PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea??

Toyquad
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
so, while greasing the wheel bearings on my boat trailer with the bearing buddy, it made me wonder if such a thing could also be done on my solid front end toyota. i was thinking, take the hub off, and drill a hole between the races, insert grease nipple and re install. let me hear your opinions, good idea? bad idea?

FWIW: im talking about the hub.... which houses the wheel bearings..... NOT the locking hub.

Apathy
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
in theory it sounds good, my major concern would be blowing out the seals. You have to have some place for the air to vent. I know they are not 100% sealed, but a grease gun delivers alot of pressure.

Toyquad
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
lol true........ but your assuming the seals in there are good LOL

bakelite
08-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Grease guns put out a lot of pressure, our machinist makes little jacks to move equipment with grease guns, something like 12 to 14,000 psi. :eek:

In applications similar to what you are thinking about we generally have labrynth seals so the grease,air and pressure have a place to escape.(too much grease causes heat) Good idea in theory, thought about it myself a lot. [cheers]

Apathy
08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
good point on the heat joe, didnt think of it. if you have that much grease inside a bearing housing, its gonna get hot, and potentialy do more damage than good.

dirka dave
08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I run synthetic grease in my wheel bearings and birfs, they seem to run cooler and displace water..:D