PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 1 - Jeep Gong

lornix
09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to make this post and step up for Collin and his Chevy. We had fun poking at his torsion bar mishap (popped a torsion bar last wheeling trip), but yesterday that same Chevy hauled my broken ass around the bush and he wheeled the piss out of that truck! Many people would have said "screw that, I aint taking my truck in there again..." but not Collin...he fixed it and wheeled it again! Props to ya man!

Anyway the story:

Partcipants ...
Lornix (XJ),
Rango (Durango),
WJCraig (WJ), and
Collin the hero (Big ass Chevy)
The girls.

Finally decided to try out the XJ after missing the entire summer of wheeling. Got the brake to an acceptable level, swapped the busted rear 35, replaced the old CB, fixed the knocking engine etc.

I had a suspicion about the transfer case being sketchy, but had only rolled it up and down the driveway to make sure it actually worked in 4x4.

So off we went to Hale Creek and later a cool mystery trail that lead to the Lookout Lake Loop trail. Had never run this trail, but it was very cool. Not too difficult, but just enough challenge to make it interesting for the working 4x4s. I say working because my own personal gong show was in fine form as per usual.

I could hear the bearing chattering in 4wd and coming out of Hale the front output bearing of the t-case let go. Terrible grinding sound similar to getting a rock caught in your rotors, which is what I initially thought. After checking it out we determined that it was in fact the bearing.

So decisions ... do I head for home like a bitch or do I wheel it in 2wd? ... I suggested the Lookout Lake loop as I knew it could be done in 2wd ... and off we went.

We ended up on the wrong trail as the back way in was overgrown and be damned if I could spot it. The trail we took was basically an old rocky trail that wound it's way up the mountain towards Lookout Lake. If I can find it again I would love to run it under my own power!

I did pretty good in 2wd although I had to pound the Jeep way harder than I normally would to accomplish the same goals. There were sections though that were quite rocky and steep enough that I would have had to back down with just 2wd.

Side Note: Pudge, the D35 I bought off you stood up to a pretty bad beating yesterday :D By the time I got it home though, the pinion is clunking ... it was money well spent though, thanks man! This is the second D35 I have eaten this year.

Busted out the old winch and used the big Chevy as an anchor (and a small tree) and proceeded to do the deed. After 2 short pulls and one long one the winch packed it in too. The rest of the obstacles I got pulled by the Collin in the big Chevy. lol ... I don't think he even felt the weight back there, and he hauled me up some substantial stuff [36]

So, we had some great adventure, some good carnage, and some dirty old wheeling, rock-stacking, and chainsawing! We all got MAJOR pin-striping.

I had a great time despite the carnage and am looking forward to getting a newer XJ and building a more reliable rig. This one is tough as hell and I will keep the suspension, but basically she's destined for the scrap pile by spring. There is just way too much to rebuild to make it a worthwhile winter project. Better that I start with something solid. The old boy has about 5,000 km of level 3-4 trail time on it and it's beat.

Anyways, I didn't get too many pictures, but here are a few ....

Chilling at Hale Creek...

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-002.jpg

Rangos' 'Rango...

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-003.jpg

Some 2wd Winching...

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-010.jpg

Collins Jeep Rescue Unit...

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-011.jpg

Craig's WJ...

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-012.jpg

A last look at the station wagon ... I'm gonna miss my old friend

http://www.lornesmith.ca/bcjc/posts/Lookout_Hale-015.jpg

Had a great time boys! Can't wait to do it again.

Lorne

bakelite
09-14-2008, 02:23 PM
looks like a great day [36] [cheers]

keegs
09-14-2008, 03:32 PM
nice pics, sorry to hear bout the xj, u plannin on gettin a 2 door or 4 door for the next one???

theborges
09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Great story telling. sounds like a real blast

nbrowser
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey lornix....I gots a 242 if ya want it lol kidding.....just sad to see a Jeep get retired, I'm gonna do that soon with my black XJ Limited.....[sob sob] so hard to do.....

Happypants
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
why you gettin rid of the heep?

Trailjunkie
09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
dude fix it and wheel it another day.

