left locked

is it ok to spend the day wheeling around going in and out of 4 wheel but unlocking them for longer faster drives

im also told if i have to turn real sharp with no alternative is it ok to unlock one to bypass the locker

factor
09-20-2008, 09:46 AM
your doing it wrong dude

m j
09-20-2008, 10:49 AM
what locker?
if its a detroit it will have no effect in 2wdr so no need to lock one side or be constantly messing with the lockout hubs
lock them in the morning and forget them all day

Vastier
09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I had a Bronco II a very long time ago with locking hubs. I always ran them unlocked unless I was going to put it in 4 wheel. I was always told, never run one locked and one not...never thought to ask why. I'm assuming that it would cause some binding or at least a chance of it. Only advantage to them as far as I know is increased fuel economy while unlocked. Not sure of any advantages to them regarding off road... anyone?

epic3
09-20-2008, 01:37 PM
are you new to this hobby?

UU
09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
follow me, do what I do, until I do it wrong, then stop

Ironman
09-20-2008, 07:28 PM

but who is gonna tell you that youre doing it wrong?

UU
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
prob. some asshat in a toyota or a mog

BC_4RUNNER
09-20-2008, 07:45 PM

asshole2 it's not the toyota that makes me anasshole2 its just me:D

HEAVY METAL
09-20-2008, 07:55 PM
fuck this thread is funny

HEAVY METAL
09-20-2008, 07:56 PM
and greg you dont have waht it takes too be a true asshole...

Murd0c
09-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Tuna your doing it all wrong DOOOD

dirka dave
09-20-2008, 08:35 PM
are you new to this hobby?

No shit.....:D
[16] [16]

Tunabomber
09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
hey fucktards

New to this Hobby? Have a question (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85) (1 Viewing)
Ask any question about any topic and you'll get a straight answer. Please reply in ernest this is a sarcasm free room

so much sarcazm so many posts
so much lack of information

if ya dont know shut up ... it makes you apear smarter go fuck yourself

Burlinator
09-20-2008, 09:02 PM
What kinda maintenance is required to keep em gooder = the usual-get em wet pull apart, clean and reassemble

what happens if they are left locked = other than tire wear, possibly some extra strees on steering components :dontknow:

is it ok to spend the day wheeling around going in and out of 4 wheel but unlocking them for longer faster drives = Yes

im also told if i have to turn real sharp with no alternative is it ok to unlock one to bypass the locker = never had to do it to make a sharp turn but I have done it to stuff a jack in one wheel and then drive out of a hole, but I wouldn't reccomend doing this on a regular basis

Murd0c
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
man look at it and think. just make sure u don't over tightin your hub bolts cause they will break. other then that just make sure there's no gunk in there and there clean you shouldn't have a issue.

and you have to turn them until they lock for your 4x4 to work [f]

Nutbar
09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
for maintenance pop the outer caps off and look to see if water or dirt has gotten in, clean as necessary and light coating of light grease, I usually use Castrol synthetic (the blue shit) it seems to be pretty water resistant and only a light smear on all parts. To much grease in the sliding splines of the lock ring will make them hang up and not want to release. I coat the axle shaft splines with good never seize helps keep em from gettin coroded

for use if ya have any kind of an actual Locker and you don't get excessive drive shaft vibration, when ya go to go wheelin lock the hubs and just use the Tcase when your in 2wd an auto locker will disengage and allow normal steering with an manual locker unlock the Locker and it will steer normally

If you get excessive dshaft vibration then for extended higher speeds you will want to unlock the hubs to save wear on Ujoints and bearings

Tunabomber
09-20-2008, 09:16 PM
great info thank you

its a detriot in the front and no vibrations at any speed

trencher
09-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Not sure on the locker factor. I know you can do the one hub thing with a welded front. And it WON"T hurt the hubs any. The fear of having one unlocked with an open diff is the unlocked side will spin like mad and you could tear the spiders out of the diff if you get into it in mud or something similar. As i understand detroits they unlock when they "sense" pressure enough on one side during a turn. To me this means if a tire can slip it won't unlock so one hub out shouldn't matter there either.

