PDA

View Full Version : NP231 Swap Question

lornix
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
If all goes well I will be swapping my NP231 this weekend. As I am unsure weather the replacement was mated to a 21 spline or a 23 spline tranny output, there is a possibility of having to swap over the input gear from the old one to the replacement, as I have the dreaded BA10 tranny (21 spline).

The job seems easy enough to do, but having never done it before, anybody have any tricks or "watch-out-for-this" advise?

Yeah, yeah, I know, burn the BA10, but that won't happen without a sturdy AX15 replacement.

Thanks

Kinslayer
07-31-2008, 05:30 PM
If all goes well I will be swapping my NP231 this weekend. As I am unsure weather the replacement was mated to a 21 spline or a 23 spline tranny output, there is a possibility of having to swap over the input gear from the old one to the replacement, as I have the dreaded BA10 tranny (21 spline).

The job seems easy enough to do, but having never done it before, anybody have any tricks or "watch-out-for-this" advise?

Yeah, yeah, I know, burn the BA10, but that won't happen without a sturdy AX15 replacement.

Thanks

I recently pulled apart my 231 - it's pretty straight forward. If you are going straight for your input shaft don't worry about taking apart your rear output shaft cover - just split the case down the middle and have at it..the main shaft will slide out of the front half of the case nicely. You have to pull your front output yoke off so you can take the front output out at the same time (not necessarily required but helps to get the chain loose/off.

Here's a good teardown doc from AA:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/instructions/50-7906.pdf

Doesn't have all the way to the input shaft but it has some decent pics of the split.

lornix
07-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks man, I'll have a read through that tonight. I saw some similar stuff on another website. lol if I can find it I'll post the link too in case someone else can benefit.

Gotta pick up a few odd tools for the job too.

[cheers]

Kinslayer
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks man, I'll have a read through that tonight. I saw some similar stuff on another website. lol if I can find it I'll post the link too in case someone else can benefit.

Gotta pick up a few odd tools for the job too.

[cheers]

flat tipped (wide) snap ring pliars and a socket set..

lornix
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Here's another write up I found that has some good pictures and diagrams.

http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=20