PDA

View Full Version : Charging batteries in the bush?

Chris.S.
07-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I have a 12v deep-cycle that I use for my electric boat motor. This is my first boat and/or motor so I don't know much about them.

I'm wondering about how to recharge it while I'm camping. I've come up with two ways that may work (without having buy anymore stuff):

1. Hook a set of booster cables from my truck battery to the dead battery and leave the truck running.

2. Start my truck and then while it's running swap the dead battery into my truck.

Is either of those a good idea? Are they both horrible/dangerous/useless ideas?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ideally I'd buy a solar panel and just let that charge it but I'm already into this for more $$$ than I intended to spend so I need to keep this cheap for now.

Thanks~

Tinker
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Put in a Battery isolator and charge from that so you don't wreck your alternator.

Jeepnut
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Generator and a battery charger

Moondog
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Solar panel. I use the roll up one that you can get from canadian tire it comes up on sale all the time I paid $79 for mine it should have been $129

Chris.S.
07-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Put in a Battery isolator and charge from that so you don't wreck your alternator.

I had no idea what an battery isolator was so I google'd it and it sounds like that would work decently.

Would I just have one mounted under the hood and then hook up the leads to my dead boat battery when the time comes? And if that's right could I use jumper cables to make that connection?

Thanks

dirka dave
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Solar panel would be the best way to go...

Kinslayer
07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Solar will be something you will want regardless - you can hook it up IN the boat charging the battery when you are just floating.. but i'd say you should run a battery isolator, then run wires back to a location you can mount the battery while you are driving to charge it as well.

epic3
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
just dont let the battery run beyond 80% DOD otherwise it will take forever to recharge

dirka dave
07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Deep cycles are designed to run flat then recharge.....

Tehaids
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Got kids? Get an excercise bike and a small generator (like the ones used for power a bicyle headlamp). Put those little bags of engery to work for you for a change.

Kinslayer
07-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Got kids? Get an excercise bike and a small generator (like the ones used for power a bicyle headlamp). Put those little bags of engery to work for you for a change.

And they can sew wallets with their free hands!

epic3
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM

no they're not.
80% dod is as far as you can take em before problems.

degsey
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged down as much as 80% time after time, and have much thicker plates. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge. This gives less surface area, thus less "instant" power like starting batteries need.

Chris.S.
07-17-2008, 06:21 AM

I think we better start working on some kids, that's a great idea!

Greg82
07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Read this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/dual_battery/my_dual_battery_setup.htm

Chris.S.
07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Read this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/dual_battery/my_dual_battery_setup.htm

Excellent link, thanks!