PDA

View Full Version : Someone who knows wiring, help!

Maelthra
09-09-2008, 02:32 AM
When my head lights are off, Everything works except the rear turn signals light up dim instead of bright.

When my head lights are on, my brake lights do not work, and using the turn signal makes both tail lights blink dim at the same time. Four way switch works properly (bright).

Is my headlight switch screwed? Or am I looking for a wiring problem somewhere between that and the rear end? I honestly have no idea.

pumpkin
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a bad ground for the tail lights.

johny5
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
i know with my 75 the wireing sucks, the head light switch and the plug melt.
im plaing to run some relays insted of running all the power through the switch

HEAVY METAL
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
ive had wierd lighting issues inmy chevy also.. turned out it the switch melted..

longhorn
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Ive had a couple of old Dodges with light problems.
Both times it was in the switch.
Melted one time and the other was loose wires.

Tehaids
09-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Ha, Dodge never seemed to figure out how to properly wire a truck. Everyone i have seem has had some form of wiring issues. I was looking for a decent (non-melted) wiring harness at a couple of different wreckers and was unable to find one. I ended up just taking pieces from several different trucks and making my own.

As for your lighting issues, check the switch also the wires that run to the headlights. Depending on how they are routed, the insulation might have worn thru causing a premature ground.

bigorange440
09-09-2008, 10:10 AM
do the headlight switch and make all new grounds for each light...i did that on my old dodge and never had a light problem again..i cut al the grounds off and regrounded them to the body

dirka dave
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a ground issue to me. :confused0006:

Try disconnecting a few things and see what happens.

I'll bet there is a socket that is grounded or a dual filimant light that is in the wrong socket.

Or what Heavy said, a melted switch.

Dodges are notorious for wiring problems, is the Hi/Lo swith on the floor ?

Maelthra
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
yeah, Foot switch for the high-beams.

Thanks for the input. Seeing how this afternoon goes at work maybe I'll tear the dash apart.

dirka dave
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Best thing to do when doing electrical work is to start at one end and work your way through the circuit step by step. Otherwise you will just be beating your head against the wall.

Maelthra
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
alright.

Unfortunately the lights just got bumped to the bottom of my list, I think the timing chain skipped so its running like a bag of crap. :(

Maelthra
09-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Timing wasn't the issue: I believed it was because it was running like garbage and knocking under accelerating. After screwing with the timing and the carburetor for a week and nothing helping, I reset everything to where it was and filled it up with a different brand of fuel, and now its running fine.

Esso fuel = Garbage.

I'll be digging into the wiring tomorrow.

Maelthra
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Headlight switch plug is melted, the brown wire is showing visible damage. Groovy.

ShuswapRedneck
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
not a hard fix anyway. If you're close, I can lend a hand

Maelthra
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Grande Cache alberta lol.

nbrowser
09-22-2008, 10:10 PM
hrm I've been thru a lot of Alberta, lived in Calgary for a long time....nice place to visit....anyways....yah electrical SUCKS just make sure to do the repairs properly and you won't have to do it again ! I might be in AB soon for a visit, lol

ShuswapRedneck
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
hmmm, ya...not close

redneckbitch 420
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
ahhhh, i know i'll prob get bugged for this one...but...when we bought our honda prelude it did the same thing and it all boiled down us having to replace the switches....other thing ...could possibly be the wiring harness?....just getting my first dodge but i've heard the wiring sucks in them

Lurker
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I've got gremlins as well, when I push the brake pedal, my interior light comes on as long as the headlights are on. And when I hit the turn signal, either way, both of the back signals blink and the interior light blinks. :)

But everything on the front is great. Just the rear is acting up. Strange. Heard something about maybe the brown wire is rubbing against the yellow wire somewhere between the firewall and the rear end in the harness....

Rubiconmike
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I've got gremlins as well, when I push the brake pedal, my interior light comes on as long as the headlights are on. And when I hit the turn signal, either way, both of the back signals blink and the interior light blinks. :)

But everything on the front is great. Just the rear is acting up. Strange. Heard something about maybe the brown wire is rubbing against the yellow wire somewhere between the firewall and the rear end in the harness....

I think yer switch is kupoot.
it runs the dimmer and the dome as well?
________
Vaporite Digital Herb Vaporizer (http://www.vaporizers.net/)