Happypants
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM
i dont understand what all is wrong with it? mostly driveline stuff? ok so you pull the engine, rebuild the top or bottom end, whatevers fucked, put it back in,

axels suckin balls? replace the rear d35 with a 8.8 and rock on, front? does it need to be replaced or fixed? t-case is fuckered? pull and rebuild,ive done it a few times, OR goto pick a part and get another, there usually on special every so often. hell if you wanna rebuild it, then pull it and get the parts and i`ll do it, i like doing t-cases,

dont get rid of it, i was in the same boat cause mine has some dents and rust, but after thinking about the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars i put into it to do it all again....why...it runs perfect to me! so it looks like crap!, ITS MY CRAP!! LOL

lornix
09-14-2008, 11:55 PM
i dont understand what all is wrong with it? mostly driveline stuff? ok so you pull the engine, rebuild the top or bottom end, whatevers fucked, put it back in,

axels suckin balls? replace the rear d35 with a 8.8 and rock on, front? does it need to be replaced or fixed? t-case is fuckered? pull and rebuild,ive done it a few times, OR goto pick a part and get another, there usually on special every so often. hell if you wanna rebuild it, then pull it and get the parts and i`ll do it, i like doing t-cases,

dont get rid of it, i was in the same boat cause mine has some dents and rust, but after thinking about the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars i put into it to do it all again....why...it runs perfect to me! so it looks like crap!, ITS MY CRAP!! LOL

That's the whole rub,. I have sunk thousands into it and untold hours wrenching on it and in the end, the tranny is going, the t-case is shot, electrical system is a replace as it fails wiring job (as in bypass the stock and add a new circuit), cooling system is held in check by only the manual e-fan, some of the sensors are going, mounts are all toast, and on and on. It's gonna be a few thousand more by the time the smoke clears

I do have some parts gathered to fix some of it - t-case and matching 8.8 / D30 - both will need some stuff, but upgrading the tranny is an expensive and possibly beyond my abilities option - I have only ever done straight swaps, never a model change - I don't want another BA10.

Fuck, sounds like I'm whining :confused0006:

Fuck, I AM whining [16]

I can rebuild the winch no problem. As far as the body goes ...lol it's a trail rig and it shows, but not too worried about that - any 4x4 I own will lose it's virginal luster in short order.

So, do I keep polishing an old turd and missing out on all the fun, or do I get a fresher turd and polish it less?

I kills me to think of it getting squashed, but so far to go ... :dontknow:

I know what ya mean though ... IT'S MY FUCKIN' TURD [cheers]

:confused0006:

Josh_M
09-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Good story lorne, maybe its time to move on ? Find another heep in good working order, swap over your lift/tires etc. and your good to go ?

Happypants
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
if your runnin the crappy ba10 then i would mabey get a new one, especially if its got electrical issues, cause you may never find the culprit, but like i said, offers still open if ya need a hand, pulled a number of trannys, t-cases, and done my fair share of lift kits and axle swaps,

Rye Guy
09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
nice story !!!!!!

Build it bigger:happy0045:stronger:happy0045:break it Build it bigger:happy0045:stronger:happy0045:break it
Build it bigger:happy0045:stronger:happy0045:break it Build it bigger:happy0045:stronger:happy0045:break it

SHITTY
09-15-2008, 06:57 PM
sweet pics. where abouts is hale creek?

lornix
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Hale is in the West Harrison area.

Some great trails around there if you explore the side roads a bit. I usually look for an opening in the bush and start wheeling whatever trail is there. Lots of steep, rocky climbs and some pretty gnarly stuff that people don't know about. Some of the trails have side chutes of their own.

Back Roads Map book will get you to the area and from there just start exploring. It won't take you long to find some good stuff. I won't post the exact location online.

Watch out for mini vans and cars on the FSR.

WTF??? They are everywhere this year! I even saw a couple of guys in suits in some foreign sedan.

That area is getting overrun with city vehicles ... very bad.

Taxidermy
09-16-2008, 12:14 PM
awesome picture

redman
09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
or maybe buy somethig other then a jeep

dirka dave
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/work1.gif and buy a Toyota !!

[f]

lornix
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
:happy0045::happy0045::happy0045:

I can hear Lord Willy rolling over in his grave!

One of those nasty-ass 'Yotas with a flat deck on the back would be cool though, no doubt about that.

I also really like those big-ass Broncos ....

:confused0006:

Happypants
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
cause 22r`s put out wicked power lol not too mention the awsome frame thats so light you can see through it, the rust holes in it that is!