PDA

View Full Version : Cant fill my propane tank?

Rdnk_Wmn
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
We went to fill up yesterday, same place as always, gas station across from lordco, and it was on E.... ooppsie.:o
anyways, its usually about 60 bucks to fill er up.. the guys filling it up and sais, ok shes full.. so i look at the thing to read how much it was.. it said 29.85.. i said dude, its not even half full, get fillin!.
It wouldnt take anymore?... you can see fumes shootin out the sides.. so we went to another place thinking that maybe it was the dork fillin it up but it did that same thing.. why wont it fill up?:confused0006:

thought? answers?
anything,
Thanks guys
[cheers]

Murd0c
06-22-2008, 01:35 PM
sounds like you may need a new autostop, how old is the tank?

chevy69chevelle
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
sure ur gauge aint workin? :dontknow:

FU Toolbag
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
you can see fumes shootin out the sides..

?? Do you mean from the spitter, or from the tank? Is it remote fill or directly to the tank. I fixed one a couple years ago for a friend that had rotted through the connections for the remote fill. It was shooting out the sides.

Troy
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
anyways, its usually about 60 bucks to fill er up..
[cheers]

kind of off topic but how long does that 60 bucks last you?

RIFF RAFF
06-22-2008, 06:22 PM
same thing happens to us. we are sure that it needs way more than the 4 dollars it takes. or we go somewhere else and they say its full. we know its not then we go somewhere else and we get more in. the supersave on the hwy by 207 always says we are full, so we make another stop and go to the old mowhawk(now a husky) in town and they seem to fill it up after we leave super save....

Rdnk_Wmn
06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
kind of off topic but how long does that 60 bucks last you?
about two days of driving back and forth to town a couple times, into pitt meadows once a day.
Its really good on fuel.

Rdnk_Wmn
06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
The tank is brand new, everything is brand new.
and the gauge isnt broken becasue you can only put 30 bucks in.. and it takes 60....

Rdnk_Wmn
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
?? Do you mean from the spitter, or from the tank? Is it remote fill or directly to the tank. I fixed one a couple years ago for a friend that had rotted through the connections for the remote fill. It was shooting out the sides.
from the spitter, remote fill. but its all brand new

crazylike
06-23-2008, 10:17 AM
maybe you have a vapor lock. did you fill it on a hot day when the tank was low or almost empty?

Rdnk_Wmn
06-23-2008, 11:40 AM
it wasnt a hott day, but it was on empty

Ginger Snaps
06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
[f] its cause your gay and no one likes you

Tinker
06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Try cooling the tank first, Had the same problem on an old tow truck I used to drive. Wouldn't accept any propane when hot.

Rdnk_Wmn
06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
:dontknow: [f] its cause your gay and no one likes you
Probably....
but your still hangin araound:confused0006:

Ginger Snaps
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
:dontknow:
Probably....
but your still hangin araound:confused0006:

whatchu talken about willis....:dontknow:

Kinslayer
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
You gotta purge the tank, then prime the tank... Like it was a brand new one from the store.

Just tell em that it's not filling right and it needs to get purged.. it will cost ya a few bucks to do it but y'know.

Murd0c
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
if that shit doesn't work let me know I will get you the correct answer on how to fix it in 2secs

Ginger Snaps
06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
must be cause she smells...

Troy
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
You gotta purge the tank, then prime the tank... Like it was a brand new one from the store.

Just tell em that it's not filling right and it needs to get purged.. it will cost ya a few bucks to do it but y'know.

ya where i work they purge propane tanks with nitrogen, that what you mean:dontknow:

FINGERS
06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I could tell you ,but then i have to kill you

Rdnk_Wmn
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
ok thanks guys:D..

and Skinny... SHUTTY

Rdnk_Wmn
06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I could tell you ,but then i have to kill you
:eek: i feel the love

Ginger Snaps
06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
ok thanks guys:D..

and Skinny... SHUTTY

Oh my lanta stealing my lingo like always[16]

Kinslayer
06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
ya where i work they purge propane tanks with nitrogen, that what you mean:dontknow:

I'm not entirely sure what it does..but new tanks are 100% air inside..so to fill them they have to 1/4 fill them or something, then depressurize, then 1/4 fill them again, depressurize..repeat a couple times.. basically the goal is to force the air out of the tank to allow room for liquid propane - air wont compress into a liquid so it eats up space in the tank that would normally be filled with liquid propane.

Rdnk_Wmn
06-24-2008, 05:36 PM
well we filled her up today, i guess it was just that day .... i dunno

Cookie
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
ya sometimes it happens with temps, just filler the best ya can then let it sit a day, or just use it and go back. its a pain but it is a compressed gas

chevy69chevelle
06-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not entirely sure what it does..but new tanks are 100% air inside..so to fill them they have to 1/4 fill them or something, then depressurize, then 1/4 fill them again, depressurize..repeat a couple times.. basically the goal is to force the air out of the tank to allow room for liquid propane - air wont compress into a liquid so it eats up space in the tank that would normally be filled with liquid propane.

truck tanks have vents on them to release the air/gas in it as you fill... bbq tanks u need to purge

1tontoy
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
truck tanks have vents on them to release the air/gas in it as you fill... bbq tanks u need to purge

That makes sense, but even so, as the liquid propane is used, what fills the void it leaves? Has to be be atmosheric air, right? And when the bottle is empty, you take it is and fill it. They don't purge the bottle at the filling station, do they? The liquid propane goes in, and because its heavier than air, the air is displaced. Am I right? Or even close?

barracuda
07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Itontoy why do you suppose the propane is a liquid???? :party0010:

1tontoy
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Itontoy why do you suppose the propane is a liquid???? :party0010:

I didn't stay in school long enough to take a chemistry class, so I am probably way out in left field on this, but...

Isn't propane a gas, unless confined? Meaning, unless you exert pressure on it, enough to make it condense into a liquid, it will be found as a gas?

Now, to contain a gas, because of its molecular makeup, it will take a much larger vessel than it would to keep the equivilent as a liquid. Whih leads me to assume that if we, as technologically advanced as we are, are going to store a substance, we would store it in its most condensed form, thereby allowing us to store more of it.

Like I mentioned, once you begin to use a tank, something has to fill the void left by...

Oh, forget it. I figured it out. Looks like a I should of stayed in school.

m j
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
the void is filled with gaseous propane
this is the cool part about lpg systems
the boiling point is temperature and pressure dependant in a useable range
starting with a full tank you draw liquid out, reducing the pressure when you reduce the volume
as the pressure drops below the boiling point some of the liquid in the tank boils off into gas form, until the pressure goes above the boiling point
so you get a fairly constant tank pressure, unless you have a black tank sitting in direct sunlight :) then you get to try the blowoff valve

Rdnk_Wmn
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
we fixed the problem thanks though!! we got my tank purged

RebelAngelle
08-16-2008, 03:12 AM
blah blah blah

glad your probhlem is fixedered

FU Toolbag
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
we fixed the problem thanks though!! we got my tank purged

How did they "purdge" it and what did they say that made it beleivable that it was nessesary?