PDA

View Full Version : Additives

1tontoy
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Got a plug fouling cuz the rings are shot. Looking to get one more run out of this engine before I soak it and light a match.

Anybody use additives (like engine restore) to temporarily fix something like this? And what kind/brand were you using?

HEAVY METAL
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
burn it.. satryt wiht chev.. ur hald way thee

MetalMan
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I've tried additives. They're a crutch and a very poor one, you've got a mechanical problem and all the fluids in the world won't help. For the money you'll spend on them you might as well keep cleaning that plug.

HEAVY METAL
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I've tried additives. They're a crutch and a very poor one, you've got a mechanical problem and all the fluids in the world won't help. For the money you'll spend on them you might as well keep cleaning that plug.

ive got ythe other crutch... 100 bux wqew split the profit?

kootenaycat
09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Big can of Comet straight down the carb at WOT. :D

lizard
09-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Iave used that "no smoke" stuff on a vw I had , worked pretty good , it smoked like hell but that shit stopped it .

only took a couple of hrs to re ring and piston it later though.

kootenaycat
09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Iave used that "no smoke" stuff on a vw I had , worked pretty good , it smoked like hell but that shit stopped it .

only took a couple of hrs to re ring and piston it later though.

Believe it or not, I've heard the "comet" thing from more then one old school mechanic. Scuffs up the cylinder walls and allows the rings to seal again.......sometimes. Doesn't help if the rings are stuck in their grooves.

I'd run the shit out of it first to see if it loosens up.

1tontoy
09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I got a fresh rebuilt 4.3 Vortec ready to install in the truck. No point in doing anything to the engine, except maybe the Comet. But, I want to get one more run out of the rig as it sits before I park it and start tearing it apart. I don't normally do the crutch thing.