PDA

View Full Version : 97' Vortec 350 to carb options.

Tha_Stepside
08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Buddy is looking into carbing a 97 Vortec 350, what are his options?

1_ton_k5
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Why would he do that? Did he get the engine without the ECM and harness?

Rene

pumpkin
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Anything, whatever he wants.

Tha_Stepside
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
because hes got one i guess, and its going in a 79' Stepside 4X4. The wiring is going to be a nighmare if he keeps the stock harnesses and TBI. Just want a simple carb conversion.

Nutbar
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
The port placement on the vortechs is slightly different than the old SBCs but I think you can buy intake manifolds that will do exactly what your buddy wants to do check out Edelbrock, I think you need the manifold and a carb style (non ECU controlled) distributor and you are somewhat good to go. The other thing you will want to watch will be the water pump and engine accessories, the engine will have had a serpentine belt system which will mean it will have a reverse rotation water pump on it you will have to switch it to a standard rotation pump to run V belts and I don't know if the bolt holes on the heads will let you use the old school accessory brackets.

Tha_Stepside
08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I belive he plans on using the serpintine set-up for everything. He got eh engine for $1700 with 95,000K on it. Everything included, as for the dizzy, what can he do there?

C.W.
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
He can run the serp set up from the vortec as long as he has the steering box from an 80 or newer with the metric fittings, and the alternator is a bit of a hassle to wire properly. Can also swap to a older water pump and run the V-belt pulleys.
As for intake......edelbrocks performer, performer rpm, vic jr. are all available in vortec bolt patterns to run carbed set ups. (I beleive the air gap ones are as well).
I have done the swap in a 1980 cutlass, first with all the wiring and injection then i switched to a carb with the performer rpm. Even with the stock cam they make good torque. Not lots of top end though.