PDA

View Full Version : Preffered Locker?

4x4boy
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
im getting an 2001 silverado soon and i was woundering wich locker you guys like the best for silverado's? I was thinking auburn gear or Detroit.[cheers]

cowboy-truck
09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Front or rear??? Planning on lots of off-road on just week-end???
If your not going to be wheelin her daily you want to get selectable lockers, front and rear, saves on tire wear and on the drivetrain.
Happy wheelin[36]

B
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
detroit and done for life ..... auburn is a posi not a locker

factor
09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
it come's with a posi

Kingblazer84
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
detroit all the way

toyon35s
09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
it come's with a posi

[stupid] i know my truck has a factory rear locker and its a 2002 seirra 4wd z71:confused0006:

godtool
09-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I bought a detroit nospin locker for my 81 Jimmy which is not my daily driver from Canadian ____ in Surrey?? A guy off this sight told me to call Trev at Petes Driveline. Trev referred me to that place. I get "locker steer" on the main rds so I back off on the gas when I go thru a corner. It was a piece of cake to put it in my 14 bolt. I'm presently tightening everything up on my steering and suspension because having a detroit locker on a rd that you want to go 80-100 kmh with 38" swampers can be a bit white knuckling. If its your daily driver DEFINETLY get a selectable locker. Spend the money on a air locker then you have air on board for airing up your tires after wheelin' (if you can set that up). My detroit locker was approx $500 but a air locker is much more moola. My 03 Silverado has a factory locker which kicks in anytime it starts to slip so most of winter is done in 4 high which is more wear and tear. If I keep it in 2H and the locker suddenly kicks in my Silverado easily can go sideways so 4h for most of winter up here in 100 Mile House. I'd rather have the automatic locker vs. open diff though anytime. An open rear diff is better on slippery main rds because the other tire acts like a rudder, but offroading it can hang up with you going nowhere. May sound crazy but thats what I've found out.[36] Are you certain you do not have a rear autiomatic locker? Phone the vin# into gm and find out!

redman
09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I drive an 01 4Runner in it with a detroit, unless I let you know its there most folks can not tell its in the truck.

Bottom line is it works and always works, never will there be an issue with air lines or any of that crap and its my DD to boot.

go with whats strong and reliable

PIGDOG
09-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Detroits here too, front and rear. I wouldn't screw around with selectable. Detroits are fine on the road. They unlock evrytime you're off the gas. I can't say the same for some others.

offroadordrift
09-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Detroits here too, front and rear. I wouldn't screw around with selectable. Detroits are fine on the road. They unlock evrytime you're off the gas. I can't say the same for some others.

how does that work exaxctly... my understanding was you were locked up ALL the time?

pumpkin
09-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Detroits work kinda like a ratchet. It will let one wheel spin faster than the speed of the driven wheel, but the driven wheel will never spin faster than the none driven wheel.

PIGDOG
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I should add to what I said about some not unlocking. All lockers should unlock without load on the drivetrain. I used to have a lockright and it sometimes would stay enguaged around corners with my clutch in. Horrible road manners with a standard transmission. My detroits always release when my foot's off the throttle. They are fine on the street and perfect on the trail.

godtool
09-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I agree, you can't go wrong wih a detroit. Just remember to back off on the gas around corners so it can ratchet. Once in awhile it bangs when backing up in a corner but I hear thats no big deal. Detroits are cheap compared to air lockers. I think my wheel bearings in the front have been loose since I put my locker in so once thats good and my steering box frame cracks are patched, and no more steering slop and new shocks I'll be more interested how my locker affects my truck:confused0006:

godtool
09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Plus I've never had the opportunity to try a selectable locker but I've read they are better for the guy that only goes offroading 5-10% of the time they are driving.