PDA

View Full Version : well I'm looking at a 1987 toyota 4runner

jeep-neil
08-19-2008, 01:14 AM
LIke it said, I'm thinking about picking up this 4runner. it has nearly 400,000km on it but its had the head rebuilt not sure about anything else. It runs fine but it might need the timing to be set abit. probably a good tune up, it has fender rust int he rear aroudn the wheel wells, it doesn't bother me much. tops never been off second owner. it looks like the diff seals where the driveshaft enters the housing might need to be done. the frame is good. he wants 2150 for it. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much a installed rebuilt 22re goes for? just incase it decides to pack it in soon. also any tips to check out more ont he truck would be awsome. thanks for any information.

Arnee
08-19-2008, 06:17 AM
bring a ballbeen hammer and hit the frame near the rear spring hanger mounts in the outside and inside of the frame thats where they rust the most

shawn_ruley
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
$2000+ seems a bit steep for something with 400,000 k's:confused0006: ...even if its a toy.

dirka dave
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
only 400K ? its almost broken in...:D

I agree with Arnee, bring a hammer and check out the frame, everything else is cheap and easy to repair..

[cheers]

jeep-neil
08-19-2008, 10:57 PM
ill do that forsure, I'm looking at it again tomorrow. I checke dhte frame yesterday and it seemed good in all places, the pinion seals semmed to be leaking abit but I don't think those are hard to replace only disconect driveshaft and one bolt to get to them. I noticed ghe tailgate was abit rusty ont he bottom of it. the window works but if the tailgate is really bad, is it much of a problem to find a replacement and to replace it?

Toyquad
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
a vehicle with that many km's is gonna have problems. I dont think it would be worth getting a rebuilt engine for it. Look around, there are lots of good used engines around if indeed it needs one. Tailgates come and go.... sometimes theres lots around sometimes theres none. I wouldnt worry about it until it was totally fucked though. best thing to do with a high mileage vehicle is just drive it till she blows....... thats what im doin with my 4 runner thats getting close to 500,000km's

dirka dave
08-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Just sayin' that look at it first, then negioate...:confused0006:

I think 1200- 1500 would probably be a good deal as long as the frame is alright. :dontknow:
Be prepared to spend some cash on it or drive it into the ground.

shawn_ruley
08-20-2008, 12:02 AM
$1200 is about what I was thinking. Throw a new set of tires on it and see if the truck outlives the tires:D

jeep-neil
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
well I'm looking at it tonight and well see if I can get him that low. If not I don't think it will be worth it. I'll just take cash in hand it seems to work good sometimes. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let yah know what happens.

hamberger
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Ya what everyone else said. Look at it this way....... even if you got it for $1500 then go and get a rebuilt 22re and have a shop swap it in thats $3000 and then front IFS axle work at a shop will run another $1000 then add another $1000 for odds and ends that you want to do to it your looking at no less than $5000..................for that price you can get a really good
4Runner that some kid has spent thousands to build up but has to sell cuz they're going to school or something.
Patience grasshopper.

ham

epic3
08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Ya what everyone else said. Look at it this way....... even if you got it for $1500 then go and get a rebuilt 22re and have a shop swap it in thats $3000 and then front IFS axle work at a shop will run another $1000 then add another $1000 for odds and ends that you want to do to it your looking at no less than $5000..................for that price you can get a really good
4Runner that some kid has spent thousands to build up but has to sell cuz they're going to school or something.
Patience grasshopper.

ham

:s30x: