PDA

View Full Version : Press for rear wheel bearing??????

BC_4RUNNER
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Does anyone have a press big enough with the right jigs to press the bearing off the axle shaft? It is a 1990 toyota 4runner rear axle and I put some pics up so you can see what I'm dealing with.[cheers]

johny5
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
take a zip cut and cut the retainer . then use a peice of pipe to put the new one on

Stetson
09-08-2008, 06:19 PM
10 second job, not meaning to sound like a smart ass, take off the "C" clip at the bearing, leave all the brake and backing plate on the end, put the drum back on the end, raise it above your head with the stub shaft down, and slam that stub as hard as you can into the ground. Do it only on concrete, ash fault you will put a hole in, and will not give enough shock. wear gloves as it may ricochet the vibe like hitting a wall with a bat. Works like a charm, and is even mentioned in your Haynes manual. If your having a problem further with it, I live close to you and could pop by.

epic3
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I got that stuff here

but you cant get here now can ya

Or do Like above BFI!!

slacker
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
just take it to a shop ..
mine were like $37.00 for both ...

BC_4RUNNER
09-08-2008, 08:34 PM
10 second job, not meaning to sound like a smart ass, take off the "C" clip at the bearing, leave all the brake and backing plate on the end, put the drum back on the end, raise it above your head with the stub shaft down, and slam that stub as hard as you can into the ground. Do it only on concrete, ash fault you will put a hole in, and will not give enough shock. wear gloves as it may ricochet the vibe like hitting a wall with a bat. Works like a charm, and is even mentioned in your Haynes manual. If your having a problem further with it, I live close to you and could pop by.

I had the brake assembly atached to the axlehousing and the put a slide hammer on the studs and gave it some pretty good pulls and that didnt break it free. Will slamming it down have that much more force?

And when I put the drum back on should I tighten the lug nuts all the way down? Or is it just to stop the shaft from popping out and hitting you.

BC_4RUNNER
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I got that stuff here

but you cant get here now can ya

Or do Like above BFI!!

I do have a lil golf to bring to richmond. Are you working late tonight?

Cheese eyes
09-08-2008, 08:52 PM

[iagree] that method works like a charm but i never raise them over my head [cheers]

BC_4RUNNER
09-08-2008, 09:02 PM
[iagree] that method works like a charm but i never raise them over my head [cheers]

What are the chance I will crack the slab in my townhouse garage. It already has a stress crack and I am not sure how thick it is. And yes................ if I crack the floor my wiffe will kill me. (or strata will):D

Cheese eyes
09-08-2008, 09:11 PM
walk down the street and hit it on the curb :D

it will only take a few hits [cheers]

lizard
09-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I brought mine to a shop , he used a 100ton press with a special pipe jig he made up just for the toyt , he also opened up the bearings and repacked them , no need for new bearings

toyota_dan
09-08-2008, 10:12 PM
buy new bearings there cheap for the peace of mind since they are a sealed unit.

the jig is easy to make, cut one side of an axle housing off and weld a foot long piece of some scrap square tube to each side adn bolt the axle into it like it was a normal housing. then set it up in a press and go to town.... pressing it back in i just use a piece of dom the right diameter and some other press tooling...both axles start to finish took me about 45 minuites not including the time for the jig to cool down after welding.

looking back if i didnt have everything but the bearings at my disposal free and a full shop at work to do it in, i'd skip the hassle and take it to a shop and pay the 20 odd dollars to have it done for you and go drink a coffee while you wait...[cheers]

redneckjim
09-09-2008, 12:58 AM
i did mine with a big hammer and a pipe and thay still work awsome

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I brought mine to a shop , he used a 100ton press with a special pipe jig he made up just for the toyt , he also opened up the bearings and repacked them , no need for new bearings

Which Shop Liz?[cheers]

dirka dave
09-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I had to take mine to Toyota to have mine done, cost $75 per side or something.....Worth it.

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I had to take mine to Toyota to have mine done, cost $75 per side or something.....Worth it.

$75 just to re and re the bearing or with the bearing?

dirka dave
09-09-2008, 07:58 PM
It was $75 per side labour..I can't remember how much the bearings were but I did buy OEM.

Lordco used to do the pressing but they damaged too many backing plates so they don't do it anymore.

BC_4RUNNER
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
It was $75 per side labour..I can't remember how much the bearings were but I did buy OEM.

Lordco used to do the pressing but they damaged too many backing plates so they don't do it anymore.

I usually go OEM on most my toy parts, but my hook up said most quality bearings are as good as toyota and alot less money. He recomended I go after market when I redid my front. So I did the same for the rear. The bearing was 30 ish.:dontknow:

lizard
09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Which Shop Liz?[cheers]

it was that 4x4 shop on fraser hwy & 152 sry , cant remember the name but the old guy there sure new his shit , makes his own leafs ect ect . think he charged 50buck cash for doin both axles

Stetson
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
im tellin ya, you pay your taxes, go outside and slam that stub into the sidewalk, or you can come over to my place and for $60.00 (that will save you 15) and ill use my press ;) and do em for ya. But seriously, it takes nothing to pop them off, you should try it yourself, just don't forget the snap ring. and a piece of pipe works great as a slide to hammer them back down, and it doesn't have to be heavy, only about a foot long. the tapping "shock" will hammer it down into place again to make sure your tapping the inner ring, not the outer that spins [cheers]

BC_4RUNNER
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Well it finally came down to it and we smashed it on the ground. Robo's land lord didn't like that too much so we took the second one for a drive.

Oh and make sure you drive it down straight, I kind of bumped the corner of the end shaft and now I have a few splines to file:dontknow: Oh well at least its done.

Little Samurai
09-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Which Shop Liz?[cheers]
Take them to B&J in PoCo on Broadway... Good shop (they do a lot of dealership machining etc.) and close to your work. Not that you want advice fron a Noob but if you cut the retainers off and manage to get the bearing off the shaft ok you can flip the bearing around backwrds and weld it to the end of a peice of pipe to use as a press, well to hammer the new bearings on anyways. No cracks in the townhouse slab = happy wife = happy toyota = happy you...BUT I'M JUST A NOOB WHAT DO I KNOW????:confused0006:

BC_4RUNNER
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Take them to B&J in PoCo on Broadway... Good shop (they do a lot of dealership machining etc.) and close to your work. Not that you want advice fron a Noob but if you cut the retainers off and manage to get the bearing off the shaft ok you can flip the bearing around backwrds and weld it to the end of a peice of pipe to use as a press, well to hammer the new bearings on anyways. No cracks in the townhouse slab = happy wife = happy toyota = happy you...BUT I'M JUST A NOOB WHAT DO I KNOW????:confused0006:

Well you don't know how to read........[f]:D

If you look above I did it this afternoon. Only thing was it damaged one of the axles so now I am trying to file the splines clean with out doing too much more damage. Thanks for the advice on B&J's autoparts, I know where it is but never hav been in.[cheers]

dirka dave
09-22-2008, 12:40 AM
B & J is a great shop, they have built three engines forme , My toyota and two marine 350's...delt with them for about 4 years, great bunch of guys there.

BC_4RUNNER
09-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Well now I need a new cylinder so it looks like I will have to replace both. Damn should have paid more attention to the rear when I did my lift:dontknow: