PDA

View Full Version : VW Westfalia '75

bcwheeler
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
so I tattooed this guy for his westfalia camper van and I m thinking I really want it to be more able then it is... So heres the ???? Is it possible to convert them to a 4x4 and how much work will it take ? Im thinking it needs soem room under it to fit a t case and another dif...

I do have a donor frame ,out in cash creek but were not totally sure what it is... its tiny frame maybe 8-9 ft long and 4 feet wide its 4x4 Ill have to go get some pics of it to see what it is?

I was also thinking just put a small winch on the front of it and some mud terrains, and call it done , but I think a full on 4x4 westfalia camper is a way better idea?

any input appreciated...

Apathy
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
ya need stuff from a volkswagon syncro.. they were 4x4

bcwheeler
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
stuff as in what jeremy ? the gear obviously .. but floors and stuff too? or does it bolt up sort of ..

barracuda
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
there were also some Westfalia Syncro also . It is not a small undertakeing to convert to 4x4 , may i suggest you try the westy off road first.
Mine would go almost anywhere a stock 4x4 would go people were always surprised at where we would go in it (no deep water though [16] ) . For gravel roads they are really good and very smooth.

bcwheeler
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
hose fucking syncros are costly lil shits

mista fitz
09-04-2008, 01:49 PM
maybe sell the westie (they fetch ok $$ too)... and get one of them Delica vans from Japan... 4x4 included. Great vans!

Syncros are WAY expensive & rare.. and fuck 'em.. the Delicas are way nicer and newer anyways.

bcwheeler
09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
hahahaha no deep water??? 2min 50 sec. into this video lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsWJnNymzg&feature=related

Halo
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
google 4x4 kombi australia. but then you may want to stuff a big block in there as well...

barracuda
09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
wow Now i really like those sycros.

Mine was a two wheel drive Auto, Gasser and i couldnt believe where it would go, the only thing it didnt like was deep water as the engine sits so low and the elctrics were not always the happiest.

I would guess those ones are water proofed which would have solved the issue.

Syncro westie[36] [36] [36]

epic3
09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
OK there was no syncro westies back in the 70's
Lock the rear raise the beam and put some decent tires on it you'll be amazed where it can go.
As for putting it on another frame where ya gonna make room for the engine? Theres not enough room between the seats for the engine even if it was a four banger.

Buuuuuuuut some guys do build 4by dubs with subbie drivetrains with the engine and transaxle mounted in the rear and a syncro frontend

But very expensive

barracuda
09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Sycros were 86 to 91 in NA I think. my two wheel drive was a 19 80 first year of the new style. as for the locker you could also get cutting brakes just like a dune buggy

Trooper
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Most poeple to the jetta syncro conversion. A lot of work tho 40k plus. If you are serious pm me a buddy of mine puts togther syncro 1.8t rabbits. They are porche eaters. Not cheap tho.

duff
09-04-2008, 09:32 PM
best off to just trade it back for a tatto..........

bcwheeler
09-06-2008, 12:26 PM
all good input the frame out there I think it might be off a subaru not so sure... have to go check this weekend... Ill post pics of it as soon as I get them ...

where there is a will there is a way ..

Oh and Duff,, good I dea now if I could just find some one out here good enough to get atattoo from .... bastard