PDA

View Full Version : So I thought I had an Oil leak........

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 12:59 AM
I noticed some oil leaking out from my drivers side rear axle and thought I should investigate. When I got the wheel off the oil came a flowing. I guess it was holding a bit in behind the rim. Well next came time to remove the drum and guess what shoes are worn so bad they are jamming the drum on. And I dont have any bolts long enought to back the drum off with bolts through the front. Finally I soaked the brake shoes with brake clean and pried like crazy until it popped off. So no it looks like Bearings both sides, seals both sides and new shoes both sides. Oh well better drain the diff and finish pulling the axle..................... hmmmmm whats this big chunk of gear stuck to my drain plug? Well time to pull the other axle and the 3rd to take a look. Well what a bitch just as I thought a chunck of ring gear was chipped off. Even worse the photos show some pretty shitty wear marks and looks like the rest are ready to go soon.

So up up on stands she sits, sad and broken. Poor little Runner........ damn what a day.

Spedley
09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Its a little late now, but next time it'll be easier to get those drums off if u take that small rubber plug out of the lower part of the backing plate. From there you can back off the pads with that small gear looking wheel. Shitty deal about ur truck dude....

epic3
09-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Its a little late now, but next time it'll be easier to get those drums off if u take that small rubber plug out of the lower part of the backing plate. From there you can back off the pads with that small gear looking wheel. Shitty deal about ur truck dude....

PFFFFT!!
Dont tell him the easy way its not his style to do it the easy way he does it the Greg way.
shitty deal tho dudebut I thought you just did the gears in this

HEAVY METAL
09-09-2008, 07:28 AM
look alike ya need a new diff bud

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Actually its not to late as I did that but the adjustor was seized. Have a look at the condition of the brakes and springs. Its time for an overhaul.

HEAVY METAL
09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
is there a rear diske kit for those diffs?

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
PFFFFT!!
Dont tell him the easy way its not his style to do it the easy way he does it the Greg way.
shitty deal tho dudebut I thought you just did the gears in this

Nope still just factory gears. And the good thing is with the third out I could count the teeth and finally know for sure what gears I have.

MuddyWheeler
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Nice that it got you home. Shitty for the rebuild. So[f] what gears???

dirka dave
09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Shitty deal....

Time for a detroit !! [36]

[cheers]

Stetson
09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
is there a rear diske kit for those diffs?

ya there are some worthwhile upgrades. I've always wanted, but can't afford, the rear disc with full floater kit. http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=94&osCsid=847881b849fcc8f85acbb5c2c6d061ef

bakelite
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
That sucks Greg, hope ya get it all together running again soon. [cheers]

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Nice that it got you home. Shitty for the rebuild. So[f] what gears???

4.56's [36] [36]

tchevy
09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
water in the diff much?:D

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
water in the diff much?:D

Yeah something about driving into a lake and a few rivers with a cracked diff :dontknow:

If your looking for some recycled gear oil I have some great Royal Grey its the newest rage.:D

SHITTY
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
been there. no fun . except the garage beers

keegs
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
shitty deal man, so is that royal grey, like a synthetic, lol, and which lake did ya get that from, lol

epic3
09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
do ya think all the water in the oil is what killed the bearings

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
do ya think all the water in the oil is what killed the bearings
shut up phil what would you know Mr. Snout.

nbrowser
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm a unlicenced psycic and I see a vision of a new rear axle in BC_$RUNNER's future........nice work man !

theborges
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
ouch. blown gears no fun. My bro has gone through 2 sets of rear gears on his toyota

arjan
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Are your wheel bearings gone also?

I have an rear axle with elocker kicking around. Axle would be to wide, you'll need proper gears and a actuator unless you can unmuck the current one. It filled up with dirt and stopped working. I have it apart, it might be fixable with a lot of patience.

Drum brakes should be the same, might be able to use the parts.

$300 takes the whole thing including the locking diff.

Just throwing it out there.

Happypants
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
by the looks of it your pinion may be too close if your riding high on the coast end of the ring gear,

BC_4RUNNER
09-12-2008, 06:54 PM
by the looks of it your pinion may be too close if your riding high on the coast end of the ring gear,

Yup not long before I tear all the teeth off:(

Happypants
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
if you want to pull the pinion and add i would say 2 shims to the pinion and then re check it, you could prolly get away with running it like that for a while, take a grinder to it and smooth it out, try to get the contact patch away from the coast

BC_4RUNNER
09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
if you want to pull the pinion and add i would say 2 shims to the pinion and then re check it, you could prolly get away with running it like that for a while, take a grinder to it and smooth it out, try to get the contact patch away from the coast

I have another 4.56 third set up and waiting I just need 150 bucks to go get it. And the money to do the brakes and bearings.

If I had the tools money and time to re shim it I would give a go to putting in 5.29's. No point in sinking to much money into factory ring grears:dontknow: