PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Silverado brake job questions...

godtool
07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I started to do a brake job on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 yesterday with my one good arm but decided to stop and wait till September after the cast is off my arm and the new tendon connections are working good 'n strong:D .

Plus I hope to get a new impact gun on the Aug 26th (my b-day)[36] . So in the meantime do some research on the job. I bought a Haynes manual too... I know some say they are no good :p but gives me a good starting point. I do have some questions…

What size of torx is this bolt on my caliper..45, 50 or 55? Or?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/calliper_bolt.jpg

Also my rear axle seals are leaking so I hear it may be a small seal but depending what diff I have it could be a big diameter seal… While this is all apart I will change my emergency brake shoes. Anyone have any pics of this all taken apart? Is it worth re-packing the rear bearings and changinf the axle bearing or is there no axle bearing (on a full-floater). The Haynes manual only shows the ½ ton version…

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/axle_oil_seal.jpg

Also I tried pounding this rotor off with my 5lb sledge and it did not even budge. Maybe I just need to soak it down with wd40? There appears to be no clips on the studs.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/rotor.jpg

dirka dave
07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Inside the rear rotor there is a small set of brake shoes that is your parking brake. You need to back them off before you can pull the rear rotor.

epic3
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
you gotta pull your axles to get the rotor off

kootenaycat
07-22-2008, 09:46 PM
you gotta pull your axles to get the rotor off

That year should have slip off rotors, should have..... :confused0006:

And no you don't need to repack bearings, they run in the diff oil. But as Epic said, you need to pull the axles anyways to get the hub off. As for the torx size, sorry, haven't had the pleasure of working on a lot of newer Chevy's. Just buy a set of torx sockets from T10 to T55, eventually you'll have a need for just about every one of them.

godtool
07-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the tips... the rotors do slip off too. As for changing the axle seal I guess I pull axle, take out wheelbearing locknut, bearing, then hub comes off? Hope to start on it in september...

Hicksy
07-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Good luck!

nebowe
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
When ya do the axle seals...make sure that your diff vent is clear and maybe position it a little higher if ya like the mud...could be the pressure is building up inside021 the diff and blowing the oil past the seals...just my $ 0.02

Growly Gorilla
07-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the tips... the rotors do slip off too. As for changing the axle seal I guess I pull axle, take out wheelbearing locknut, bearing, then hub comes off? Hope to start on it in september...

2 piece seal,you'll need to give'er a little pry to get it to come off.
Spring clip holds in a key,remove spring-clip,key,then nut.

Make sure you use the GM seals! May-be a little more $$ but worth it.

Growly Gorilla
07-27-2008, 08:58 AM
When ya do the axle seals...make sure that your diff vent is clear and maybe position it a little higher if ya like the mud...could be the pressure is building up inside021 the diff and blowing the oil past the seals...just my $ 0.02

updated seals,old style were prone to leaking.

godtool
08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds a little complicated but I'll try it. Might ust have GM do the whole job. I won't be tackling it myself till October....

Dirtybert
08-10-2008, 08:11 AM
gm charges about $100 hr and the price for parts is crazy!!! id find someone els to do it. a place that will let you bring the parts would be best.

godtool
08-10-2008, 08:18 AM
If I do the job myself I'll need to get my old old impact gun rebuilt or buy a new one. If I buy a new one, and including parts with my jobber discount it come to about $1000 in parts. GM qouted me about $1400 to do the whole works. My left arm is out-of-use till Oct until me rcent surgery heals. I hope to do it myself if I have time. I deserve a new impact anyways.... until then whats a good 1/2" impact to buy? Lordco had on on sale, $280 down to 180. I think it said CP on the back and had a longer 1/2" bit to hold those flip sockets. I'd like to buy a usa or Canadian made one, maybe an ingersol-rand with some major reverse torque...

Dirtybert
08-10-2008, 08:21 AM
get a second qoute
just sayin[cheers]

godtool
08-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I was actually supposed to call gm back for a final qoute because at first I got a qoute for just the brakes\rotors and they gave me another qoute for the rear seals and emergency brake shoes. It was kind of confusing:confused0006: so I told them I wanted everything done at the same time, not two individual jobs. So they said there would be some overlap so to call back for afinal qoute....which I have yet to do. I phoned 2 other garages but they never got back to me as of yet.

Between Lordco and Tasco parts are heck of a lot cheaper than gm. Lordco has onshore rotors for 180? and offshore ones for 80. I just got 3 tendons transferred in my left arm... my fingers and thumb are basically useless right now, can't close my thumb, lots of physio in next few weeks, hand will now open, all it did before was hold tools, hold vice grips, pick-up rubber maid boxes... It was working kinda ok before but docs say it will be much more functional in future... hope these pics don't gross any one out...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/August%202008/front_of_arm.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/August%202008/back_of_arm.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/August%202008/new_splint.jpg

Growly Gorilla
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
gm charges about $100 hr and the price for parts is crazy!!! id find someone els to do it. a place that will let you bring the parts would be best.

not here and you get what you pay for,but seeing I work there i may be biased,but the wife does work for Lordco.

godtool
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I like the fact if you get gm to fix it, they would know best when working on there own product. Plus I may have Growly working on it which is a bonus!

Tasco does better on some parts vs. Lordco. Plus being a "Lion" I get even a better deal here and there!