A well greased hub is a happy hub. But don't jam it tight. Not necessary

Running around with your hubs locked in 2wd will just spin your front axle shafts. This will effect your tight turning ability ( the 4wd jerking in tight turns ) This will be worse with a front locker

Anything else???

dirka dave
09-20-2008, 09:37 PM
The best way to keep the hubs in good condition is to USE them...

This is not a joke....
They like to be locked ond unlocked, otherwise they will seze up.

UU
09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
do what I do, get the bitch to lock and unlock your hubs

epic3
09-20-2008, 11:04 PM
you still havent answered my question.

dirka dave
09-20-2008, 11:13 PM
you still havent answered my question.
What was the question ?:dontknow:

Lego Racer
10-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Not sure on the locker factor. I know you can do the one hub thing with a welded front. And it WON"T hurt the hubs any. The fear of having one unlocked with an open diff is the unlocked side will spin like mad and you could tear the spiders out of the diff if you get into it in mud or something similar. As i understand detroits they unlock when they "sense" pressure enough on one side during a turn. To me this means if a tire can slip it won't unlock so one hub out shouldn't matter there either.

A well greased hub is a happy hub. But don't jam it tight. Not necessary

Running around with your hubs locked in 2wd will just spin your front axle shafts. This will effect your tight turning ability ( the 4wd jerking in tight turns ) This will be worse with a front locker

Anything else???

X2

What type of Detroit are you using the front? Truetrac or autolock.

Manual hubs are great. Some say they are stronger but I have never seen either be better than each other.

Manual hubs are great for locked front ends. You can unlock your frontend whenever you want.

If it is a Truetrac you can run with your hubs locked and still turn.

Will it hurt your frontend if you have a locked diff and one hub unlocked... no. But like the other guy was saying still turn that hub in and out every now and then.

Maintenance... depends on how you use your buggy. I'm in a lot of water so my hubs are pulled at LEAST every two trip. Very easy to clean and re-assemble. I donít care if something breaks but when youíre out there it is just a pain in the ass to get it back to the shop when it has broken parts. I just donítí want to be that guy.

More manual part the better off you are in an off-road buggy... IMO[cheers]

dirka dave
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I wonder what is the maintenance schedule is for wheeling at Wendy's ?:confused0006:

j/k, I know you flex it out at Burger King also..http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/cheeky4.gif93203

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/rasta_occasion.gif

dirka dave
10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

but who is gonna tell you that youre doing it wrong?

Toyota ass hat here...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/cheeky4.gif

boogyman
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Ok so this doesn't look very helpfull so heres my opinion have been pulling wrenches since I was 2 literaly and I would think with a manual hub it souldn't make any difference weather you have them locked all the time or only one locked other then yes there is more stress on other parts such as steering, axles, diff, u joints and transfer case but the hubs don't care if there locked or not as per maintinance I would deffinately keep dry or clean and re-greese as necessary but you will get better milage not locked as free means it's not turning anything but the bearings not sure on the seals as I run autos they are sealed and should be water resistant manuals may not be but yes I would say if your spending the day off road lock them for the day and use the transfer case as it's a bit of a pain to get out and lock them when you get stuck in the mud so by all means give er' chit and it was great meeting you at the newbie run lol hope to wheel with you some time. P.S. I'm licenced to do nothing but drive it but as my father tought me learn every thing you can about things your interested in as theres no such thing as can't be fixed

Reeseman
11-01-2008, 10:09 AM
If you are in the water a lot it is a good idea to clean the mud out of them once in a while. It is fine to drive with them locked at low speed. Just use them and they will be ok. What kind of hubs are you useing.

dirka dave
11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
The time it takes to jump in and out, its better to unlock the front...I am locked in the rear (I think you are also) so most of the time I don't lock up anyways...

It just save ware and tare on the front end...