PDA

View Full Version : question

bcwheeler
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
does the front half shaft in my grand cherokee have the cage with bearings in it? And if it does how hard is it to change out?
Just blew mine out of my truck climbing a stump in my yard ....

Tunabomber
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
dont know

nut bar to the head of the class please

but on another note that sure is a good place to break [cheers]

Nutbar
07-13-2008, 11:43 PM
The shaft in yours, Mike, should be the regular u joint CV shaft . . . it should have a single 1310 ujoint at the diff end and 2, 1310 ujoints in a big knuckle at the Tcase end.

The other style would have a frt wheel drive car style CV joint at the diff end with a big rubber boot covering it. If it has this style (which yours shouldn't) it is fairly easy to swap to the regular ujoint style, you just have to get the ujoint yoke for the diff which you can grab off of any D30 from the Grands YJs XJs or MJs and the ujoint style shaft from a V8 grand

bcwheeler
07-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Mike but I was refering to th efront axle shaft passenger side, I blew the bits and pieces out of it shatterred the casing and the boot exploded pil eof bearings and chase parts all neatly stacked for me in the dirt..

cant believe it blew like that I have climbed way bigger shit then that, maybe it was just its time to go .. Picked one up at Lordco today shouldnt be too big of a fix..

Cheers Mike thanks

Nutbar
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
AHHHH I see so I guess U figured out that yours does have the CV joints rather the ujoints then again yes you can change to the ujoint axle shafts for yours you will just want to find D30 shafts from 94 and later XJ(non disconect) TJ or some of the ZJ grand axles, all 91 and later non disconect will fit your housing but the 94 and later take the larger D44 ujoint.

bcwheeler
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
but dont I want th edisconnect type as I do have disconnects? also I would have to change out the hub assembly as well right.. I may just be confused, this is a double offset cv joint on the front passenger side, now If it is possible to swap this out for a u joint style, isnt it going to be tougher with less travel , ??? all swapping it out would do is get rid of the boot and cv crap right , but wont that cause more binding? Im not too good with these things still , although learning with every part broken lol..

I got it all apart right up till teh hub nut which is on there pretty good and I dont have the right socket to remove it , do you off hand know the size it is? actually it shouldnt be an issue , once I take the steering knuckle off it should all come otu together right? I dont knwo Im consulting the hanes book and it isnt too clear on it ..

thanks again Mike