PDA

View Full Version : 3 link front end

Apathy
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
So, after a few years of beating on my junk, I'm going to get rid of the shitty radius arms on my pathy. They work OK, but i'm tired of getty my frame mounts hung up on rocks, trees, stumps, etc. Not to mension i've had to change the bushings 5 times in the last 2.5 years. (50 bucks a pop).

I'm debating on what to do. Here is what i'm looking at.

1) extend radius arms and put Johny joints at teh frame end. This will move them up and back, and my mount will be above or at frame height (instead of 3" below) this is the cheapest option.

2) build a custom 3 link using Johny joints on all 6 ends (most expensive

3) build custom 3 link using Poly bushings at teh axle and Johny joints at the frame

4) build custom radius arms using poly at the axle, and johny joints at the frame.

What are your opinions?
If i use the poly joints at the axle, which ones should be used?

FYI, johny joints and Heim joints are about the same price.

EIEIO
08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
#2 - Do it right and dont do it again [cheers] If your going that far into it you might as well. Should only be an extra $300 for joints and materials.

Apathy
08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
ya, thats what i figured, i'm just SOOO cheap, sometimes..

thanks man

anybody else?

brothergrimms
08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
go with the uniballs their take more of a beatin or go with evo heims both these are rebuildable cheap in the long run pathy

epic3
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
for the work money and time involved how much better would #2 be than #1?

Apathy
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
for the work money and time involved how much better would #2 be than #1?

thats my hang up.. I'm not convinced that the amount of money involved will give me THAT much better performance.. I don't have alot of uptravel anyway, i can't. Due to engine clearances. and i am not going to lift it more!

Apathy
08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
go with the uniballs their take more of a beatin or go with evo heims both these are rebuildable cheap in the long run pathy

grim, the evo joints are 77 bucks a piece and thats if you order 16 or more.

So figure 100 bucks a piece, thats 600 bucks just in joints, and i havn't bought tube, adaptors, or jam nuts.

I can get Johny joints with inserts, and jam nuts for 60 bucks a pice. Thats 360 bucks instead of 600.

Kinslayer
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
What is the current set up? is it a stock 4 link? If you replace it with a triangulated 4link (look at Bs rear..) you don't have to run a panhard.. i'd run greasable/rebuildable joints if they are going to be joints and not bushings.. I don't think bushings will move enough though.

epic3
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
its his front radius arm setup were talkin bout

Kinslayer
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
its his front radius arm setup were talkin bout

Yeah, but the same rules apply front to rear for the most part..just the location of the diff changes (in most cases)

Apathy
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
now, here are some things to take into consideration.

if i do a 3 link, my front end will travel more up and down, than in an arc..(as it does with the radius arms).

If it the pinion moves up and down, nad not in an arc, i MAY need a longer slip in my drive shaft... These are things that need to be looked into

Kinslayer
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
True.. but I'd suspect that it may HAVE that travel capability, but you might want to limit it so your upper arm doesn't come in contact with your motor/transmission..

Also, for an extreme up motion you would have to jump your truck..?

UU
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Boggers [f]

EIEIO
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Also think about the properties of a true 3 link compared to a radius arm. The stability that a proper set up 3 link would give you FAR outweighs a radius arm setup. And Gareth just did a 3 link on his front end in his hardbody so it can be done. I think he had to change oil pans. [cheers]

Apathy
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
The reason oil pans are changed is due to the funky drop on them. My HPD44 (full width) clears the oil pan. If i had any more up travel i would hit everything.. just the way it is.

on my rig, I wouldn't gain anything by changing the oil pan.. When i first did the SAS, i thought i would have to, but didn't. If a Waggy front end, or EB front end is used. You have to change it. (on a nissan 4x4 anyway)

epic3
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
you dont need to change shit

shorten the oil pickup and bash away

Apathy
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Until your on an incline and you loose oil pressure cause there isn't enough in the bashed up pan, and the pickup is too hight.

all you have to do is get a v6 2wd pickup oilpan and pickup.