PDA

View Full Version : question for jeep gurus

poostang
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
lookin at tradeing my 93 dakota for a 89 jeep yj it has tow package and a 4.2 2bbl 5spd

question is whats the prosand cons with the 4.2 2bbl
and ithas leafs in the front whats aeasy way lifting it

how are they on gas?
anyinfo is appreciated[cheers]

Nutbar
08-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Don't trade for a 4.2 to many little idiosynchrosies and don't get very good mileage, much better off getting a 4.0 . . . 91 - 95 = 4.0

to lift them BUY A LIFT KIT don't spring over . . . spring over on little Jeeps = POOOOOOOOO

Josh_M
08-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Yea the 4.2L's are shit... the carburetors in them are a realllly fucky setup. Gas mileage is shit. If you want uber cheap just block the sucker

Mr Vic
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
If you want uber cheap just block the sucker

you do not lift a YJ with blocks, YJ is spring under axle so it would lower it :mad0215:

buy a decent lift kit for the jeep, prob set you back around 900 or so for a good complete kit.

Moondog
08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Don't trade for a 4.2 to many little idiosynchrosies and don't get very good mileage, much better off getting a 4.0 . . . 91 - 95 = 4.0

to lift them BUY A LIFT KIT don't spring over . . . spring over on little Jeeps = POOOOOOOOO

The best advise I can give to you is LISTEN TO NUTBAR!!!!! what he does not know about jeeps ain't worth knowing [cheers]

Josh_M
08-30-2008, 10:53 AM
you do not lift a YJ with blocks, YJ is spring under axle so it would lower it :mad0215:

buy a decent lift kit for the jeep, prob set you back around 900 or so for a good complete kit.

bah body lift i mean:dontknow:

Nutbar
08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
body lifts are not good either unless you weld on lifts on to the frame mounts and place body bushings on top. Out of the box body lifts put way to much stress on the fasteners on the body, to long of a leverage point with the long bolt (some in the jeep kit are 7 in long) and the spacer on top of the body bushing and will end up tearing the floor out of the body. I have seen this too many times. Warlord had to rebody his jeep for this reason.

HEAVY METAL
08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
stupid warpussy....

giggityjeep
08-30-2008, 02:38 PM
89 would not be THAT bad, the carb is a PITA, but a quick swap for a weber or MC2100 will cure that and all the vac line issues, they are extremely easy to work on..with the factory carter it will suck gas, with a weber or MC, its livable. They are torquy as hell, which I like. But the 4.0 are pretty torquy as well.

the big downside to the 89 would be the crap tranny they came with, the 90ish like mine have the AX15 which is way better..The 89 is prolly a BA10.

lifts are easy to do on them as they are leaf, and opinions vary on spring overs, it is a way to get big lift from a small rig. BUT IS NOT a bolt on thing. I went 2.5" Old man EMu springs this year and am going SOA this fall, with an 8.8 swap.

all and all to do it again. I learned a lot about doing my jeep, but knowing what I know now, I MAY have waited for a FI in the 91-95 range. But now with the weber, and all the vac lines gone, and the posi lok. Shit -43 this winter, fired first try every day. My fucking SS malibu wont do that up here.

giggityjeep
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
body lifts are not good either unless you weld on lifts on to the frame mounts and place body bushings on top. Out of the box body lifts put way to much stress on the fasteners on the body, to long of a leverage point with the long bolt (some in the jeep kit are 7 in long) and the spacer on top of the body bushing and will end up tearing the floor out of the body. I have seen this too many times. Warlord had to rebody his jeep for this reason.

true dat....the PO has a BL in the jeep now, that is comng out when I do the SOA, but the floor is cracked and needs fixed, its a 3" BL..hate them

Nutbar
08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
89 would not be THAT bad, the carb is a PITA, but a quick swap for a weber or MC2100 will cure that and all the vac line issues, they are extremely easy to work on..with the factory carter it will suck gas, with a weber or MC, its livable. They are torquy as hell, which I like. But the 4.0 are pretty torquy as well.

the big downside to the 89 would be the crap tranny they came with, the 90ish like mine have the AX15 which is way better..The 89 is prolly a BA10.

lifts are easy to do on them as they are leaf, and opinions vary on spring overs, it is a way to get big lift from a small rig. BUT IS NOT a bolt on thing. I went 2.5" Old man EMu springs this year and am going SOA this fall, with an 8.8 swap.

all and all to do it again. I learned a lot about doing my jeep, but knowing what I know now, I MAY have waited for a FI in the 91-95 range. But now with the weber, and all the vac lines gone, and the posi lok. Shit -43 this winter, fired first try every day. My fucking SS malibu wont do that up here.

To each their own but I would smash, burn, and piss on every Weber I have ever seen/worked on the Carter BBD is a good carb if you know their problems and dissable the Fuel Feedback ECU. I very much prefer to work on the Carter a lot simpler and easier to work with.

89 was a split year on the tranny and could have either the Puegeot BA10/5, or the Aisin AX15. AX15 is a stronger tranny.

By the time you correct every problem the spring over causes those things and get them to drive well again you might as well have spent your money on a good complete lift kit and had it work right from the start

Jeep Victim
08-30-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a 470 Holley Offroad Avenger on a Carbed 4.7.Used a fuel pump from a jet boat and it feeds it regardless of how rough it's going or how fucked up the incline it is and have had no issues with it what so ever.Might give ya something to think about