PDA

View Full Version : D44 inner axle seal replacement?

Mr Vic
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Last trip out with my YJ almost busted front u joint on the long side axle, the c clip was barely holdin on but kept the cap in place. took the axle out to replace the c clip and u joint, that went fine... more or less, had to bend the stub axle ears to get the c clip to seat properly.. put the axle back in, trying to be careful of the inner seal and not knock it out.. put it all back together and few days later notice the gear oil dripping out... fuck, guess i knocked the inner seal out [16]

axle is a dana 44 from a scout II

so questions are:

can I put the seal back in place without taking out the carrier? and any special tools required?

are all dana 44 inner axle seas the same part #? if i cant find one for a scout axle, would a waggy, ford or chevy d44 have the same seal or part #?

thanks guys [cheers]

Apathy
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I doubt you knocked the seal out. More likely, whe you pushed the axle back in, you pickep up some crap in the tube and now its stuck in the seal.

You have to pull the carrier to change the seals.
I'm pretty sure there are a few different part numbers for D44 seals.

Mr Vic
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
yeah there was some dirt n grime in the tube when i pulled the axle out.. so hope that is the case and the seal is still in place, really dont want to have the gears setup again, axle was rebuilt not long ago

going to pull the cover and check this weekend

thanks pathy [cheers]

Apathy
09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
If you pull the carrier, you don't have to have it re-set up.. you are changing nothing. and is pretty easy. Just make sure the caps go on where they came off and loctite and torque properly

One thing to do, is to pull the shafts, and get a broom stick and clean out the tubes.. make sure that the shaft is clean and try again.. sometimes mine leak, sometimes they don't. its kinda wierd..

Mr Vic
09-18-2008, 05:43 PM
good to know..am glad it wont require anything substantial. never tore into an axle before so its all kinda new to me still.

thank you for the info! [36]

epic3
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
hmmm good things to consider when I put mine back together.
Is it OK to straighten out stub shaft ears

Apathy
10-02-2008, 04:55 PM
not really, they become work hardened.